Freedoom is an unfinished IWAD, so this project will remain a work-in-progress until it is finished. I've replaced the sprites for the Revenant's fireballs...
id Software has released the source code to their classic game, Doom, under the GNU General Public License. This means that the engine which powers Doom is Free Software. However, the game engine is only one component of a complete game.The Doom engine uses an "IWAD" file to store all of its game data. This contains the raw data used by the game — the artwork, sound effects, levels, everything which defines Doom as a game. Until now, one of the original proprietary files was still needed in order to play Doom.The Freedoom project aims at collaboratively creating a free IWAD file. Combined with the free source code, this results in a complete game based on the doom engine which is Free Software.
Freedoom has multiple purposes:
A modern source port is needed to play Freedoom. We recommend one of the following ports:
PrBoom GNU GPL GNU/Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X, other POSIX, WindowsSoftware, OpenGL
Odamex GNU GPL GNU/Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X, other POSIX, WindowsSoftware, OpenGL
ReMooD GNU GPL GNU/Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X, other POSIX, WindowsSoftware
The Eternity Engine GNU GPL DOS, WindowsSoftware
Boom GNU GPL DOS onlySoftware
Risen3D GNU GPL Windows onlyOpenGL
- New weapon sprites: Shotgun, super shotgun, chaingun, rocket launcher, and plasma gun have new graphics
- New sounds: Pistol firing, mancubus pain, explosion
- New "skeleton" sprite placeholder for unfinished monsters
- New monster sprites: Baron (WIP), Revenant
- Flats and patches (wall/floor textures) updated with a cleaner, detailed appearance
- FreeDM IWAD project, among other smaller things