Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!

Forum Thread
Misery 2.1.1 Error need help (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : MISERY : Forum : General subjects : Misery 2.1.1 Error need help) Locked
Thread Options
Nov 1 2016 Anchor

Hello all,

I used to play Misery a lot a few years ago and I wanted to pick it up again, but the problem now is, the installer doesn't do its job properly.

I have a retail version of Stalker, It's called ''Stalker Trilogy'' (Tbh I just downloaded it online) And I always used to put the files or run the exe with this exact retail version of stalker.

So, when I start up Misery v2.1.1. It guides me trough the settings (Language, FOV etc) And it asks me the destination folder,

Which in my case is : C:\Program Files (x86)\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trilogy\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat (I run this on windows 8 )

As soon as I press ''Install'' the green bar fills up fast and an error message occurs with this exact message :

''An error occured while trying to read the source file : C:\users\****\Desktop\data\gamedata\*.* does not exist.

Click retry to try again, ignore to skip this file (not recommended) or abort to cancel installation''

As you might notice, the file where it asks me for the gamedata, is not in the same directory as my COP is in. Since my COP is in Program files. I made clear that I where my directory of my game is, yet it is looking at my desktop for some reason.

Does anyone know what I should do? (Btw, incase this information is helpful, I edited the fsgame.ltx, I set gamedata to true, since I read that might work but it didnt)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 1 2016 Anchor

Did you start and save the original game once before running the Misery FULL installer as administrator?

Is it a virginal installation of COP with no remnants of prior mods/installs?

Nov 2 2016 Anchor

As a general rule of thumb, you should never install games to the C:\program Files or Program Files(x86) folders. Windows tends to be very protective of those, and can cause all sort of problems.

Nov 2 2016 Anchor

@Jasper34

I did, I atleast saved 2 saves in the vanilla COP and also ran Misery installer as administrator.

When I install the retail version of COP I have these files in my main directory :

Bin - levels - localization - mp - patches - resources - EULA.txt - fsgame.ltx - gameuxinstallhelper.dll - gfw_high - gog - readme - STALKER-COP.

So, if I have a fresh install I get these files, no mods which I have atm.

@perXX I will change the directory to another file if I can and will edit this in a moment.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 2 2016 Anchor

Unless you have to, don't redirect the vanilla installation path or the mod. All the fsgame.ltx entries are pointed to default locations and if anything isn't where expected will cause unneeded problems. Saving the vanilla game creates the needed folders prior to installing mod. If you changed any of the paths, the folders could be created somewhere unexpected.

Nov 3 2016 Anchor

@Jasper34

Well, see if you can understand me in this one ;

Since there is no gamedata in my main directory of COP that means (Like you said) that the saved files are somewhere else, and I found them too.

They are in my C:\Users\Orchoi\My documents\(then something about stalker, Im not on that PC right now so I dont know, will edit this later)

If I go to that folder I can see the game saves that I made, logs and some extras.

Maybe you have an idea of what to do?

@Jasper34

Well, see if you can understand me in this one ;

Since there is no gamedata in my main directory of COP that means (Like you said) that the saved files are somewhere else, and I found them too.

They are in my C:\Users\Orchoi\My documents\(then something about stalker, Im not on that PC right now so I dont know, will edit this later)

If I go to that folder I can see the game saves that I made, logs and some extras.

Maybe you have an idea of what to do?

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 3 2016 Anchor

That sounds like the DVD distributions with the _appdata_ folder contents in your documents folder. AFAIK the installer should handle that fine. If you have a virginal install of COP (no matter what the distribution) the installer will find your install and should have no problems. This assumes you started and save the original game once. You should not need to edit fsgame.ltx at all. If it is not entirely at its default settings, I would probably delete it before installing the mod and it will be recreated the way it is supposed to be. AFAIK, you should not need to point the installer at all, it should find your installation. I can't recall anyone else having a similar problem.

kcs123
kcs123 Just Kcs123
Nov 3 2016 Anchor
orchoi2 wrote:

Does anyone know what I should do? (Btw, incase this information is helpful, I edited the fsgame.ltx, I set gamedata to true, since I read that might work but it didnt)

That might be issue too. In "fsgame.ltx" is info where game looks for other folders. By editing, you might disturbed other variables for folder paths.
I have edited my for "$app_data_root$" to be in "C:\misery". So, logs, screenshots and saved games are nested in that folder. Game use subfolders relative to that.

That allows you to have multiple instances of game with different mods installed. Here how my "fsgame.ltx" looks like:

;abbreviation           = recurs|notif|  root|                  add|        ext|            description
$app_data_root$         = true | false | C:\MISERY\
$arch_dir$              = false| false| $fs_root$
$game_arch_mp$          = false| false| $fs_root$|            mp\
$arch_dir_levels$       = false| false| $fs_root$|            levels\
$arch_dir_resources$    = false| false| $fs_root$|            resources\
$arch_dir_localization$ = false| false| $fs_root$|            localization\
$arch_dir_patches$      = false| true|  $fs_root$|            patches\
$game_data$             = true|  true|  $fs_root$|            gamedata\
$game_ai$               = true|  false| $game_data$|          ai\
$game_spawn$            = true|  false| $game_data$|          spawns\
$game_levels$           = true|  false| $game_data$|          levels\
$game_meshes$           = true|  true|  $game_data$|          meshes\|       *.ogf;*.omf|   Game Object files
$game_anims$            = true|  true|  $game_data$|          anims\|        *.anm;*.anms|  Animation files
$game_dm$               = true|  true|  $game_data$|          meshes\|       *.dm|          Detail Model files
$game_shaders$          = true|  true|  $game_data$|          shaders\
$game_sounds$           = true|  true|  $game_data$|          sounds\
$game_textures$         = true|  true|  $game_data$|          textures\
$game_config$           = true|  false| $game_data$|          configs\
$game_weathers$         = true|  false| $game_config$|        environment\weathers
$game_weather_effects$  = true|  false| $game_config$|        environment\weather_effects
$textures$              = true|  true|  $game_data$|          textures\
$level$                 = false| false| $game_levels$
$game_scripts$          = true|  false| $game_data$|          scripts\|      *.script|      Game script files
$logs$                  = true|  false| $app_data_root$|      logs\
$screenshots$           = true|  false| $app_data_root$|      screenshots\
$game_saves$            = true|  false| $app_data_root$|      savedgames\
$downloads$             = false| false| $app_data_root$
$game_class_assaulter$  = true|  false| $game_data$|          class_diversity\assaulter\
$game_class_recon$      = true|  false| $game_data$|          class_diversity\recon\
$game_class_sniper$     = true|  false| $game_data$|          class_diversity\sniper\

Please note additional variables for class diversity that does not come with vanilla game. So, by editing/replacing stuff in "fsgame.ltx" you might broke something more than you are repairing it. Misery installer should take care of those data, there is no need for additional editing if you don't know exactly what are you doing.

--

Nov 4 2016 Anchor

Well, I completely reinstalled Stalker trilogy, and instead of placing it in the standard Program files(86x), I placed it in

C:\Users\orchoi\Downloads\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trilogy\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat , so keep in mind this is a complete fresh reinstallation, so no changes whatsoever, even Fsgame.ltx is unchanged.

$arch_dir$ = false| false| $fs_root$
$game_arch_mp$ = false| false| $fs_root$| mp\
$arch_dir_levels$ = false| false| $fs_root$| levels\
$arch_dir_resources$ = false| false| $fs_root$| resources\
$arch_dir_localization$ = false| false| $fs_root$| localization\
$arch_dir_patches$ = false| true| $fs_root$| patches\
$game_data$ = false| true| $fs_root$| gamedata\
$game_ai$ = true| false| $game_data$| ai\
$game_spawn$ = true| false| $game_data$| spawns\
$game_levels$ = true| false| $game_data$| levels\
$game_meshes$ = true| true| $game_data$| meshes\| *.ogf;*.omf| Game Object files
$game_anims$ = true| true| $game_data$| anims\| *.anm;*.anms| Animation files
$game_dm$ = true| true| $game_data$| meshes\| *.dm| Detail Model files
$game_shaders$ = true| true| $game_data$| shaders\
$game_sounds$ = true| true| $game_data$| sounds\
$game_textures$ = true| true| $game_data$| textures\
$game_config$ = true| false| $game_data$| configs\
$game_weathers$ = true| false| $game_config$| environment\weathers
$game_weather_effects$ = true| false| $game_config$| environment\weather_effects
$textures$ = true| true| $game_data$| textures\
$level$ = false| false| $game_levels$
$game_scripts$ = true| false| $game_data$| scripts\| *.script| Game script files
$app_data_root$ = true| false| C:\Users\Idris\Documents\Stalker-COP\
$logs$ = true| false| $app_data_root$| logs\
$screenshots$ = true| false| $app_data_root$| screenshots\
$game_saves$ = true| false| $app_data_root$| savedgames\
$downloads$ = false| false| $app_data_root$

After that, I proceeded with trying to install Misery once again, and redirected it to my new path, same error like before.

It says that the gamedata on my DESKTOP has not been found, that is where the issue is. Let me write it down C:\users\orchoi\Desktop\data\gamedata\*.*

See? It says desktop, not the path where I put it, maybe the fault lies within that? I have Misery v.2.1.1 installer, and that's it. Maybe I need a patch or a new installer? I really dont know.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 4 2016 Anchor

I would think that would say orchoi if orchoi is your sign-on user name. Are you installing COP as one windows user, and Misery as a different one? Just reaching for straws here.

Nov 4 2016 Anchor

Oh no lol, I wrote down orchoi in this thread to keep my own name private, but there it went anyway lol. Everything that says /orchoi/ is just /idris/ nothing more

Edit : Im going offline right now, it's 2 AM, I will be online tomorrow and frequently check this thread for answers

Edited by: orchoi2

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 4 2016 Anchor

ROFL oops. Without it being IdrisBlank from such and such, I think your identity is fairly safe LOL. This is the only time I have seen your particular distribution (the trilogy). Have you tried, just for giggles, creating the folder it states it can't find where is says it is looking for it?

Do you, by any chance, know another gamer with that distribution? I've seen retail DVD, Steam GoG, and probably one or two others, but not this one and this problem.

Does your trilogy installer install all three games or give you a choice to install just one?

kcs123
kcs123 Just Kcs123
Nov 5 2016 Anchor

Well, whatever your chosen folder is, you have to ensure that game engine can read it.

Double check that this folder really exist and give it permission rights to be readable/writeable for all users.

edit:

Try to avoid spaces in folder names

Edited by: kcs123

--

Nov 5 2016 Anchor

@Jasper34

I actually did make a ''gamedata'' folder on my desktop and looked what it did, but no succes.

I'm on my uncle's PC, and this is the first time this occured. On my old pc this never happened to me. Well there might be ONE issue what may cause this ;

There are 4 different users on the C:\ boot, 1. Administrator 2. Idris 3. Public 4. UpdateUser

So, I'm not on the Administrator but on Idris, and although I don\t have 100% full admin acces, I still have enough to install/delete/edit almost everything.

So the first issue is this : After the trilogy is installed, the installer asks me if I want to install 2 extra's , I don't fully remember but I tought something with Frameworks and another thing (Just regular things you almost always get when you instal old games) but when I press 2 of them and press continue, they don't install because I don't have complete admin privilege's, so I skipped them. Maybe that can cause the issue, do not know.

The 2nd thing : When I open the Misery installer, I can choose the path where to install the game, and when I go to my path, I have to go trough Users first, then to download, and in the Users there is no ''Idris'' but there is ''Adam'' (Uncle) , when I press on ''Adam'' it automatically changes itself to Idris. And when the error occures it says the error with the path : C:\users\idris\Desktop\data\gamedata\*.* So I'm not entirely sure if the error is because the PC might think it is saved in Adam a non-existent Adam folder while it is saved in my Idris user folder.

This, however is not the deal when I manually open the C drive and look trough the users, in there you can clearly see ''Idris'' and not ''Adam'' So im not sure if this can cause anything.

--------------- Maybe, one solution might be that you upload your modified COP (with misery) to somewhere, and I copy all files and paste them over my own folder, might that work?

kcs123 wrote:

Well, whatever your chosen folder is, you have to ensure that game engine can read it.

Double check that this folder really exist and give it permission rights to be readable/writeable for all users.

edit:

Try to avoid spaces in folder names

-----------------------------

Well , the folder is really there and it contains these 4 items : Logs, Savedgames, Shader_cache, user

I however do not fully understand how to give it permission to be readable/writable.

But I don't think that's the problem however, the problem is that the Misery installer wants to find a gamedata folder on my desktop while I never said anything about a desktop to the installer.

kcs123
kcs123 Just Kcs123
Nov 5 2016 Anchor

I however do not fully understand how to give it permission to be readable/writable.

Right click on folder, open properties. Choose Security tab. There you will find list of user groups. Should click on "users" (for all regular users on machine) and then on edit. Put check on "full control" and then on apply.

You might also do that on folder for main game. That is way to trick installer to do everything properly on user accounts without full administrative rights.
Most probably you encounter such issues because of faulty install that comes from unproper acess rights on folders.

I doubt that full installed game along with Misery on top with it will help. Steam users have personolised data in installed folder that will not work on different machines.
Don't know about same thing from DVD users, you probably need to do some trickery too, to install game properly with your serial number and then overwrite folder from some other install. I think that CoC holds data about CD key in registry, but I never bothered to search for acurate location. Most likely you will put yourself in different kind of issues with full install files from other machine.

--

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 5 2016 Anchor

I agree with KCS. Our installer requires full admin privileges to set proper permissions and create all the needed folders. Having it installed as your Uncle (under his user) and made available to all users should work perfectly without needing to trick anything.

I'm almost sure that is your problem.

Nov 5 2016 Anchor

Well, you see, if I go to security tab, I see these 3 users : System / Adam / Administrators (Adam/Administrators)

But no ''Idris'' , may that be the cause of the error? And if so, how do I add Idris? Because if I press ''Add'' in that menu it only shows a pc icon with ''Adam''

You know guys I think Im just asking too much of you guys, it's the best if I just do this on my old pc (This is a temporarly pc) so I don't annoy you guys with errors you probably dont know answers for

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 5 2016 Anchor

The answer is you need to be signed on as your uncle, install and start the game once. Install Misery FULL version as administrator by right-clicking on installer and run as admin. Then you should be able to logon as anyone and play fine.

Or, simply ask your uncle to change your user to have admin rights long enough to install, and then he can change it back.

Nov 6 2016 Anchor

lmao, you probably gonna kill me for this but hear me out,

I'm such a retard. Such a retard. When I installed the installer, it came in a zip file, so me, being a idiot tought it would be faster to just drag the installer to the desktop and install it, leaving the other files in the zip file.

That's why it didn't work. I think I don't even deserve to have a pc after this action lol

Altough I have one question, is it not possible to skip the animations of eating and healing? In dangerous situations I cant risk watching an animation for 10 seconds

Edited by: orchoi2

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 6 2016 Anchor

I'm afraid that is the point. Should you use a medkit which heals slower, but is cheaper with more side effects, or a stimpack which costs more, but doesn't leave you defenseless as long. You need to seek temporary security before doing the former. Perhaps someone will come up with an add-on which is virtually animation free.

Nov 6 2016 Anchor

I actually do remember that I turned off the animations trough the gamedata/config file somewhere, im searching up on internet how I did it.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.