Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!

Forum Thread
7.62x39 Ammo Box Graphics (Simple Request) (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : MISERY : Forum : General subjects : 7.62x39 Ammo Box Graphics (Simple Request)) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 4 2016 Anchor

I really like this ammo type being in the game, and my favorite guns in the game using it. The only thing that annoys me about it is that the graphics for the ammo boxes of the two different types (AP vs. FMJ) are so similar that it makes it difficult for me to tell the difference between the two icons. The only difference I can tell is that the AP box is a slightly lighter shade of brownish-yellowish-green than the FMJ version, and I find myself forgetting which type I have selected after a while of not shooting anything, and not being able to tell at a glance which ammo is selected.

Because of this I find myself having to arbitrarily swap ammo types just to notice the color change of the ammo box icons so I can make sure I have the right ammo in my gun before battle, which is pretty dumb. All that needs to be done to fix this is simply putting a small black stripe on the AP ammo box like the NATO rounds use to differentiate their different versions, or something. Or just make the shade of the two boxes more obviously contrasting to each other.

I was going to try to do this to fix it for myself, but I found out that I don't have the right software to edit the weird file formats (ogf apparently) that the ammo box graphics use for some reason. I would really like to see this fixed in the next version of Misery if at all possible, and I am assuming this would be a pretty easy thing for the Misery devs to change.

I also know that this isn't just my problem. I'm not even remotely colorblind, and I have seen other people in video playthroughs of this mod having the same kind of trouble with this as me.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Jun 4 2016 Anchor

I have no trouble telling them apart, just trouble remembering for every ammo which color is AP LOL. I'm sure we can slightly adjust the green a little greener and the orange a bit more saturated too. Since there are people who are color blind, even a couple different kinds, I will suggest that we consider also using a convention on the non-NATO rounds such as putting AP on them if the stripe would offend anyone because they are not NATO rounds.

Jun 5 2016 Anchor

Well you're lucky then, because I can see colors really well (I have to be able to for my job), and I really do have this problem with the colors of these ammo boxes for some reason. So I'm sure some people with certain colorblindness would too.

As soon as I swap the ammo type it becomes obvious to me which one is which, but if I go for any extended length of time not using my gun for a while (maybe I'm selling a lot of stuff, doing repairs, or reading some dialogs), and when I bring my gun back up I can stare at the icon of that ammo box all day and not be able to tell which one it us until I swap it back and forth. And it's not that I'm forgetting that the lighter more greenish color is the AP, it's that I literally can't tell that color from the slightly more brownish one very easily until they are immediately compared.

I can understand wanting to preserve the realism as much as possible, and if that is what these ammo boxes look like in real life, then I can understand not wanting to alter them too much. But in real life I could use a marker to write on the boxes myself if I needed to so I didn't get them mixed up, and that is what I would do if they looked that similar. So since it's a game that doesn't have that option, the AP rounds box should just come with a little something extra to make it more obvious for the sake of functionality.

Thanks for responding.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Jun 5 2016 Anchor

TBH since AP rounds are illegal almost everywhere there are not a ton of examples to find. I have suggested some distinguishing mark like a star or the letters AP for color blind people, if nothing else. I never waste space/weight carrying anything but AP rounds personally. They kill everything and I've only come close to running out of ammo twice in hundreds of play throughs. So I very seldom have any need to distinguish between them in combat. We use a subdued color scheme which is why things seem closer in color, they have less color to begin with. A simple star would be plenty to tell them apart. I prefer to not even have the ammo type or quantity displayed on the HUD, simply the fire mode. I should be able to remember what type of ammo is in my gun and count rounds to know when I am ready to reload.

Jun 6 2016 Anchor

I don't care what it is as long as they add something extra to the AP rounds box, anything to make it a little more distinguishable. Thanks for backing me on that. In the real world I would be putting stripes on my mags that I keep the AP rounds in when I'm carrying both types in the field. And in the game, even in the end game I still carry both types. The reason why is because if I save my AP rounds for killing humans specifically, then I don't accidentally burn through them on the mutants I come cross on the way to raid sites. There's also the fact that even when you can afford to blow through your AP rounds on anything, the merchants still don't sell as many of them at a time as the FMJ's. So unless you want to sit there and reload your save over and over to exploit the merchants inventory refresh rate until you get as many bullets as you want, it's more efficient to just buy both kinds and use them for what they are made for.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Jun 6 2016 Anchor

I use m203's for pesky mutants ;) Everyone's style is right for them until it isn't. You have to be adaptable in Misery if you were a spray and pray player before. I love the many ways there are to go about the same objectives. When I am playing without using traders at all, only bartering with NPC's or looting for everything I use every round I find :) Happy Hunting!

Jun 6 2016 Anchor

I use plenty of rifle grenades when I need to, or when I think it's advantageous to, but they aren't exactly the best idea in those close unexpected encounters ;)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.