After more than 50 releases, the Blender SMD Tools have left beta. Import and export all types of SMD, compile QCs automatically and import DMX with 100% open source software!
Posted by Varsity on Jun 24th, 2011
The Blender SMD Tools enable Blender 2.58+ to import from and export to the Source engine. Unlike most other exporters, they are built with usability in mind at all times.
- One-click export
- Supports all types of SMD
- Supports DMX import
- Supports most Blender features
- Export multiple objects to one SMD
- Compile a QC automatically
- Import a whole QC at once
- Get Blender 2.58 or later
- Download the SMD Tools from Google Code
- In Blender, open ''File > User Preferences'', move to the ''Add-Ons'' tab and click ''Install Add-On'' in the bottom of the window
- Check the SMD Tools' box to enable them
- Click ''Save as Default'' to enable the tools in all Blend files
- Use the Import SMD and Export SMD operators to import or export. Search for them from the spacebar menu, go to scene properties, or use the File menu.
- Group objects to export them to the same SMD.
- Use the Scene Properties panel for export configuration. SMDs are exported to [output folder]\[subfolder]\[object].smd
- Use the Armature Properties panel to filter and batch export actions, and to more conveniently manage or create them.
Both of the new panels will start a the very bottom of the list, but can be dragged higher. The animation panel will only appear when an armature with animation data is selected.