An expansion/overhaul mod of epic proportions, with entirely rebalanced gameplay, expanded factions, new gametypes, graphical overhauls, and five new factions; stealth-based Confederate Revolutionaries, tower defense-inspired Atomic Kingdom of China, economy-focused Mediterranean Syndicate, DotA-esque Order of the Talon and spammy Electrical Protectorate.

Forum Thread
Shogun 2 or Civ V? (Games : C&C: Red Alert 3 : Mods : Red Alert 3 Paradox : Forum : Random : Shogun 2 or Civ V?) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 12 2011 Anchor

Here's the thing. I'm thinking of buying one of two games: Total War; Shogun 2 or Sid Meier's Civilization V. I haven't had any experience with either franchise and I honestly can't decide between them.

Total War; Shogun 2 looks like an epic game and I really like how the gameplay is split between RTS and turn-based strategy. The graphics and the coolness of Feudal Japan appeal to me but I really am starting to get bored of RTS's where using sneaky tactics just doesn't work and I am afraid that this will be the same.

ON the other hand, we have Sid's Civ V. It has a more tactical feel to it and sounds like a game I could really get addicted to. I also have quite a few friends who have the game and so could have some good multiplayer action. However it is double the price and i'm not sure if I could run it on my old, shoddy computer.

So there you have it. Can someone solve this dilemma for me?

Edited by: Smayo

--

"Even if a pawn becomes a queen, it is still just a playing piece.."
-President Johnson (MGS2)

Jun 12 2011 Anchor

You could always get Civilization 4 instead; it's cheaper, less hardware specific, and doesn't have that stupid "One unit per tile" flaw. It's basically the same game; heck, so is Civ 3 and 2.

--

GriffinZ
GriffinZ I like puppies :D
Jun 14 2011 Anchor

And along with PL, you could always get Mediaval 2 Total War or Empire Total War instead ;)

Jun 14 2011 Anchor

PsychoticLoner wrote: You could always get Civilization 4 instead; it's cheaper, less hardware specific, and doesn't have that stupid "One unit per tile" flaw. It's basically the same game; heck, so is Civ 3 and 2.

The reason the one unit per tile is there is to stop people from making the stack of death and bulldozing everyone. That requires no strategy at all. In Shogun 2, there is no stealth, but like you said, has pretty epic battles. Civ 5 doesn't have stealth either, just fog of war. But the ai cannot see through the fog of war, so it's close enough. So I would say that shogun 2 would be a better buy, but civ is very close.
BTW, I never played the total war series and I love civ, but I am also thinking of picking up shogun.

Jun 19 2011 Anchor

Shogun 2 is a better buy, Civ 5 is the worst game I have ever bought from the series and you'll get bored of it quickly from the over-simplified nanny features and wtf ai.

Igncom1
Igncom1 Support Commander of the Protectorate.
Jun 28 2011 Anchor

use mods for Civ 5. thats what im doing. :P

--

Yes my spelling is horibble get over it!

Im never really mean, just a little stupid :P .

Jul 11 2011 Anchor

Add me if you got shogun! Btw what mods do you use?

Edited by: IFork

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.