If you're one of the people who've been casually following the gradual disassembly of Off Topic Productions after the release of The Nameless Mod, you might be interested to know that three of the TNM developers are behind a new tactical party-based roleplaying game recently launched on Kickstarter: Expeditions: Conquistador.
The lead designer, the composer, and the animator of the Conquistador team all held those same positions on the TNM team. The new game is a stand-alone commercial indie game built with the Unity engine and set in Central America at the beginning of the Spanish conquest in the 16th century. A tactical roleplaying game with a touch of strategic resource management and a pinch of choose-your-own-adventure. The setting of Conquistador is a rarely visited part of history which is rife with mystery, political intrigue, and good old-fashioned violence.
You will take on the role of a Spanish Conquistador in South America in 1518-1520. Select the members of your expedition and explore campaign maps based on the actual topological maps of Hispaniola and Mexico. Through intricately branching dialogue, you will engage with the characters and situations that you encounter across these uncharted areas, and when it’s time to spill blood, a tactical combat system of great depth and brutality will let you control your individual troops in battle.
Here's the game's feature list from the Kickstarter page:
- Engaging and intricately branching storyline with difficult decisions and long-term consequences.
- A gallery of unique expedition members who chime in during events & conversations and react to your decisions - pay attention to their morale or you may have to deal with mutiny!
- Random events that throw you into danger, present unexpected opportunities, and build relationships with the members of your expedition.
- High replayability - dynamic endings reflect decisions you've made throughout the story, how much gold you bring with you back to Spain, and how many expedition members you've lost (or gained!) along the way.
- Detailed and tactical combat - make use of flanking, traps & barricades, attacks of opportunity, interrupts, cover & concealment, character abilities, and more.
- Character management - unlock special abilities by promoting your expedition members, assign equipment to your troops, and treat injured or sick characters with a triage system.
- Dynamic trading system - barter with different merchants and buy & sell resources based on local market conditions.
- Campaign maps based on actual topological maps of the Dominican Republic and Mexico.
If all this sounds like something you might be interested in playing, please consider backing the Kickstarter to ensure that the game is finished, and that it will be able to live up to the legacy of interactive narrative and uncompromising attention to detail that made The Nameless Mod so popular.