Contra 008 Beta II. Happy New Year to all of you!!! We are happy to inform you that Contra 008 Beta II release is ready!
ontra is a freeware modification for Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour real-time strategy game. It's a big project started in 2004. It adds many new units as well as numerous new upgrades, new general's powers and buildings. It also adds new sounds, maps, bug fixes, enhanced graphics, and other effects, as well as three new generals.
008 - work in progress...
The generic feature of this general is his mobility, which allows to move
an entire army very fast and create numerical superiority at desired
areas of the battlefield. His basic strategy is unstoppable maneuvering
along enemy base perimeter. If he finds a weak point in defense, he
moves there instantly and destroys the most significant targets.
Air Force general depends on speed and precision. He requires skillful
control and is heavy on micro management. While being a powerful general
the skill and experience required makes him difficult for many
beginners to play.
Laser is a versatile general strong in call situations. He is flexible and has
units to fill every combat role. As a result he has no weaknesses other
than being a specialist at nothing.
Advantage of this general is easy micro and very simple strategy. Almost the same
vs all enemies - build up around enemy until he dies. However, you
should not ignore other abilities.
He has the same strategy as tank general, but another means for its
implementation and another battle tactics. His vehicles are not as
armoured as tank general's ones, so he has to use artillery and
different tactics, and tricks, instead of forcing his way through.
Nuke General must rely on aggression to defend his base. He has no defenses
to hide behind while you wait for your nukes to load. The absence of
defense structures forces the player to be more active and aggressive.
Use your units to carry out counterattacks for defense and support your
main attack with super weapons.
Infantry is a volatile general given to decisive victories or defeats in the
early game. As expected, he relies on masses of infantry in the early
game, later reinforced by more infantry. In the late game he gains
powerful artillery strikes supported by the same infantry.
His strategy is easy to understand, but not as easy to implement:
build more tanks and attack. But everything has its details.
Toxin General specializes in area attacks and damage over time. He is
especially effective vs mobbed units and hordes. If well played, you
will find all of your positions unapproachable for the fields of acid
He is a versatile and powerful general with demanding micro management needs.
Since almost all units are disposable, you must use them with care,
directing almost all kamikazes manually. The more assiduously you play -
the more complex it becomes for enemy to defend from your endless flows
of kamikazes. If you play properly, you can defeat any other general.
While at a glance his units are weak and poorly suited of combat, Stealth
General is a deceptively powerful general using infiltration and
surprise to his advantage. He has long range sniper units capable of
attacking with impunity against units lacking stealth detection. He is a
challenging general to play, but has a strong reward for the effort
Assault is a flexible general with flexible units. He is low micro management and well suited
for most players. While having no spectacular abilities he also has no weaknesses.
Don't forget to track Contra if you like it. You will see new updates frequently.
No, this won't be an April Fools' Day joke. Contra suffered from many problems lately as many of you know...
First, our team leader and Contra founder Creator disappeared (probably because of social issues). He left us Contra and a right to continue his work. With our plans for final release and even 009 further release.
Then, the rest of our team just fell apart. And whole team was PredatorBG and me.
We got some help from great people like Zeke, Anubis... and some others as mentioned in release news before. (and I will repay them as I promised)
After that, I suffered from serious social issues, and got a new job which takes most of my time. PredatorBG was also very busy with his real life.
And if that was not terrible... we got more issues. Russian community, more specifically some members there like Javelin, 6aseke, Kur-Zaz... They took Contra for their self... and decided to make 009 version.
I was pissed off... they wanted to change everything for themselves. They decided to reject our plans, plans from Contra mod author Andrey Pestryakov... and make it for their own tournaments. And release it as 009. They even wanted to use models made by us... and everything.
Javelin told me that I can't prove that I have made all those models... After many argue, I succeeded to make some copyright on Contra name, and our development and our work.
So they made Contra 009 RLM (whatever that is). Some older members on Redsys are against that, and they are supporting real Contra.
I need to ask you too... to support real Contra and our work. If you see somewhere Contra 009 download, please know that it is fake... Only real update will be here.
Also, I will tell you now that we are returning to work. Old member LilTasman is back. He will work on fixing AI.
Now I will reveal some updates that we have made... no secret from us:
- Enable machinegun units (infantry, Trackhound, Repair Droid, etc.) to fire at vehicles - DONE for all factions.
- Unit build time and cost similar to 007 - DONE (Assault, Toxin, Superweapon, Cybernetic, Flame, Nuke, Laser)
- Supply piles and dock same amount as in 007 - DONE
- Economy same as in 007 - DONE (Cybernetic, Superweapon, Flame, Assault, Toxin, Nuke, Laser)
- Fix and further modify AI for final 008 release - In progress - lil tasman
- Fix Laser Challenge win/loss conditions. - DONE
- Insert radiation effect from 007. - DONE
- Add new cameo for male Rangers. - DONE
AIR FORCE GENERAL
- Improve Duke Nukem (Burton) cameo. - DONE
- Improve RQ-9 Dark Star cameo. - DONE
- Add new AMOS cameo. - DONE
- Add new SSM Site cameo. - DONE
- Add new Burton Ion Cannon Strike cameo. - DONE
- Particle Cannon uses the wrong Particle Cannon cameo. - DONE
- Add new Laser Defender cameo. - DONE
- Reduce Cylon firepower from 45 to 35 - DONE
- Add new cameo for Red Guards. - DONE
- Add new Battlemaster cameo. - DONE
- Improve Flamethrower cameo. - DONE
- Add new Minigunner cameo. - DONE
- Some regular infantry cameos appeared different compared to their x4 versions. - DONE
- Battlemaster gains nuclear shot effect possibility only at heroic level. - DONE
- Add new cameo for Mobile Supply Stash. - DONE
- Add new cameo and description for GLA Carpet Bombing power. - DONE
- Add new cameo for AA Technical. - DONE
- Add stop button for Toxin Tunnel Network. - DONE
- Neutralizers upgrade cameo is missing for some units and buildings. - DONE
- Add new cameo for Demo Technical. - DONE
- Replace cartoon general portrait with a normal one. - DONE
- Booby Trap upgrade cameo is missing for Alshain. - DONE
We hope to get full speed work soon! CYA!