Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed, the ruthlessly unforgiving tactical shooter experience. Unofficial expansion pack for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (2001), with 200+ maps, 400+ weapons, tons of other content, packed with ass-kicking realism and countless gameplay improvements. It's time to revisit the King of tactical realism shooters!
Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed is a hardcore tactical realism mod / expansion pack for the universally acclaimed and multiple GOTY award winning squad-based military first-person shooter Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (2001), originally developed by Red Storm Entertainment.
Heroes Unleashed offers a ruthlessly unforgiving tactical shooter experience by maximizing realism in every aspect of the game. Weapons perfectly match their real-life counterparts in accuracy, effectiveness, and handling. Your AI opponents display terrifying levels of tactical acumen in trying to outwit you through flanking, laying down suppressive fire, hiding, taking cover, etc. Missions take place in realistic open-world environments and are completely nonlinear, with a minimum of scripted events and lots of random elements for infinite replayability.
The mod pushes Ghost Recon's tactical realism gameplay to the absolute extreme and sets it lightyears apart from anything you are accustomed to in todays ubiquitous action shooters. One bullet can kill, there are no med packs, no health regeneration, no sci-fi equipment, enemies are not shown on HUD, there is no handholding, no guide towards your objectives. There is just you and your squad of elite soldiers, pretty much on your own out there deep behind enemy lines, with cautious tactical execution being your best bet to survive.
Whether you play alone, with friends via Internet or local network, either cooperatively against AI or in adversarial PvP / TvT challenge, Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed delivers rivetingly realistic squad-based military tactical FPS combat hard to find anywhere else.
PS: To enjoy Ghost Recon and the Heroes Unleashed mod to the fullest, I urge you to join the most awesome tactical realism FPS fan community at the GhostRecon.net forums, as you won't be able to find a nicer crowd of people and more in-depth Ghost Recon resources anywhere else!
• Intensified focus on hardcore tactical realism gameplay
• Enhanced and extended Ghost Recon trilogy SP / MP CO-OP campaigns
• Nonlinear randomized SP / MP CO-OP mission and game type execution
• Cinematic mission intro & outro cutscenes for single player
• Automated save game function for single player missions and games
• Huge choice of maps (over 200 total), available in all SP / MP games
• Overhauled realistic map environments (viewing and drawing distance)
• Dynamic mission weather change (precipitation, intensity, direction)
• Novel random mission generator for SP / MP CO-OP on all maps
• Many new and improved game types (100+ total for SP / MP combined)
• Comprehensive SP / MP CO-OP tactical score / rating system
• Intricate AI stealth / enemy detection and alertness routines
• Improved overall opponent and friendly AI capabilities and behavior
• Loads of authentic weapons and equipment items (more than 400 total)
• Revamped equipment kit selection menus (quick equipment browsing)
• More realistic weapon characteristics, handling, and ballistics
• Closer to real-world bullet penetration and wounding system
• Innovative new weapon sight zoom effect (visible weapon scope)
• Reworked SP kits and MP unit and equipment restrictions setup
• Extra characters (more than 1,000 total) with many new attachments
• Expanded SP team character appearance (varying character skins)
• Additional marksman character for SP Ghost team and all MP teams
• Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) updated to Advanced Combat Uniform (ACU)
• Added MP units (Navy SEALs, SAS, Delta Force, KSK, Spetsnaz, etc.)
• Supplementary military and civilian vehicles (more than 100 total)
• Boosted audio dynamics and scores of authentic new sounds
• Countless new high-resolution textures and more detailed 3D models
• Updated user interface (menus, HUD, command map, PDA, sounds etc.)
• Optimized for current 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio HD displays
• Tons of technical and gameplay fixes, adjustments, fine tuning, etc.
• Customizable to personal preference via 50+ included add-on mods
• Immeasurable treasure in game- and mod-related bonus content ;)
• Streamlined file / folder naming and structure for easier modding
• Elaborate measures for compatibility and discrete modular content
• Included development tools and essential modding information
• Cross-platform compatible (same download for Mac and PC)
• Mac OS 9.2 / OS X 10.1-10.x, Windows 9x/ME/2k/XP/Vista/7/8/10 (x86/64)
• 1.0 GHz processor (2.0 GHz or faster recommended)
• 512 MB RAM (2 GB or more recommended)
• 64 MB video card (512 MB or better recommended)
• 1024x768 or 1280x720 display resolution (1920x1080 Full-HD or higher recommended)
• 640x480 resolution support for game menu and movie playback
• 19 GB available disk space (up to 26 GB during installation, fast SSD recommended)
• Hi-Fi stereo or surround sound (surround sound gaming headset recommended)
• 56 kbps TCP/IP connection (for network / online play, broadband access recommended)
• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (2001), updated to version 1.4 (preferably English version)
• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Desert Siege (2002) official expansion pack
• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Island Thunder (2002) official expansion pack
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon may still be going strong with the release of the open-world Wildlands early next year, but it’s the 2001 first entry in the series that many still feel offers the best in tactical, squad-based action. While Rainbow Six was Ubisoft’s urban-focused tactical shooter, Ghost Recon took the action outdoors with wide open environments that promoted planning and careful execution.
Now, a mod for that game created by the one-man team of developer “Apex”, called Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed, has released its final open beta version. It’s a significant moment, as the mod has been in development since the game’s debut 15 years ago, and arrives on the anniversary of the game’s release.
First publicly released in 2008, the mod aims to be a definitive compilation of original improvements, refinements, and additions, many of which are inspired by the classic and most-loved mods that have endured over the game’s lifetime. Heroes Unleashed also aims to make Ghost Recon and even more demanding and hardcore tactical experience, as Apex describes:
“Weapons perfectly match their real-life counterparts in accuracy, effectiveness, and handling. Your AI opponents display terrifying levels of tactical acumen in trying to outwit you through flanking, laying down suppressive fire, hiding, taking cover, etc. Missions take place in realistic open-world environments and are completely nonlinear, with a minimum of scripted events and lots of random elements for infinite replayability.”
You can download the final open beta here, for Mac or PC, in a 6.2GB package. Though this is just the final beta, Apex says that the full “version 1.0” of the mod will be released “when it’s ready”. The original Ghost Recon can be purchased via Steam or GOG for US$9.99, and the mod requires both the Desert Siege and Island Thunder expansion packs. To discuss the mod and find game servers to play it online, make sure to join the fan community at the GhostRecon.net forums.
After about one and a half decades of development I've finally finished the (hopefully) last beta version of Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed before the...
AOG (Army of Ghost Recon) is one of the oldest Ghost Recon clans with the longest running Ghost Recon game servers on the internet for both adversarial...
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
New version of Heroes Unleashed, the ruthlessly unforgiving tactical shooter experience. Unofficial expansion pack for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon. 150...
Highest Rated (4 agree) 10/10
I had to come back to this mod so I can review. There really aren't any words to explain how much I love this mod. It should probably be called Ghost Recon Perfected. It adds all the ghost recon content in one whole Mod then adds as a ton of more content on top of that. This mod and the ARMA series are just about the only two realistic tactical shooters I only play. This one shoots at 2nd on my list. With the new XL XXL mission types I can have even more fun! The amount levels make an endless server…
Apr 6 2011 by Computica