Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!

Forum Thread
will the ai of enemies be better in misery 2.2? (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : MISERY : Forum : General subjects : will the ai of enemies be better in misery 2.2?) Locked
Thread Options
May 16 2016 Anchor

For me the ai of enemies is way more important that graphics updates, will it be better?

One game i remember that had grat ai was F.E.A.R Reddit.com

Giantbomb.com

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
May 17 2016 Anchor

The AI of the mutants is better with more natural and faster reactions. The NPC AI modifications are primarily for Camouflage reactions both positive and negative based upon your choices and also they now react to the use of visible light sources like head lamps.

May 17 2016 Anchor

The only real flaw I know for NPC's is the cat problem, Topol's crew seem to completly ignore them.
User Posted Image

and the only mutant thing that kind of bothers me is that they get literaly stuck in some places, moving in mid air, which of course makes them real easy to kill. I saw this infront of the circus anamoly in zaton, around the campfire area. And in Jupiter behind the concrete bath, I saw it only affect psy dogs so far though.

oh and if i'd be possible to kill stalkers without blocking traders ect for you, for my feeling there are far to many stalkers alive :D

--

Bonesetter - You look a touch pale, how about a little injection or two?

May 17 2016 Anchor
Keksfront wrote:

oh and if i'd be possible to kill stalkers without blocking traders ect for you, for my feeling there are far to many stalkers alive :D

Speaking of the AI problems you've met, I also experienced lot of them in the past, especially on example of cats when they were running in the air. Moreover, I encountered pseudogiant spawn in hallways where bloodsucker lair is, and it took me several minutes to figure this out. Poor pseudo.

And the infamous problem with NPCs turning against you is truly a gamebreaker. When I was just about to leave Zaton (I believe it was before I installed TAZ, few weeks ago), I killed a group of stalkers that turned against me during a dogstorm. I've tried to help them, unfortunately killed them after they started shooting at me and when I returned to Skadovsk, I couldn't talk to anybody. Hour of gameplay into dustbin (infrequent saves ftw) <sigh>.

But still, no mercy for any Duty member on my way. If it's going to stop my progress via turning NPCs against me, I won't even regret it, and just go back into previous savefile.

It'd be nice to stop the NPC-strike against you, though. It's really irritating for some players that like to 'hunt' stalkers from time to time, excluding bandits and mercs. Also, it'd be nice to make NPCs don't shoot you through walls (by wall I mean like few centimeters thick wall), because that's... well, cheating. And then I try to figure out whether they have heat scanners in their eyes or are just that good they can see through walls. AI is still AI, but at least it should be predictible, and shouldn't cheat too much.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
May 17 2016 Anchor

The whole point of AI is for them to be LESS predictable. The better the AI, the more they react naturally with seeming smarts. It is always possible for mutants or NPC's to be caught in an endless loop due to flukes in the engine. The cats being ignored is fixed for 2.2. Also better protections have been made against lower extremity blows to compensate for more lower body attacks.

As to the 'good guys' turning against you when you have already turned against them ... well for them not to do so would be ridiculous. Once things move onto more maps in a future release, a couple traders who will sell to anyone would be a nice touch.

In well over 5400 hours of play, I have never had an NPC turn against me without cause. It just doesn't happen AFAIK. They will turn against you if you have narrowly missed them. If you shoot at the 3 dudes who try to strong arm you for the dredge artifact and narrowly miss Petruha and Awl over by the boiler they will turn hostile. If you do a couple positive reputation quests after a small transgression, you can restore your reputation. Just like IRL it's important to watch your field of fire.

There is absolutely no need to trade for anything except one purchase from Nimble at some point for a single weapon and one closed breathing suit. So, either aim more selectively or buy everything you think you won't be able to scavenge before you turn rogue ;)

Gigants never spawn at the lair. They can wander almost anywhere as they spot an enemy and chase it down, then spot another and so on. They are a BEAST if they catch you indoors. The stomp attack works more than a floor above where they currently are.

May 17 2016 Anchor
jasper34 wrote: Gigants never spawn at the lair. They can wander almost anywhere as they spot an enemy and chase it down, then spot another and so on. They are a BEAST if they catch you indoors. The stomp attack works more than a floor above where they currently are.

Well this one somehow spawned. Either he somehow got here, or it's a matter of bugged spawn. I wish I had the screenshot. I'll check my folder later.

Also, speaking of NPCs at havens turning against you, the thing is you can't talk to Pilot, anymore, too. Thus you can't go to Yanov, thus you can't leave Zaton (I've only encountered this issue in Zaton), and you can't make any progress, and just run in circles around Zaton. The situation is different if you've already unlocked on-foot way through Iron Forest, but without it you're closed in a loop.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
May 17 2016 Anchor

I don't doubt you found one there ... it just didn't spawn there. They can climb any stair and go though most doors. They can reach the top of the concrete plant, several decks up on the second stalker ship in Zaton, inside and several floors up inside buildings, etc.

Since you know the consequences of shooting stalkers, you should avoid doing so. This is yet another reason to keep a healthy number of rotated saves and make special saves you do not reuse after significant accomplishments. Doing so enables you to time travel back before you messed up.

May 17 2016 Anchor

Well I only shoot Duty on sight or by ambush, I'm friendly or neutral towards other stalkers (especially towards Loners. Keeping Loners' lives is much more valuable to me). And yes, I've begun saving more often after this accident few weeks back.

Yeah, but the strange fact about pseudogiant was that he was DOWN the elevator; in the inner complex, where bodies of stalkers are located. I wish I had the screenshot. By the way, have you checked second batch of screenshots from me, yet?

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
May 17 2016 Anchor

I glanced at them ... good stuff. Loners are the only ones you need to leave be. Fragging Freedom and/or Duty just helps keep things interesting.

Inside the lower level is a bit weird, but falling through the top of the elevator isn't beyond the realm of possibility. Imaging thinking you are slipping away from harm by dropping down there only to have a Chimera or Gigant follow you ;) Very exciting :)

Once drawn to within sensing range of the bloodsuckers below, they might be compelled to pursue them even when no NPC's are present.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.