OpenMW is a new engine for 2002's Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. It aims to be a fully playable (and improved!), open source implementation of the game's engine and functionality.
You will still need the original game data to play OpenMW. OpenMW will run on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.To give you a better idea of what this project is about, here are some of the aims for the future of OpenMW:
OpenMW is released under the GNU General Public License version 3.
There has been a change and now we are using C++. Some source code has been ported from the D version, but essentially has been written completely from scratch. It also builds on various other open source tools, most notably OGRE for graphics.
At this point in time we are looking for active developers to help us achieve our 1.0 goals;
a bug free Morrowind that can run natively on Windows, Linux and Mac.
Release packages for Ubuntu are now available via our Launchpad PPA. Release packages for other platforms are available on our Download page. This version introduces Sleeping, Potions, Spell Creation, Travel, and many other features like DEATH!!!.
Check out our release video by WeirdSexy:
Read on for the full changelog.
- Launcher crashes on OS X < 10.8
- Extreme shaking can occur during exterior cell transitions for some users
- Implemented sleep/wait
- Further implementation for alchemy/potions
- Implemented death
- Implemented spell creation and spell creation window
- Implemented travel and travel dialogue
- Implemented first layer of global map
- Implemented trainer window
- Implemented skill increase from skill books
- Implemented ESM/ESP record saving
- Fix for Character shaking in 3rd person mode near the origin
- Implemented gamma correct rendering (does not work without shaders)
- Fix for fortify attribute effects on the last 3 attributes
- Fix for NCC flag handling, fixes some collision issues
- Sort birthsign menu alphabetically
- Various fixes/cleanup for the launcher
- Fix for sound listener position updating incorrectly
- Implemented dynamically generating splash image list
- Fix for markers interfering with raycasting
- Fix for crash after picking up items from an NPC
Latest tweets from @openmw_org
If you've been waiting for the 0.23.0 release for OS X, it's now up! T.co
May 21 2013, 9:54pm
0.23.0 is up!! Go get it!
Apr 28 2013, 1:32pm
@MarceauKa you suddenly feel stronger, and less burdened by intellectual pursuits. Thank you!
Apr 4 2013, 5:02am
0.22.0 is out! This is a big one! Go get it!!
Mar 26 2013, 10:59pm
Still lots of business being taken care of for 0.22.0. Stay tuned.
Mar 15 2013, 3:43pm
Feb 20 2013, 1:47am
What's that? Yep! 0.21.0! Go get it!
Feb 20 2013, 1:44am
0.21.0 very soon! And some big things lining up for 0.22.0
Feb 16 2013, 9:41pm
@WyattEpp looks like we outgrew it even faster than that. Check our forums, some good reading posted there on our experience. Thanks!
Feb 16 2013, 9:40pm