Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!

Forum Thread
2.1 Beta - Unusual Crashes (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : MISERY : Forum : General subjects : 2.1 Beta - Unusual Crashes) Locked
Thread Options
Mar 10 2015 Anchor

Hi Everyone.

If someone can tell me which part of my crash log I need to post to get help, that would be great.

The reason I am using 2.1Beta is because I can't update my game without my saves being incompatible.

I travelled to Pripyat, found the Gauss Gun, came back. Went to the Testing Workshop etc did all that mission. I realised I forgot to give Garry artifacts so I loaded back to before I travelled to Pripyat to start again.

This time I did everything above but after finding the Gauss Gun whenever I get to Zaton the game will not save via options menu while I am carrying the gauss gun. If I drop the gauss gun and save it, it saves, but I cannot load those saves (crashes). Quicksave crashes the game if carrying the gauss gun, if I drop it it saves but loading those saves crashes the game.

So I went back to the oldest save I had before the game was crashing, and did it all again. It still crashes now in Zaton anytime after I have the gauss gun.

Note : I mentioned that I went to Pripyat before and came back without issue just to indicate that I do not have a corrupted/dodgy game... I have progressed that far before and it didn't do this.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Mar 10 2015 Anchor

The part after fatal error at the bottom of the log. It would be located in the _appdata_/logs directory. Check the main page for facebook link and the teaser for next release. You'll have to start a new game for that, but tons of great new features coming ....

Mar 10 2015 Anchor

It just has thousands of these entries :

! load/save mismatch, object: ''

Final part of the log shows :

stack trace:

0023:710D513C MSVCR80.dll, memcpy()
0023:00A14DDC xrCore.dll, NET_Packet::r()
0023:00A26335 xrCore.dll, NET_Packet::r_float_q8()

[error][ 87] : The parameter is incorrect.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Mar 10 2015 Anchor

The team is busy working on finishing touches for next release, so might not get to you about 2.1.1beta problem, but I found this about MSVCR80: Answers.microsoft.com might be worth checking out. Those numerous other errors above the fatal error part are pretty typical, I think. I highly recommend a clean install and full version of next release when it comes. You will have to start new game, but won't want to miss out on some great new stuff.

Edited by: jasper34

Mar 11 2015 Anchor

Honestly I looked at the release notes for the next version and none of them particularly interest me.

What I am mostly worried about is that if I update and start again I will get to this same section and get another completely unstoppable crash i.e game ruining. Then I will have put in lots of effort just to get back to where I was for nothing. I don't like my chances.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Mar 11 2015 Anchor

I've been testing the Beta's for weeks and they are more stable than ever. Many issues that caused storyline breaking problems requiring use of a spawner to workaround have been addressed. I haven't experienced a single save breaking problem. A key factor to preventing problems is Completely avoiding the use of Quick or Auto Saves. They corrupt you save games. Disabling the autosave function will prevent any but map changing autosaves which you can regularly delete. What are your system specs? I might be able to suggest a configuration best suited to your rig.

Mar 11 2015 Anchor

i5-3570K
Geforce 660
16gb Ram

I've got no spec problems. I have had or reloaded to avoid storyline breaking problems etc.

I have overcome all these issues already. I don't want to start again. I appreciate what you are saying but I am really just after someone being able to look at my log and tell me what went wrong so I can avoid doing it.

Mega.nz

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Mar 11 2015 Anchor

If you have loaded from a quick save or auto save at any point, from that point forward all subsequent saves are likely to be corrupted. It's the number one thing that breaks games. Just about everything else has a workaround. You've got same CPU and my last GPU, so you're right ... you should have no normal performance problems. Stack trace errors happen when a buffer gets overrun, often because of some logic loop from a battle or chase going on within your switch_distance. The only other thing you could try is lowering your switch distance to 20, load game and save somewhere away from activity within 20 meters, then restore switch distance and see if save works. If your save game is corrupted going to a hard save that predates the corruption is only fix. Are you using any weapons mods or any additional mods?

Edited by: jasper34

Mar 11 2015 Anchor

I'd made literally thousands upon thousands of quicksaves. Autosaves too.

When Misery came out I read the entire documentation that came with it and nowhere did it say "Don't use quicksave."

I was using no additional mods.

I have fixed this issue : I loaded my save from before I went to Pripyat (Strider join the squad - savegame name), I redid the entire Pripyat Underground and then the gauss mission. I have now returned to Zaton and it is not having any of the same issues.

I had previously tried to load from a hard save in this manner to fix the issue from various points : Arrival in the underpass, arrival in pripyat, joining the squad to find the gauss gun etc. None of these worked.

The only hard save that allowed me to continue and not experience save corruption (once I found the gauss gun and went to Zaton) was before I entered the underpass.

I'm going to update the OP to indicate that this fixed it. Obviously somewhere in my Pripyat Underground or Pripyat loading something went wrong.

It is worth noting of all of my Journeys to Pripyat :

1. Did not collect all Underpass Loot (Nothing except Seva Suit and the items with it) = No save corruption.
2. Collected all Underpass Loot (Everything I could find according to the wiki walkthrough) = Save corruption.
3. Did not collect any Underpass Loot (Only collected the Seva suit and other items there) = No save corruption.

This probably IS NOT the cause. I am just listing it in case anyone else has trouble with this issue in future and wants to use any pointers they can get their hands on. Note on that on one of my underpass exits I was stuck under the map. Taking off my seva suit and replacing it with the other one I found fixed this immediately.

Thanks for the input. I hope any of this helps someone.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Mar 11 2015 Anchor

It's the quick saves ... I've helped dozens of players with the issue. Yasti did some great work making it less likely to have corrupted saves, but it still happens. Because of this there will be a special pop-up note on install of next release warning against them. It's been mentioned dozens of times on the main page and forums and still the message never reaches all. Now everyone will have to ignore the warning at their own risk. The only remaining very frequent bug is when talking to the Medic in Kindergarten. I'm told switching to static lighting before talking to him works, but I KNOW lowering alife.ltx switch_distance to 20 first, going through cut scenes and saving, and restoring to normal switch_distance always works. Good luck with rest of play!

Mar 11 2015 Anchor

Thanks very much.

Could you link me to something that explains the quicksave problems maybe?

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Mar 11 2015 Anchor

If you go to the forum and just use the word quick you will see just how many posts there are about it. There are probably several threads too. You're going to see my name a lot ...

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.