About Europa Barbarorum 2 with
by tux_alin on Sep 14th, 2014
Dear Europa Barbarorum Fans,
Our initial release was a moderate success, but several people have had big problems getting the mod to run, with permission denied messages, weird texts showing up in game, non-Steam multiplayer not working and more. We hope that this new release will make this better for most or all of you, so if you didn't get 2.0 working on your computer, this release could be what you need! There are a lot of other important changes as well, including an updated campaign AI which many of you have already plugged into 2.0 and found to be better, and a fix for an unavoidable crash on turn 302.
THIS RELEASE IS NOT SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE. None of them will be.
1. Download the EBII installer using one of the provided download links.
2. Uninstall the previous version of EBII (there's a shortcut for it in your start menu).
3. The downloaded file is a zip archive, which means you need to unpack the installer files from the zip file. Windows Explorer should allow you to simply copy the contents out. If not, you can download 7-zip for the purpose.
4. Run EBII.exe.
5. Step through the install wizard.
6. Wait for the installer to copy all the files.
7. If you have never run M2TW vanilla after installing it, run that now. Start a campaign, then quit.
8. Run the mod using the shortcut placed in your start menu or desktop.
In the wizard, the default installation path is where your copy of M2TW is installed. Unless you know what you're doing, leave this unchanged.
As with the initial release, the game runs pretty well for the team members, but you may encounter problems, possibly even at the start of your campaign.
If the game crashes, please remember to post the log and savegame where it happened in the tech help subforum, this will help us a lot. Along with a description of what you were doing when it crashed, obviously. But before you do that, remember to check if there are any hotfixes available - it might just be that your problem has been solved already.
Visit the EB website
Download from ModDB
Download using torrent (requires torrent client)
Download from the Org FTP server
Download from the EB FTP server
More download options will come later. Torrent is the best way to download it anyway, so this delay is your chance to get this up and running on your computer. Please consider seeding for at least the next couple of days.
The Graphic enhancement mod and modesty patch remain unchanged since 2.0.
Download EB2 Graphic Enhancer
Download Modesty patch
The campaign AI is still undergoing changes. Before starting a new campaign, take a look to see if there is an updated version:
- Changed the way the game starts on non-Steam installs, it no longer overwrites the configuration file.
- Added text files to avoid the common strings issues.
- Updated to use GRANTO's campaign AI v2
- Unavoidable crash in turn 302 fixed (KH was missing a historic event description).
- Adjustment of battle speeds.
- Fix for Saka Silver Surfer general & captain
- Fixed Hayasdan reform script error
- Added/Fixed pix for 5 provinces
- Fixed several Wonders/Specials (Barb & Indian) to include adding pix and fixing text
- Added additional portraits for Indian civilians
- Fixed Mauryan independence affecting AI
- Added/removed "mixed" HR to allow camp conversions (northern Iberia) and prevent them (interior of North Africa and Baltic regions)
- Reduced the effect of corruption. It is still a noticeable drain for very large factions, but most cities should now produce a surplus after upgrading law (but maybe not in practice, with the garrisons required to hold them).
- Revised map to fix bug (eliminates two landbridges) and move Korinth to maintain troop access between Athens/Sparte
- Fixed a number of "medievalisms" and typos in the main menu screens.
- Add CTD warnings to the two Tutorial campaigns
- Added pix for Province #106 (Pontos Paralios)
- Added Hellenistic Metropolis to Syrakousai
- Inserted text on use of images in EB2 (section XI)
- Overhauled the religion-based portraits in cul_4, cul_5, and cul_7 to eliminate both known and potential problems (retained the unique looks for each culture and religion)
- Updated traits and command stars for the Boii general in an attempt to increase difficulty (Battle of Sentinum).
- Changed command stars for the generals in hopes of raising the difficulty (Battle of Sentinum).
- Fixed the Phrygia-Kappadokia-Kilikia borders. Presence of PSF prevents a better appearance to the borders, but continuity between Seleukid provinces now exists.
- Disabled cutscenes for gate opening, general dying etc.
- Added missing music pieces from TPC. Not integrated yet.
- Grammar in some temple descriptions
- Cleaned up the Roman gentilical trait descriptions...
- Fixed the Getic archer with the over-high attack. In the hope it doesn't get overwritten again.
- Religion tweaks for settled Arab provinces
- Making the Sabaean General and Nobles the same armourwise, as they share models
- Unique buildings hinterland fix
- Added an alpha channel on the military occupation icons for Gandhara, Hayasdan, Pontos, Numidia.
- Increased the defense of the Sabaean nobles
- Various typos reported by Auxor
- Reduced the max number of samnites spearmen from 21 to the usual 2 on the oligtwo government.
- Removed a couple of Romani spelling errors.
- Lowered the velocities of the javelins, pila, and soliferra.
- Only Numidians and Nabataeans recieve religion boni from nomadic farms
- Fixed Persepolis Wonder bug (in two cities), fixed two Pergamon temple probs (Dionysios text in Athena, no Farming Temple text)
- Fixed issue with having HA recruitable in South Arabia. -Moros
- Removed the mention of cannons for naval bonus.
- Fixed all the short javelin ranges found for infantry
- Removed all mentions of Casse in visible building text
- Swapped the skill traits for the starting KH diplomat and spy, they were switched around.
- Corrected a site => sight.
- Changes to unit stats related to stat_heat, as well as fatigue and morale tweaks
- Fixed alignment issue with loading screen
- Battle of Gaza added
- Improvement of missile troops to make them more reliably fire their weapons
- Changes to cavalry stats
- Added portraits for the cul_4, cul_5, and cul_7 Rebels (all were showing up as Greeks)
- Arrow towers now work in siege battles
- Deleted duplicate text in the Makedonian faction description.
- Small pontos reform fix
- Added/Fixed pix for 2 provinces and a Wonder.
- Fixed the spear attribute
- Fixed wrong filename for one file reference in descr_skeleton
- KH diplomats are now available in the most governments
- KH congress building can now be built
- KH congress messages will no longer show up for other factions
Files listed as changed in version control cannot be included on TWC because the post then becomes larger than the forum accepts. Please refer to the Org announcement for the full list.
Special thanks to not_a_strategist_yet, for his work on fixing the javelins.
The Europa Barbarorum Team