Hi guys! It's time for another update, and this is a big one. For about three months I've been working hard to improve Morrowind Rebirth in various ways...
Morrowind is the third game in the series called the ”Elder Scrolls”. You might be familiar with the previous games in the series, such as "Arena" and "Daggerfall", but most certainly you're well aware of Morrowind's sequels: "Oblivion" and "Skyrim". Morrowind hit the store shelves back in 2002 and became an instant hit among the entire gaming community. It was not only embraced due to its stunning graphics of that time but also for the intriguing storyline, the immersive gameworld and its depth. Some RPG enthusiasts also regard Morrowind to be one of the best role-playing games of all time, sharing the title with other fantastic games such as ”Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn”, ”Neverwinter Nights” and ”Dragon Age:Origins”.
The game takes place on the island of Vvardenfell, which is a province in Morrowind. Due to the nature of the game you can actually do anything you like, whenever you like. You want to swim around the island? Sure, do it. Want to become almighty? It's up for grabs. Perhaps that's also one reason to why its still popular, over 10 years after its release. Morrowind is a great game, of that can be no doubt.
"Rebirth" sprung to life in 2007 with my mod-series; ”New Cities Project”, which basically can be described as town- expansions of different cities such as Seyda Neen, Caldera and Gnisis. As this project went on, I had some sort of revelation - why not merge all the plugins, and create a massive overhaul of sorts? What you see here is the result of that process. A full concept modification, or overhaul if you will, that will transform Vvardenfell into something very special. Down below you can view some of the changes, but expect to see a lot more in-game.
Remember that this mod is a work in progress, things can and will probably change. For those of you who want more written information about the changes done in this modification, check this changelog: Moddb.com and/or watch this video for a quick general oversight: Moddb.com
New events and exciting places to visit
Explore the Island of Vvardenfell once again. But things have changed since the last time you were on visit. Bandits make it harder to travel throughout the wilderness, new dark cults have formed and it's harder than ever to survive in an already dark world.
Rebuilt cities with loads of details
Cities is no longer an empty shell with a few NPC's wandering about. Discover how things might have turned out if the developers had more time to improve on their creation. A massive increase in detail including new traders, NPC's, houses, Inns and an overall feel that cities are actually "alive".
More than 20 new creatures to battle
Draw your weapons against new vicious creatures such as the mighty Draugr Deathlord, the chilling Frost Monarch or the charming Daedra Seducer. Make no mistake, these foes are not to be taken lightly.
New weapons, armor and misc items
Battle your way through Vvardenfell with a vast new array of weapons and armor, both normal ones that complement the sets already found in-game and ones that are more powerful.
New music & new main menu
Over 1 hour of new music, both for battles and for exploration. New splash screens and two new main menu screens. Be aware of that these are optional.
Better landscapes with less seams and floaters.
Do you have a problem with floaters, seams or just that some areas look and feel ”boring”? Well no more. With Rebirth I've tried to eliminate these issues, giving each area a unique look without overworking it. There's also far less seams and floaters which obviously will make the gameworld a better place to live in.
Balance tweaks and bugfixes
Fixed a large number of floaters, reduced bleeders, corrected miss-aligned statics and script/text bugs. Also tweaked settings, spells, weapons, armor, misc items, merchants etc to make the game more balanced and enjoyable.
Bugs and other issues
It's important that you, the players, provide me with feedback and support. Without you I might not be able to track down the bugs that's been caused by Morrowind Rebirth. You're also very welcome to report issues found in vanilla Morrowind. Post your bug-reports here Moddb.com or send me a personal message.
MGSO and Morrowind Rebirth
Is Morrowind Rebirth compatible with MGSO (Morrowind Graphic and Sound Overhaul)? Yes and no. There's some things you need to do in order to avoid issues (though you may still experience some issues). Start by downloading MGSO. Follow the instructions provided in the download. Keep in mind that you need to tick the option in each flora region for "Custom Mod". When you're done, continue with Morrowind Rebirth. Extract the files to your Morrowind folder as stated in the Morrowind Rebirth readme, included in the download package. If you're told to "overwrite\", press no (I've had a few people reporting that pressing "yes" might cause issues). If everything's gone smoothly, continue to the last step in the process and deactivate "grass". There's also four plugins included in the MGSO archive that needs to be removed: "Texture Fix 2.0.esm", "Poorly Placed Object Fix 1.2.esm", "Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta (BTB Edit).esm" and "Animated Morrowind". That should be it.
Old Save Games
A lot of people ask me about save game compatibility between patches. It's actually not a problem if you use "Wrye Mash". So what's Wrye Mash and why should you get it? Here's a short description from the uesp wiki "Wrye Mash is a general purpose utility for managing and repairing mods and savegames. Currently it is the only tool that systematically prevents NPC doubling. It combines multiple mod-management capabilities making it one of the most strongly recommended utilities for both modders and players". Download the program here:http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Wrye_Mash, and be sure to check the readme too (which can be found at the same page).
Morrowind might be an old game but this doesn't mean that your old laptop can run Morrowind Rebirth without any issues. In some areas such as Balmora you can get huge FPS drops if you don't have a decent computer. If you're using a lot of texture replacers it might be a good idea to remove some of these to increase the overall performance. If you're using MGE or MGEXE you might want to reduce the distant statics detail, remove some shaders or skip the fancy fog effects.
Installation and requirements
Please read this article if you are new to mods: Moddb.com
Morrowind Rebirth is a huge mod and will not work well with a lot of mods, especially those that alter landscape or add new buildings. There's no list of specific mods that work with Rebirth, but the most popular ones like "Tamriel Rebuilt" and "LGNPC" should work just fine (minor issues). If you have any other questions regarding mods and compatibility, let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.
Do not use "Morrowind Rebirth 2.7 - Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta [Rebirth Edit]" included in the Morrowind Rebirth archive along with "Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta, Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta [BTB Edit]" or the "Unofficial Morrowind Patch Project". Do not use "Texture Fix 2.0.esm" along with Morrowind Rebirth.
Here's a list of some of the things changed/fixed/added in 2.8:
* "Nomeg Gwai" and "Molag Grunda" will no longer have a soul value. This change is based upon the following quote: "I have spoken to Molag Bal through his statue in the shrine at Bal Ur. He tells me that he does not have the cure for my vampirism, but he will get it for me if I do him a favor. His daughter, Molag Grunda, has been consorting with a Frost Atronach named Nomeg Gwai. If I can kill the two of them, returning their souls to a realm where Molag Bal may punish them, Molag Bal will give me the cure."
* Alfe Fyr, Beyte Fyr, Delte Fyr and Vistha-Kai are now marked as "essential". Previously you didn't get a warning for killing these NPC's, which could make the quest "Find a way to cure the dreaded Corprus disease" unsolvable.
* The front door to the temple in Suran used a Hlaalu style door instead of a Velothi style door (Thanks to "cml33" for the fix).
* "steel_cuirass" and "steel_cuirass_ancient" were missing their biped object(chest) female armor data "A_Steel_Cuir_Female.
* "bonemold_tshield_hrlb" used the wrong biped object;"towershield_bonemold" instead of "towershield_redoranm".
* Removed Orcish Tower Shield from Umbra's inventory; Umbra wields a two-handed sword.
* Fixed incorrect door sounds:
- Wooden Door Close 1 Fx \ trans \ drcreak_opn.wav -> Fx \ trans \ drcreak_cls.wav
- Wooden Door Open 1 Fx \ trans \ drcreak_cls.wav -> Fx \ trans \ drcreak_opn.wav
* Removed duplicated tower section and a corner post piece at the Wolverine Hall.
* Removed duplicate quest container (ahnassi_drink) from "Ahinipalit".
* "Ten Pace Boots" now render properly in third person.
* Restored "Hair Shirt of St. Aralor" so that the player is able to finish the quest "Recover this lost relic from Kogoruhn.".
* Removed "Jarl Ragnarsson" from Caldera. The letter found in his house points to that he's no longer on Vvardenfell.
* "Conoon Chodala's Boots" weight, armor rating and health now matches those of the "Heavy Leather Boots".
* Some enchanted weapons had stats that didn't match vanilla counterparts (enchantments left untouched).
* Fixed an issue where stats for the Fighters Guild or the Blades didn't show up in the stats menu.
* Decreased the 'buzzing' sound flies make around corpses and skeletons.
* Removed "dark" light source in Seyda Neen Census and Excise Office.
* Removed a rock which were covering the door to Mausur Caverns.
* Demon Mace model changed from an Ebony Mace to a Steel Mace.
* Fixed a bunch of floaters and geometry issues in Ebonheart.
* Removed "xspriggan.nif", which were the cause of a crash.
* Fixed incorrect placement of a travel marker in Hla Oad.
* Fixed a gap in the large bridge just outside Balmora.
* Fixed doubled door issue in the Balmora Council Club.
* Included a missing texture "TR_empire_map.dds".
* Fixed incorrect icon for the Morag Tong Helm.
* "Camp Fire" renamed to "Campfire Kit".
* Added AI-packages to several NPCs.
* Fixed pubsign uv.
Landscape fixes and improvements (Shegorad Region, Ascadian Isles, Bitter Coast)
* Rezised/moved/added/removed/raised/lowered/ rocks, trees, bushes, grass etc to make the landscape look more natural.
* Fixed several texture seams.
* Smoothened unnatural terrain.
* Fixed hundreds of floaters.
The Black Pearl
* Somewhere in the Ascadian Isles, a rare black pearl is said to remain hidden. Legend has it that this pearl once belonged to Dagoth Ur himself. Will you be able to locate the pearl, or will you perish during your quest to find it?
* Added a few glass bracers across Vvardefell, as they were too hard to come by.
* Socucius Ergalla now has his own room in the Census and Excise building.
* Refurnished Caius Cosades house to make it look less "rough".
* Added an Almsivi Intervention point by the Ghostgate.
* Decreased the radius of all light sources.
* Two new gems: Sapphire and Topaz.
* Misc additions here and there.
* Weak/Strong/wild Spelldrinker were too costly, and powerful. Reduced magnitude to make these three spells more cost-effecient and less powerful.
* Dreamers are now tougher, more varied in appearance, and wield a larger variety of chitin weapons.
* All "Dagoth" and "Ash" encounters are now tougher (more health/damage).
* Increased the cost of "Potion of Cure Blight Disease" from 50 to 75.
* Increased the value of the "Whitewalker Robe" from 20 to 6500.
* Decreased the reach for Iron/Silver spears from 1.6 to 1.4.
* Decreased the damage output for all crossbows by 5 points.
* Increased the running speed of Alits and Kagoutis.
* Reduced projectile speed for arrows/bolts/spells.
* Torches will now burn for a longer time period.
* Some Dagoth encounters now spawn earlier.
* Summon spells are now auto-calculated.
* Included "RR Mod Series - Better Meshes", by Resdayn Revival Team. New improved meshes for a large number of objects like potions, alchemy equipment and wood misc items.
* Fixed incorrect texture path in the Chitin Pauldron mesh (TX_A_Chitin_Shield_round.BMP instead of TX_A_UA_Chitin_pauldron.BMP).
* Fixed incorrect texture path in the Dunmer stronghold meshes (dirtroad.tga" was instead of "boulder.tga).
* Improved and smoothed meshes for Indoril Helmet, Shield, Boots and Gauntlets (Thanks to CemKey).
* Fixed bad vertex shading for a door lock/handle (in_c_door_wood_square).
* Fixed several meshes which had the wrong ambient color.
* New less colorful textures for Grazeland trees.
* Improved uv and mesh for the Telvanni forge.
* New icon for the Draugr Berserker's Helm.
* Improved mesh for the Glass Shield.
* Turned the esp into an esm to avoid conflicts with the main plugin.
* Dunmer's racial ability "From Fire and Ash" re-named to "Ashborn".
* Added AI-packages to several NPCs.
* Fixed missplaced trapdoor.
* Added gold to traders.
* Fixed floaters.
* Now fully compatible with "Solstheim Tomb of the Snow Prince"
* Removed some textures/meshes/icons from the dl-package.
* New document with credits.
Highest Rated (7 agree) 10/10
subtle changes making Morrowind a completely fresh experience
I wandered around for a short while, not having played the game for years and I couldn't quite put my finger on it; but it just felt as if though the whole game-world had changed
simply amazing accomplishment
Dec 11 2011, 5:26pm by Lord_Santa