A total-conversion fan-sequel for Battlezone II: Combat Commander with high definition graphics, new physics and tonnes of new and unprecedented features. This is my personal attempt to create a 'Battlezone 3' worthy game. I have blended many of my favourite elements from BZ1 and BZ2, plus introduced a number of my own.
- Nearly 4 hours of dialogue. There are a fair few audio-matic cut-scenes which explain the story. They may mostly be skipped.
- A lengthy, STORY DRIVEN single player campaign. There is less emphasis on Base VS Base combat and more on story and character development. I know that people get sick of RTS campaigns quickly if they are repetitive. I certainly do. My goal has been to AVOID a 'glorified IA' campaign where you simply have to destroy the enemy base each mission. That doesn't happen often.
- Three brand new, fully fledged playable races, plus other NPC only races.
- High Quality 3D models and Environments, far in excess of the original limitations and scope of the BZ2 engine.
- A Deep, Intriguing and Engaging storyline.
- Some explanations to some of the darkest secrets of the Battlezone universe.
- This mod is a total-conversion, so effectively a BRAND NEW game!! No visible content from the original game or any other mod (not even QF Mod) is included.
- Fully UV-Mapped and highly textured models (unlike the original QF Mod).
- All new Sound Effects.
- All new Music.
- All new Models.
- All new Voiceovers.
- All new Everything!!
With this mod, I have done my best to create a game that could at the very least imitate a possible Battlezone 3.
There are imperfections and glitches which are yet to be ironed out. There will be patches released in the future to fix as many bugs as possible.
There may also be a large second release which adds multi-player and instant-action capabilities.
This mod is best played on high resolutions. Anything lower than 1680x1050 may cause issues. It was designed for HD resolutions - specifically 1920x1080 Full HD. For the best playing experience, I would recommend using this resolution or higher.
A high-capacity gaming computer would be the best choice for playing this mod. It uses graphical enhancements which are along the lines of far more modern games than BZ2 original. High-resolution textures, high-poly models and bloom effect (from ENBSeries, an external addon program which I have included with this mod).
I would not recommend using low screen resolutions when playing. The experience of HD graphics in a Battlezone game is effectively unique to this mod. It is not like any other Battlezone mod in existence so far. It has been developed with HD graphics since its conception. The entire purpose was to bring Battlezone into the 21st century. As such, using a decent 21st century gaming system is a must.
Several key issues which I should mention include:
- Music volume is currently locked to 95%. This is the only way to allow it to automatically reduce volume while in-game voiceovers are playing, otherwise you could not hear the voiceovers over the music. This may irritate some people. I may try to patch this at a later date if it is too unbearable.
- There is an issue with the introduction video where 1/3rd of the screen on the right-side is blacked out. This appears to be an internal issue to BZ2, as playing the same .bik file in the native BINK viewer program does not have this issue.
- Mission de-brief files are not showing up. I will try to fix this for the first patch.
- Sometimes the game will crash without warning or explanation. This may have something to do with an audio-glitch involving the music. It is not easily re-produced, so is difficult to fix. I recommend that you save your game reasonably often, just in case it does crash. It is not a common crash, but it does happen at some random times. This may be a problem only on my end.
- Sometimes a mission will crash when you attempt to load it the first time, but load fine on the second attempt.
- At the end of mission 10, you will need to find Major Gibson and drive near his Pariah tank in order to allow the mission to finish. I will correct this in the first patch.
- Mission 2 may be a little too difficult for less skilled players. My advice is to not stop shooting drones. The more you kill, the less damage you will receive overall.
- There may be more bugs, as it seems that there are some which do not appear on my system but may appear on others. As I have stated at times, this is a highly experimental mod. It can be temperamental at times. It was conceived, designed, made and tested by only one person with almost zero outside assistance (bar voiceovers). There will be problems. The game is playable, but it is not perfect yet. Every mission can be won. That isn't an issue.
Despite the imperfections, I have put a huge amount of effort into this mod. It's been my pride and joy for a number of years. So, basically, enjoy! It's been an absolute blast making this mod, and I couldn't have better spent my last couple of years.
Thankyou, and good luck! - Michael Boag (bigbadbogie)