Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!

Forum Thread
A note on DirectX 10/11 light setting (long load time) (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : MISERY : Forum : General subjects : A note on DirectX 10/11 light setting (long load time)) Locked
Thread Options
Nyayr
Nyayr Reconnaissance Beta
Oct 27 2014 Anchor

I recently got a new card and started playing on Dx 11 dynamic light setting, I noticed the load times going from 10-15 sec towards 80-90, the same happened with the DX 10 settings but not with the DX9 Enhanced Full Dynamic lighting setting. So anyone having trouble with a 2 minute load time for saves, you might give the lower setting a try, though it is less classy.

I can't pinpoint what the issue is exactly but it is a problem vanilla had too.

PS: the first time you load a save after rebooting your cpu generally takes twice as long, cause of the shit load of data that go into memory.

Nov 4 2014 Anchor

I have 8gb ram and use a Radeon 7750 2gb RAM. I've always used the 10DX on full everything and max settings. I go and grab a snack the first time I load a game lol

Each load after takes 30 secs or there about. It just takes a long time to load it seems =/

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Jul 30 2015 Anchor

A user identified one of the problems and a fix for long load times if you are using a Steam version:
Joshmccarty.com

kcs123
kcs123 Just Kcs123
Jul 30 2015 Anchor

Also put in consideration that when you first time run game with new renderer, game engine need some time to catch more common textures.

As you play game for some time that renderer cach become more optimized and loading times become slightly lower.

For exemple you can find DX11 catched files in folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. – Call of Pripyat\shaders_cache\r4

For DX10 it is "r3", if I recall properly. Full path to folder may be different between retail(DVD) and steam version of game.

--

ElCaz4dor
ElCaz4dor The Darkest Recon
Aug 31 2015 Anchor

15-30 Minutes loading time for me. 2Gb RAM.

If the lower settings decrease loading time, then I'm more than happy to do it :D

--

"What, still here?" - Merc Knight Gael

kcs123
kcs123 Just Kcs123
Aug 31 2015 Anchor

15-30 Minutes loading time for me. 2Gb RAM.

No wonder. 2 Gb is too low. Game use virtual RAM on HDD to compensate lack of memory. Reading from HDD is much, much slower than reading from RAM.
On normal rig that meets minimum system requirements, loading time is no more than 3-4 min. Subjective opinion, I didn't actualy meassure it.

--

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Aug 31 2015 Anchor

Yes, try my hardware tips for below spec rigs. You may still be able to play ... worth a shot. Dropbox.com

ElCaz4dor
Aug 31 2015 Anchor

I tried the Static Lighting Renderer setting but the game crashed on third minute.

Thank you nonetheless.

Loading time is not that much of a problem (I spend the time to get ready to step in the zone, you know :D). The game itself runs smoothly most of the time (Unless you're in Jupiter while being chased by a huge pack of dogs.).

Just a heads up for those with long loading times: The in-game time passes as the game is loading. Reload the save again after the game has loaded.

--

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Aug 31 2015 Anchor

Try static with the low preset. Use the next lower screen resolution to your native resolution that matches your ratio 16:9, 16:10, etc. Lowering alife to the vanilla 150 will help too. Lowering the resolution should give you further between CTD's.

ElCaz4dor
Aug 31 2015 Anchor

Static Lightning doesn't seem to work (Crash on loading screen at 2:45); but, Full Dyn. Lightning (DX9) works fine (Loading time: 3:45) but the game doesn't run as smooth as on FDL:DX11. I think it's a this or that situation. I'll tinker with the settings and Alife later, and I'll update.

Thank you for your time.

--

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Aug 31 2015 Anchor

To make your experimentation more productive and sure, follow the procedures in my graphics tips. Every system is unique, so DX9 or 10 may actually work better for you than 11 or 8(static). Deleting tmp.ltx and copying user.ltx back into the same directory and renaming the copy tmp is KEY to quickly verifying if a new set of settings is really working. It may sound stupid, but set alife.ltx switch_distance to 50 first. Get your video optimized and crashes to stop. Then push your switch_distance up 50 at a time until you're no longer happy with the FPS. 150 was original game switch_distance just for reference.

ElCaz4dor
Sep 1 2015 Anchor

The best possible option is FDL:DX9 with Medium preset. 30+ FPS and short loading time (3 mins and 45 seconds) and a fair amount of visuals. It's a win-win-win :D

Thank you.

--

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Sep 1 2015 Anchor

If you wouldn't mind posting your CPU speed, GPU model and final settings including switch_distance, it would be of help to others and for reference :D

Oh, and did you verify you are not in compatibility mode as mentioned in fix above?

ElCaz4dor
Sep 1 2015 Anchor

Of course I don't, here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom 8650, 2.3 GHz, 3x (Triple Core)

GPU: HD 6950 1GB GDDR5, default Clocks

RAM: 2GB DDR2 1066MHz

HDD: 500GB, 7200 RPM

Resolution: 1360x768

Graphics settings:

Enhanced Full Dynamic Lightning; DX9

Medium preset, with:

50% AF, 75% Vision Distance, 50% Texture Details.

80% Lightning Distance and 80% Shadows. 15% Anti Aliasing.

(These percents are not exact, they are the best I could guess)

SSAO mode is default and its quality is low.

(SSAO seems to be a cause of long loading times) (3mins45seconds vs 3mins6seconds [HBAO vs default])

Alife switch_distance has been set to 200. (Not during this test.)

Also using: TAZ 1.7.4 by MP5lng and Absolute Nature 3 Lite by CrommCruac and a few sound replacements.

Loading Time: 3 minutes and 6 seconds, Zaton, Waste Processing station with all but two of the mercs present.

FPS: 25-95 (Vsync and Frequency 60Hz are disabled) with a few stutterings here and there (Lightning and explosions).

Not in compatibility mode.

Hope it helps. :D

P.S.

It was Enhance Full Dynamic Lightning; DX9 all along, I was wrong, sorry.

Edited by: ElCaz4dor

--

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Sep 1 2015 Anchor

Turn off AA and ssao. You should see a nice performance pick up.

ElCaz4dor
Sep 12 2015 Anchor

I have some really good news.

My corrupted saves of end-Jupiter got uncorrupted, thanks to the changes in graphics settings. Jupiter's loading time is now just like Zaton's. Fewer stutterings than before. Very fewer.

Arrived at Pripyat.

Best mod ever... That's all I can say...

--

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Sep 12 2015 Anchor

Pripyat is the least populated and except for the final battle should perform very well. That's good news - Stalk on!

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.