With that out of the way, Hello Again! Time for another update. This time focusing on our Heads-Up-Display. Most if not all of the HUD and GUI elements have drastically changed and improved since our early days. Here today we are going to show you what the lovely programmers and the graphics departments have been up to as of late!
This is the first screen you come to when you've entered a GE:S server. All laid out are the conditions of the game. In the first example there is no team play in place and the game-mode as you can see is Man With the Golden Gun.
In this second example the Team Menu does have team play enabled and as you see it is showing you in a simple manner which to choose from. The buttons on the left are your two pushable options. If you want to get straight in the action choose JOIN, if you want to wait for a round to end or just watch for a while you head for the spectator button, additionally you notice it tells you how many spectators there are currently. From this screenshot, it is also easy to see which conditions are enabled by the server and distinguished by GREEN\RED or ON\OFF. They can function in many different combinations that greatly change the way the game plays, server diversity is something we are greatly encouraging!
Character Selection Menu
In this example of the MI6 character selection screen, you can see we are on the Bond character in the scroll. Bond has multiple "skins" or outfits, if you will. Three to be exact, so far, which will give a greater range to the server diversity. The scroll arrows work very smoothly, and you can choose to hover it for slow scrolling or clicking, which causes it to shift to the next cue of three character images at a time.
In the second example we have the Janus character select and Baron Samedi is the highlighted feature. It is our eventual plan to have multiple skins\outfits for most characters, as like the Bond character. One thing we must note, on non-team play conditions ALL of the characters pile together into one selection menu. Also in BETA 3, you cannot stray with team play enabled, from the restrictions in place for character selection. So if you want to select Bond for instance during a team play environment, you must select "MI6" to be that character, you cannot be on Janus and play as Bond or any other M16 character or vise versa.
Many of our general HUD art, which you see during normal game-play has been fully reworked as well including the improvements to the:
- Blood Screen - Which is our animation overlay that shows when you die. We've always talked about improving the way we handle thit feature of the original, and this is step one, ready for BETA 3.
- Weapon and Ammo indicators - These are quality and practical, each time you pick up a weapon you don't have in your inventory, one of these pops up to the right of your screen. It's now easy to track if you have a weapon this way when you run over ammo/weapon spawns.
- Weapon Selection menu - You may remember our previous intrusive selection menu. This new menu blends with our HUD scheme much better.
New Additions such as:
- Radar - We now have the radar implemented and fully functional, located at the bottom center of the screen. More details below.
- Man with the Golden Gun icon - On the radar in this game-mode will show you the player who holds the Golden Gun currently, or where it has dropped. There is also a text display on your lower left HUD that tells the global server when someone drops the Golden Gun
- Round Timer - Since BETA 3 is favoring round-based game play, that is having multiple rounds start and finish per map, the round timer can play a very crucial part. It is a constant reminder of how long you have to claw your way back, or pull ahead of the pack. From 30 seconds until zero it flashes two color variations, the RED alert flashing begins at 10.
- Scoreboard - This fits in with the health/armor bars and holds basic condition info on it as well as the scores themselves. See how the round timer below the scoreboard is different from the "map time" which is held on the scoreboard, this is showing the round-based element. Make note to the the newly made 'X' death icons that show who is dead, which is very handy in the You Only Live Twice game mode.
Note: These screenshots are photoshopped, and do not indicated any sort of split screen multiplayer.
Radar Further Explained:
Basically, the WHITE dots are your teammates [if enabled], and the GREEN dots are enemies. The way the teammates in this screen above are shown, are to alert you when people are above/below you in a vertical sense. So likely in this map, Control, the teammates were on the 2nd or 3rd tier of the main control room.
An addition we've added is our 'Anti-Camping' feature. When players remain still for a short period of time, the color will turn from GREEN to ORANGE then to RED on the fly, on the radar. No more easy camping in GoldenEye: Source, while radar is enabled.
They are back and look amazing, with their own icon and formatted to fit the report screen, shown above. The maximum amount of awards given per round is six. Awards are only given to the MOST DESERVING players, this is calculated based on a sophisticated stat tracking and ratio system we've implemented into GoldenEye: Source
The implementation of these have been such a great addition to replay and fun value of GolenEye: Source. The community who helped develop some of the icons, those individuals will be given official credit when BETA 3 ships. Big Thank you to all of you! Here is a teaser shot of achievements in action!
One last thing.......
GoldenEye: Source BETA 3, coming FEBUARY 2009!
Team GoldenEye: Source