Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!

Forum Thread
looting and salvaging in 2.2 - share your experiences (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : MISERY : Forum : General subjects : looting and salvaging in 2.2 - share your experiences) Locked
Thread Options
Nov 26 2017 Anchor

Greetings Stalkers,
by now I have almost completed my first playtrough with 2.2. Im one of those players who wants to take advantage as much as possible and takes every little thing that is worth some money, so I really enjoyed getting to know the new repair/salvage system. In my opinion the changes and additions made in 2.2 could have not been more on the spot.
It got rid of one of the main flaws I felt there was in 2.1 which was that you just couldn't fix up stuff if you had the bad luck of it being 1% below the cap. Now with enough spare parts you can fix up anything. Sure you could have payed the mechanic an arm and a leg but mostly you'd have to wait to find another weapon in better quality. and the list which shows the condidtion of your items is also extremly usefull.

So I would like to know from you STALKERS what your tactics are with the new salvaging, repairing and mutant looting systems. What do you have in your inventory when you go for a standard run? which items do you use to dismantle and skin mutants?

Also I have a bunch of mixed questions and observations to which some of you might have a comment or answer. so here it goes:

I usually have the large hunting knife, a sharp pocketknive and 1-2 full grindstones with me. Grindstones are really cheap and weigh very little so I always have enough with me, I try to keep my hunting knife at least at 80% condition. Im not sure if that is the best knife for skinning mutants, the Hunters backpack is reusable but it weighs quit a bit. Im not sure if the other knifes and the axe are more effecitve?

I have a lot of stashes around each map, either in cleared out stashes or the GPA marked backpacks. In there is always at least one crowbar/hammer/shovel and grinding stones - besides the usualy food, drugs and fixing stuff.

So if I shoot some NPC's I loot everything they have and haul it to one of those safe places. I either dump everything there to return another while or dismantle everything with the reusable crowbar/shovel/hammer. The sharp pocketknife or for example a sharp set of cuttlery which happend to be in the loot I use for dismanteling broken radio/flashlight/headlamp. The detectors I sell as they are they give quite some money. (Full battery pack as you can loot it gives you 1200 I think so some things are worth more if you sell them as they are)

Weapons I want to keep or I want the scope (still trying to figure out which ones are actually salvagable: the fn2000 and g36 scopes too? ) I carry back to base and dismantle them with a proper kit. explosvies and armor attachments I sell as well.

Now the reausable hard tools like crowbar I use because they are found frequently and do the job, if you just haul in 30 guns to your safe spot. Do these actually have differences too in the results they yield? (military shovel seems "better" then the "rusty" one, but does it actually matter?)

In terms of mutant hunting, I sticked with the knife I got at the start of the game. as >I said I keep it at least at 80% and have enough grindstones on me and around the map. As In mutant parts you can use chimera horns - but they are worth more if you sell them, grindstones are very cheap. and mutated crow beaks, who seems to be worth only 80 or so to vendors. I think the way with crow beaks is to cook them though, they make extremly potent drinks!

What tools/knifes do you use? Is it worth stashing a hunters kit somewhere and bringing it for your highly mutant populated areas? Which items in your opinion are more worth if you sell them then if you dismantle them?

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Nov 26 2017 Anchor

Get, carry and use a utility knife. It has low blunt rate and is the lightest. I don't use a knife as a weapon, if you do, you may have better models for that purpose.

A few simple makeshift tools like cutlery and a sharpening stone are the lightest you can get away with and can be used via the quick slots making salvaging quick and easy. Drop one of your already sharpened cutlery into f4 slot and press f4 to bring open the salvage UI. When the key stops working, you have worn out all the cutlery and need to sharpen the lot. 4-5 sets and a sharpening set easily get em through nay single trip out of base. I get 1-5 salvages per set. TBH, crowbars are pretty cheap. You can carry one outbound, use it before returning with a full pack, and ditch it or stash it for later. No sharpening needed, and you can edit its size in trade_items.ltx to be 1x1 squares and use it in a quick slot too.

Leather boots are one of my favorite items to break down. Lots of good materials to sell or use in repairs. Any weapon with a permascope can have the scope salvaged with a weapon kit, but only the 5.5X and up scopes are worth it IMHO. All armor are worth breaking down, especially those with helmets. Once you have no further use for them, use a kit to break them down for lots of goodies.

Edited by: jasper34

Dec 4 2017 Anchor

thanks, been using pocketknifes and cuttlery it works very well in the field. just gotta remember to bring enough to pripyat. I like that gary sells way less now, obviously its not too convinient but more realistic, since pripyat is furthest from supply lines.

do different makeshift tools have a different effectivenes? for example military shovel vs rusty shovel or crowbar vs hammer or pocketknife vs cuttlery

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Dec 5 2017 Anchor

Other than the high end dismantle kits for armor and weapons, it does not matter. The condition of the item determines the range of probabilities for each dismantle. High end kits enable the really good results like full helmets and scopes.

Dec 5 2017 Anchor

I was actually looking at the file a bit ago and you can get bonuses from different items. Here is the weapon section...

; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;; FIREARMS PROBABS, TOOL BHV AND CONTENT ;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
[wpn_probabs]
; Target-condition-based tiers amount.
tier_amt = 4
; Tier treshlods (with target condition value in descending order).
tier_1_perc = 1
tier_2_perc = 0.75
tier_3_perc = 0.5
tier_4_perc = 0.25
; Base slot probab for each tier.
tier_1_main_slot_probab = 45
tier_2_main_slot_probab = 30
tier_3_main_slot_probab = 15
tier_4_main_slot_probab = 5
; Base slot probab adjustment for each tool. This value will be added to base probab.
dp_hammer_inv = 1
dp_crowbar = 1
dp_shovel_old = 1
dp_shovel_mili = 1
dp_swiss_sharp = 5
dp_cutlery_sharp = 4
dp_shovel_mili_sharp = 1
dp_shovel_old_sharp = 1
dp_grooming_sharp = -3
dp_kit = 45
; Weapon condition tresholds for determining if dismantled fixed scope will be in its good/moist/worn variety.
fixed_scope_tier_1_perc = 1
fixed_scope_tier_2_perc = 0.66
fixed_scope_tier_3_perc = 0.33
; Below this condition common basic operations (ammo unload and addons detach) will fail.
weap>

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.