Ladies and gents, this is the moment you have all been waiting for. Let me introduce to you, the new version of Morrowind Rebirth! Like with all my other...
Morrowind is the third game in the series called the ”Elder Scrolls”. You might be familiar with the previous games in the series, such as "Arena" and "Daggerfall" or the one of the side games, "Redguard" and "Battlespire", but most certain you're well aware of Morrowind's sequels: "Oblivion" and "Skyrim". Morrowind hit the store sheleves back in 2002 and became an instant hit among the entire gaming comunity. It was not only embraced due to its stunning graphics of that time but also for the intriguing storyline, the immersive gameworld and its depth. Some RPG enthusiasts also regard Morrowind to be one of the best role-playing games of all time, sharing the title with other huge games such as ”Baldur's Gate”, ”Neverwinter Nights” and ”Dragon Age:Origins”.
The game takes place on the island of Vvardenfell, which is a province in Morrowind. Due to the nature of the game you can actually do anything you like, whenever you like. Perhaps that's also the reason why its still being popular, 10 years after its release. Although Morrowind is a great game its not hard to see the facts that its not aging that well. Sure it there's graphic replacers, sure there's new animations to get, but what about the gameworld itself? Is it only me who's bothered by the rather ”empty” island of Vvardenfell? Ever walked into a city and felt, this sure have some potential although it doesn't fit 2012 standards? Welcome to Morrowind Rebirth!
Rebirth started of in 2007 with my ”New Cities Project” which basiclly can be described as town expansions. Even though they got good reviews and became quite popular, I couldn't stop to think of how Morrowind could have been if Bethsoft had spent more time developing the game. After loads of hours I finally made the decision to merge all my mods into one single project, into what is now known as Morrowind Rebirth. So what can you as a player expect while playing Morrowind Rebirth? Here's a small preview:
Remember that this mod is a work in progress, things can and will probably change. For those of you who want more written information about the changes done in this modification, check this changelog: Moddb.com and/or watch this video for a quick general oversight: Moddb.com
New events and exciting places to visit
Explore the Island of Vvardenfell once again. But things have changed since the last time you were on visit. Bandits make it harder to travel throughout the wilderness, new dark cults have formed and it's harder than ever to survive in an already dark world.
Rebuilt cities with loads of details
Cities is no longer an empty shell with a few NPC's wandering about. Discover how things might have turned out if the developers had more time to improve on their creation. A massive increase in detail including new traders, NPC's, houses, Inns and an overall feel that cities are actually "alive".
Over 20 new creatures to battle
Draw your weapons against a huge array of new creatures such as the mighty Draugr Deathlord, the chilling Frost Monarch or be charmed by the Daedra Seducer. Make no misstake, these foes are not to be taken lightly.
New weapons, armor and misc items
Battle your way through Vvardenfell with new shiny stuff such as the Falmer Longsword, the Dwemer Staff or just feel safe running around with new armor pieces such as the Imperial Captain's Helmet or the Templar Shield. Morrowind Rebirth features over 15 new weapons and a load of new armor pieces.
New music & new main menu
Over 1 hour of new music, both for battles and for exploration. New splashscreens and a new really nice main menu. Be aware of that these are optional.
Better landscapes with less seams and floaters.
Do you have a problem with floaters, seams or just that some areas look and feel ”boring”? Well no more. With Rebirth I've tried to elimiate these ”issues”, giving each area a unique look without overworking it. There's also far less seams and floaters which obviously will make the gameworld a better place to live in.
Balance tweaks and bugfixes
Fixes a lot of vanilla errors, bugs and balance issues.
Bugs and other issues
It's important that you, the players, provide me with feedback and support. Without you I might not be able to track down the bugs that's been caused by Morrowind Rebirth. You're also very welcome to report issues found in vanilla Morrowind. Post your bug-reports here: Moddb.com
MGSO and Morrowind Rebirth
Is Morrowind Rebirth compatible with MGSO (Morrowind Graphic and Sound Overhaul)? Yes and no. There's some things you need to do in order to make it run smoothly. Start by downloading MGSO. Follow the instructions provided in the download. When you're done, continue with Morrowind Rebirth. Extract the files to your Morrowind folder as stated in the Morrowind Rebirth readme, included in the download package. If you're told to "overwrite\", press no (I've had a few people reporting that pressing "yes" might cause issues. If everything gone smoothly lets go to the last steps in the process. To make Rebirth and MGSO to play along nicely you also need to deactivate "grass" and choose "custom" in the "Tree" settings. There's also a plugin which comes with MGSO that needs to be removed, "Poorly Placed Object Fix 1.2.esm". Take note that "Animated Morrowind" (also comes with MGSO) might not work very well either. That should be it!
Old Save Games
A lot of people ask me about save game compability between patches. It's actually not a problem if you use Wrye Mash! Here's a short description from the uesp wiki "Wrye Mash is a general purpose utility for managing and repairing mods and savegames. Currently it is the only tool that systematically prevents NPC doubling. It combines multiple mod-management capabilities making it one of the most strongly recommended utilities for both modders and players ". Download here, be sure to check the readme too, (which can be found at the same page): Uesp.net
Morrowind might be an old game but this doesn't mean that your old laptop can run Morrowind Rebirth without any issues. In some areas such as Balmora you can get huge FPS drops if you dont have a decent computer. If you're experiencing bad performance this mod might not be for you or you. If you're using a lot of texture replacers it might be a good idea to remove some of these to increase the overall performance. If you're using MGE or MGEXE you might want to reduce the distant statics detail, remove some shaders or skip the fancy new fog effects.
Morrowind Rebirth is a huge mod and will not work well with a lot of mods, especially those that alter landscape or add new buildings. There's no list of specific mods that work with Rebirth, but the most popular ones like "Tamriel Rebuilt" and "LGNPC" will work just fine. Rebirth does not alter dialogue or the basic combat system (except balance), so you may want to get one of the following mods: "Combat Enhanced", "Gratuitous Violence", "Combat Experience - Depth Perception", or "Advanced Combat", you can find these by searching on google or through: Mw.modhistory.com If you have any other questions regarding mods and compability, let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.
* Rebalanced the lengths' (again) of the spears. The reach of the spears should differ depending on the length of the spear (in-game mesh size), something which I didn't take into account the last time.
* Dren Plantation fixes. A tree were floating, an overhang were clipping through the wall and a lamp pole and its lantern hung in mid air.
* Golam Urellas's and Fairne's shacks' had the wrong script attached to the doors, making it impossible to enter either of them.
* The door Chun-Ook (The big ship in Ebonheart) had the wrong teleport marker (took you to the Ashlands).
* Changed "Jhamondile Dremon's home" to "Jhamondile Dremon's House", also fixed some floaters inside.
* Somehow I managed to remove the travel-markers for the Slave Market in Suran, all fixed now.
* Moved the travel-marker outside Vivec, it displayed "Ascadian Isles" instead of "Vivec".
* "Scourge", a Daedric Battle Axe were restored. Enchantment/Model was missing.
* Llaala Girendal & Rleno Medan, Ald-ruhn Temple had no assigned head meshes.
* Jhamondile Dremon, a imperial In Caldera were incorrectly set as a trader.
* Fixed a typo which made it super-expensive to use the MG travel-service.
* Several fixes and improvements to the Imperial Legion Barracks, Caldera.
* The Black Goblet in Suran had the wrong script attached to the doors.
* Reduced the cost for elemental shields (nerf from previous change).
* Tarvyn Faren, a dumner at Vivec Entrance had duplicate records.
* Corrected a missplaced door on top of Lighthouse in Ebonheart.
* Removed Skooma bottles and Nordic Mead from Shenk's Shovel.
* Silver Katana was changed from Two-Handed to One-Handed.
* Fixed the ground at the entrance of the "Eight Plates".
* Added ownership to all lanterns in Caldera/Pelagiad.
* Dwemer weapons are no longer refered as "Dwarven".
* Removed some script fixes (not needed due to MPP).
* Fixed a typo in "Drunk Dumner", to "Drunk Dunmer".
* "Templar Shield" to "Imperial Templar Shield".
* Fixed a floating doorframe in Shenk's Shovel.
* Anti-cloned the Buoyant Armigers', Ghostgate.
* Removed 2 missplaced doors, Ald-ruhn Temple.
* A major overhaul for Ebonheart. The inner courtyard have been redesign along with better visuals for the main plaza.
* Better sorting for some misc items. Example: Wooden items have "Wooden" prefix, "Wooden Bowl", Silverware items have "Silverware" prefix, "Silverware Knife" etc.
* A minor overhaul for Balmora. Removed a massive amount of rocks around Balmora to make it more fps friendly.
* A minor overhaul for Seyda Neen. Mainly landscape improvements.
* Anti-cloned Imperial Guards (most of them anyway).
* Better name-prefixes for potions.
* Imperial Guards and Captains were refered as "Guard" and "Guard Captain". Corrected to Imperial Guard/Guard Captain.
* One centurion spider used the wrong blood texture - "Red", instead of "Gold". Also removed its soul value.
* Adjusted a travel-marker in Murberius Harmevus's House that sometimes leave the player stuck.
* "Draugr" and "draugr_co_3" didnt have the proper spells and immunities.
* Left/Right Glass Bracer changed to Glass Left/Right Bracer.
* Two potions of Paralyze were incorrectly named "Night Eye".
* Madres Navur in Pelagiad had no AI-package.
* "Bound_Helmet" changed to "Bound Helmet".
* Removed "Resist Frost" from all guards.
* Junal-Lei in Pelagiad had no AI-package.
* Angoril in Pelagiad had no AI-package.
* Skeleton Archers now drop Bonemeal.
* Fixed several floaters/seams.
* Guild chests have less potions (cheap ones removed). Also removed the arrows/bolts from the Fighter Guild's Supply Cheast, replaced them with something more apporopriate.
* Some artifacts have been nerfed others buffed. The values will now be in proportion to how powerful the artifact is. Obviously still a work in progress.
* A major damage overhaul for all weapons. They should now have proper damage based on real world counterparts (slash/chop/thrust).
* Some skills are now a bit harder to raise
- Athletics: In vanilla MW you level up too fast just running around. Not a huge tweak but at least enough to make it balanced.
- Long Blade, Short Blade, Blunt, Spear & Marksman: A slight nerf in progression rate.
* Raised the value for Guar, Alit, Kagouti, Netch skin/leather.
* Reduced the value and AR for Dark Brotherhood Armor.
* Some small adjustments to spells.
* Reduced the cost for enchanting.
* New Signs for "The Silver Barrel" and "Black Goblet".
* New forge for Imperial Forts.
And a LOT of other small fixes/additions.
Let me know what you think!
Highest Rated (2 agree) 10/10
subtle changes making Morrowind a completely fresh experience
I wandered around for a short while, not having played the game for years and I couldn't quite put my finger on it; but it just felt as if though the whole game-world had changed
simply amazing accomplishment
Dec 11 2011, 5:26pm by Lord_Santa