This release is a quick release after version 1.87. Unfortunately, as there are no changes listed in the official channels that I can find I have no idea...
FX: Commander, commonly abbreviated as 'FX', is a modification project for Sierra's Homeworld 2 developed by 9CCN, a group of Chinese modders renowned for their work on the outstanding Gundam SEED modification.
The goal of the FX mod is to bring Homeworld2 to a brand new level. So far this has been done by including the races from Homeworld1 along with new units, abilities, textures, maps, fx, player modes, icons, blueprints etc. Even with the current amount of changes that have been included so far there are still many, many more things that are yet to come and/or improved. Some of the upcoming content cannot be found in any of the other current mods.
The current playable races are the Hiigaran, Vaygr, Taiidan, Kadeshi, Progenitors and Turanic Raiders, each with their own advantages, technology tree and units. The Bentusi are currently being developed and are said to be 'three races in one'. Can you utilize the power of your race the best?
Even with the amount of awesome changes that have been made so far the creators say the entire FX concept is only halfway done. Many people have already marked this mod as their favourite Homeworld2 modification after the release of v1.72, and it will only get better. The mod is ranked within the top 100 mods on ModDB with over 300k visits and more than 45k downloads. Come and try out the mod that many have dubbed as "Homeworld 3" already.
Latest Version: FX v1.88
Released on: 2nd August 2011
- Fixes for issues found in v1.86/v1.87
- New Taiidan flagship model
- New docking effects
- Custom main menu.
- Play as the Hiigaran / Vaygr with new units and weaponry, reclaim past glory as the Progenitors, or bring back one of the many 'classics' from Homeworld 1 such as the Kadeshi, Taiidan, Turanic Raiders; each fully playable with their own models, effects, technology trees, play styles & much more.
- New UI (User Interface) for all races.
- New units for all races.
- New sound fx.
- New unit abilities.
- New maps.
- New gamemodes (PvP, Battle Mission) for a brand new game experience.
- Ability to select random background music: you will get a random track from the Homeworld 1 or Homeworld 2 OST.
- Several new gameplay options.
- LAN and Multiplayer supported (v1.1 patch required).
- A unique single-player campaign for each of the current races.
- New ship models for all races
- New icons (EMP, Defence field etc.) instead of the regular ones.
- Completely re-textured ships (no more outdated HW1 textures)
Notice: Only one installer of each version will be uploaded here. If you are looking for a different file formats or alternative mirrors please see the Downloads Section at our forums.
The FX mod has kept going all these years, slowly but steady, and with the mouthwatering screenshots & trailer of the upcoming v2.0 I think it's safe to say that we are in for something nice on the short term.
So, why this news post after 3 years. After I quit HW2 years ago, I came across the FX mod page again and saw (to my great surprise) that the mod was still alive. Since I apparently still had the admin rights I figured to put them to use and throw in my 2 cents -- better late than never. And no, you did not miss any releases. Thanks to Bromly, who put v1.86/v1.88 on here while I was gone, you have the latest version at your disposal.
- The guys who have been keeping you updated with screenshots / videos (Unit_X / dreadnought9ccn) were added to the 9CCN group so that they can now also post news / the new releases / etc.
- A basic forum was setup where you can give feedback/suggestions on the mod, discuss its contents, seek out technical support, etc or maybe even find some people to play it with -- just bashing CPUs is boring. You can find it @ the 'forum' tab or by following this link:
So yeah, sorry for the absence but hey, you didn't miss any releases. At least from now on the ModDB page should see some more activity as the 9ccn guys have full access to it.