Contra is a freeware modification for Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour real-time strategy game. It's a big project started in 2004. It adds many new units as well as numerous new upgrades, new general's powers and buildings. It also adds new sounds, maps, bug fixes, enhanced graphics, and other effects, as well as three new generals.
Contra 008 FINAL version is here!!! Long work is finally done and now you can enjoy full 008 version. Please read the installation instructions carefully.
Extract Contra008FINAL.rar. Copy all contents of the extracted folder to your Zero Hour directory. To play the mod, open "Contra Launcher.exe".
You will find startup options such as music, language, unit voices, etc. Decide your preferences and click "Launch".
Contra will auto-detach itself from Zero Hour on exit, so that you can launch original Zero Hour or any other mod.
Manual installation instructions for those having problems with launcher:
1. Put all files from Contra008FINAL into your Zero Hour folder.
2. Rename !Contra008.ctr to !Contra008.big.
3. Rename !Contra008EN.ctr to !Contra008EN.big OR rename !Contra008RU.ctr to !Contra008RU.big if you want Russian language.
4. Rename !Contra008VOrig.ctr to !Contra008VOrig.big OR rename !Contra008VLoc.ctr to !Contra008VLoc.big if you want English unit voices.
5. Rename !Contra008MNew.ctr to !Contra008MNew.big OR rename !Contra008MStandard.ctr to !Contra008MStandard.big if you want vanilla soundtracks.
6. Rename Scripts folder to Scripts1 (which is located inside Data folder).
7. Start the game from generals.exe.
And for those playing Zero Hour on Origin (C&C: The Ultimate Collection):
Download the Fixed Launchers from: Bibber.eu
Zero Hour version 1.04 is required!
If you see strings like “MISSING:bla-bla-bla” instead of names and descriptions and/or purple rectangles instead of buttons and unit icons, here is the fix: Rename Contra008.ctr and Contra008EN.ctr (or Contra008RU.ctr if you use Russian language) to .big extension, then extract with FinalBig in a new folder named with the language of your game (German, French, etc.). This new folder must be in the same folder where you installed Contra. Or check out this video: Youtube.com (Thanks AGX750 for being helpful).
Link to FinalBig: Contra.cncguild.net
Press "Edit" and "Extract All", then choose the folder.