Welcome to Mod DB and the 6th Annual Mod of the Year Awards - the definative event that showcases the best mods and indie games in the world and recognizes the teams behind them. The MOTY is a tribute to the creativity, dedication & hard work independent developers put into creating unique gaming experiences that enable us to "play something different".
Over the coming months we will showcase to you the best mods and games in the industry. You vote for those you believe are worthy of recognition. At the top of this program sits the ultimate prize, the mod of the year award won previously by Natural Selection, Red Orchestra, PoE2 and Garry's Mod. Thanks to our sponsors, this year we have a few surprizes up our sleaves not to mention a slew of prizes for the participating teams.
From Dec 1st to Jan 1st, industry professionals, developers, gamers and the general public cast their votes to decide which mods define the cutting edge of interactive entertainment and which mod teams attain gaming celebrity.
Follow the links to join us on an unforgettable journey as we present the 2007 Mod of the Year.
After rounding out the best of 2007, we're ready to present the results.
Posted by stenchy on Jan 28th, 2008 Page 4 of 4
5. Minerva - The latest chapters in Adam Foster's mod represent his honed craft of level design that rivals commercial products out there today. The mod takes place in the Half Life 2 universe where you find yourself dropped on an island occupied by Combine forces. Your only help along the way is the riddles and sordid comments Minerva herself provides you with, likening her to other popular characters the Half Life series is notable for (G-Man, GlaDos). This latest installment has even had some input from some of the staff at Valve during the development phase. It's no wonder why many consider it to be the best single player mod for Source released so far. Minerva comes in at number five for mod of the year. Don't forget to watch the brand new trailer below:
4. Forgotten Hope 2 - Journey back into the days of World War II and relive the african campaigns and battles that took place there. Forgotten Hope 2 is an amped up sequel that is redone on the Battlefield 2 engine and tops the original in every way. The combat is action packed both on the ground and in the air. The dogfights are always entertaining and while on foot or in a vehicle, you'll flinch everytime you hear the deadly whistle of airdropped bombs. Vehicles are widely available in-game and enable gripping mechanized rushes at the beginning of every round. Desert rats around the world like this mod so much they voted it number four for released mod for the year. The Forgotten Hope 2 team provides yet another exclusive trailer below:
3. Empires - Empires sets itself apart from most mods by occupying a hybrid genre. It mixes the resource management of real-time strategy with the fast paced action of a first person shooter. You play as one of two factions that cooperate with their commander to customize the lay of the land as they construct their base and obstacles for their opponents in wide open maps. A full tech tree is available for research which allows players to customize vehicle weaponry, armor and speed. The depth and variety of options in this mod can result in many scenarios on each map which keeps the multiplayer experience fresh. This new and improved version of Empires commands its way into the top five, coming in as the number three mod of the year.
2. Project Reality - As the name suggests, Project Reality's primary focus is combat realism and, where other mods have failed, Project Reality has succeeded. Teamwork and coordination are paramount for players to succeed in the huge maps with numerous objectives. Planning and communication is key and you will find yourself building a good camaradarie with other players as a result. Virtually everything has been updated and added to, including maps, game modes, weapons, sounds and player classes. With its consistent high quality and regular releases, many consider Project Reality to be a bigger, better incarnation of the original Battlefield 2. For its dedicated pursuit of realism, players have voted it the number two mod of the year.
1. Insurgency - Whether guerilla tactics or convential warfare is your style, Insurgency has you covered. This mod has you choose between US Marines or the insurgents as you take part in an all out assault to capture map points in various middle eastern locales. Insurgency brings something new to the frontlines with its unique reinforcement system and economized heads-up display that only displays the most pertinent information. Add detailed environments and wonderfully percussive sound effects to the mix and you have the makings of a winner. It was a close victory this year, but Insurgency battles its way to the top of the pile as the player's choice mod of the year. In celebration of its victory, Insurgency has put together a look back at the life of the mod and all its accomplishments: