Thief: The Dark Project is a single player stealth-based game made by Looking Glass Studios for Microsoft Windows PCs and published in 1998 by Eidos Interactive.
The player takes the role of Garrett, a master thief plying his trade in an unnamed city. Garrett posesses great thieving and stealth skills, including an almost preternatural ability to hide in shadows. These skills come partly from his growing up as a street urchin and from his later education with the secret society known as The Keepers. The game follows Garrett as he clashes with the powerful and embarks on a journey into the City's strange history, stirring up more than he bargained for.
The gameplay centres on the need to remain undetected by enemies as much as possible and the avoidance of open combat. The game achieved this through the use of highly detailed lighting, sound and AI systems that were exceptional in their day. Enemies and NPCs are able to see and hear the player and exhibit a wide variety of reactions and behaviours when they detect anything unusual; from seeking out the sound to attacking or running for help. To avoid detection the player must stay out of sight by sticking to the shadows or creating darkness by putting out lights. Players must also avoid making too much noise by moving carefully and keeping in mind what sort of surface they are walking on. Other notable features include large, complex levels with many interactive objects and a detailed physics simulation.
Here are some good sources for Thief 'mods', (or rather, Fan Missions) and instructions on how to get them running:
Fan Mission forum on TTLG
FAQ on the forum
To Celebrate Thief: The Dark Project 20th Anniversary, we have something special for you.
The Thief 2 HD Mod v1.0 is released! It comes with a lot new stuff like the new grass vegetation and other new effects...
- added 'Interactive Candles' to all T2 original missions (candles can have flames now, allow you to douse them with water arrows, snuff by frobbing, and relight with fire arrows or a flare - THX to voodoo47!)
- added lightmapped water/lava to all T2 missions
- added new grass and tree vegetation in some areas - static or animated - LODs (optional)
- added new natural HD water mod
- added 'NewDark Graphics Settings Tool v1.1' with more options!
- added full english subtitles for all characters (enabled by default!)
- added carry body mod (THX to R Soul)
- added new animation effect on water, fire and gas arrows
- added new smoke FX (torches, fireplaces, gas lamps, candles)
- added new blood FX for all enemies
- added new blood FX for Garrett (optional)
- added new moss arrow texture
- added new fire flames in some areas
- added new waterfall / fountain FX
- added new electricity FX
- added some new T2 HD textures
- added more improved object textures
- added more improved object models
- added improved AI skins (THX to Purgator and Necrobob!)
- added all Thief 1 HD textures for 'Fan Mission Mode'
- added 'NewDark v1.26' (Thief2.exe)
- fixed a problem with new sky textures
- fixed some textures
- fixed a install folder problem with the installer
On the next step you can choose between this three HD mod versions:
New Grass Vegetation (Animated) (5.9 GB) = The new grass and some trees are animated (sort of wind effect)
New Grass Vegetation (Static) (5.5 GB) = The new grass and trees are static
Original Vegetation (4.8 GB) = Without the new grass
For the best grass look you should set Anti-Aliasing to 4x or higher!
Why is this so big?
The T2 HD mod v1.0 has now also included all T1 textures for the FM mode!
There are also a lot of new T2 textures.
At the end of the installation you will see the option 'Enable LAA and higher object counts'.
The T2 HD mod won't work correctly if you disable this option. So it's required to leave it checked!!
If you have unchecked it (unfortunately) you can do it simply manuelly by double clicking the 'LAA.cmd' file which you will find in the HDMOD folder after installation.
If it's successfully patched you will see the popup window 'Large Address Aware successfully enabled in file: 'thief2.exe'.
NewDark Graphics Settings Tool v1.1
- If you move the mouse cursor over a button you will see a short info about the function!
- Subtitles are enabled by default! Use the Tool to disable them!
New Screen Overlay Blood FX:
The new blood FX is disabled by default. You can activate it with the "NewDark Graphics Settings Tool".
New Grass Vegetation:
If you have installed 'New Grass Vegetation' you will find it in some choosen areas. The grass uses the 'LOD' system what comes with NewDark.
The default LOD grass distance is set to low for better performance. But you can change the values if you want!
How to change LOD settings:
To do that go to HDMOD folder and open up the file called 'gamesys.dml' with Notepad and search for 'Grass LOD Distance'.
These two values are important:
"LOD 0->1 Dist" 30.00
"LOD 1->2 Dist" 45.00
The value for 'LOD 0->1 Dist' should always be lower than for 'LOD 1->2 Dist'.
You can try this for example:
"LOD 0->1 Dist" 65.00
"LOD 1->2 Dist" 75.00
Higher values = needs more GPU and CPU power! Find your own value.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
This is the barely finished alpha version of the Life of the Party mission from Thief2 that has been released by LGS a long time ago as Thief2 demo "Unwelcome...
This is the "Ultimate Difficulty Mod" for the T1 HD Mod. It's only for version 1.2! Requires a full installation of 1.2!
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add file and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.