Forum Thread
Divinity 2 Concept Art Contest WIPs (Forums : Contests & Jams : Divinity 2 Concept Art Contest WIPs) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5
INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Jan 11 2010 Anchor

As part of the contest rules, you are required to post works-in-progress of your entries in this thread. Good luck to all who enter and don't forget to send in your final entries via email.

Jan 13 2010 Anchor

Awesome! Time to get to work :)

Jan 13 2010 Anchor

sounds like fun, looking forward to seeing all of the entries.

Jan 13 2010 Anchor

I'm interested. Looked at the site a bit for info, I'll I found was the same as in the contest description - Lord of Chaos = Demon burst forth from the Earth, Damned Hordes=Evil Humans.
Anyone find anymore info than this? Also will the winning submission be used for anything or is this just a promotional event?

Jan 13 2010 Anchor

I read all three pages of the story and from what I gathered the Lord of Chaos and the Damned Hordes are all demons that look just like humans, but I'm guessing they have dragons too? :/

Jan 14 2010 Anchor

so Lord of Chaos and the Damned Hordes. this is gonna be awesome, cant wait to see all the entries either. time to pass out and start early tomorrow! cheers :beer:

--

Tamed with confidence of a brighter future.

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Jan 14 2010 Anchor

Resin213 wrote: I'm interested. Looked at the site a bit for info, I'll I found was the same as in the contest description - Lord of Chaos = Demon burst forth from the Earth, Damned Hordes=Evil Humans. Anyone find anymore info than this? Also will the winning submission be used for anything or is this just a promotional event?

Don't worry about interpreting the theme verbatim, as long as you stick to "bad guy" type designs that would fit in this video, you are fine. We are not going to penalize great artwork unless you design pokemon character or something obviously out of place.

At the end of the comp your artwork will be showcased (with attribution of course). We reserve the right to use your art, but should the Divinity 2 team want to use it or anyone else, we will always contact you first to discuss.

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

zombieOnion
zombieOnion Non-Player Character
Jan 14 2010 Anchor

Well, I am interested. These contests are always fun :D

--

Jan 14 2010 Anchor

Awesome. Thanks INtense.

What I have begining:

...and yeah, I spilled some coffee on it. I guess eventually I'll scan it and photoshop it to deal with that.
I used Earnst Haeckels etchings of vampire bats as a reference, with some major modifications obviously. For the horde I wanted them to look like normal humans with some burl wood masks (carved from a desacrated sacred groove!)

Edited by: Resin213

Jan 14 2010 Anchor

Resin213 wrote: Awesome. Thanks INtense.

What I have begining:
...and yeah, I spilled some coffee on it. I guess eventually I'll scan it and photoshop it to deal with that.
I used Earnst Haeckels etchings of vampire bats as a reference, with some major modifications obviously. For the horde I wanted them to look like normal humans with some burl wood masks (carved from a desacrated sacred groove!)

Lookin really sweet resin!

Jan 15 2010 Anchor

This is a cool challenge! I hope many will give it a shot :D

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Jan 16 2010 Anchor

Yes indeed, it is quiet so far so it might be an easy win for those who compete thou!

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

Jan 16 2010 Anchor

INtense! wrote: Yes indeed, it is quiet so far so it might be an easy win for those who compete thou!

I'm definitely in, just need to finish up some work then I'm going for broke!

Good luck to everyone! Lets see some more entries!!!

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jan 16 2010 Anchor

I started sketching today, but my "boss" is rather small, so I gave him a ride for his short legs :). I'll probably have to think about making him bossier...in any case he would make a nice henchman in my evil army.

User Posted Image

Firefox: Right-click on the image and select "show image" to see it a bit larger.

Edited by: SinKing

Jan 17 2010 Anchor

I made some rough sketches on this topic today. Hopefully i will finish something until deadline :)

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Jan 17 2010 Anchor

Good luck everyone :) tis a nice topic!

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jan 18 2010 Anchor

SO that's my current WIP for the boss. I'm thinking I should add some flame coming up from the ground and work on the contrasts. The little guy is the dragon's "flame". As long as it's alive the dragon is invincible. They are accompanied by a horde of dragon riders on their horses, as pictured above. Now I need to re-scale my canvas, flesh out the detail and bring in the riders for the final image.

User Posted Image

Redrawn - new sketch-series

User Posted Image

And I thought - if I have a Dragonhorse, I need a horsesmith. So I made this smith to accompany the rider as an evil henchman.
User Posted Image

Made a collage out of the three:
User Posted Image

Edited by: SinKing

Jan 19 2010 Anchor

I seriously want to get started on this but I'm over-booked! The entries look great so far guys!

Jan 19 2010 Anchor

yeah, these are looking good, lots of interesting designs so far.

@ sinking: I like your latest sketch of the dragon, the "worms eye" perspective makes him look much more intimidating.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jan 19 2010 Anchor

I made a new one with space for the riding hordes of hell. Under the left wing is space for the evil army.
I'll probably redo the sea of flame too, as I only learned how to make fire look good when I reached the right side.

User Posted Image

--

User Posted Image

Jan 19 2010 Anchor

Was quite unsure on where to take this as the brief was kind of vague... So my Lord of chaos is still nothing but thumbs! How many horde varients would be wanted? Or can we design one generic looking one?

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

Jan 19 2010 Anchor

I like all those silhoette shapes. I might try using that type of workflow in the future.
I paticularly like the antlers and tentacle feet one in the corner. Your more rendered picture is pretty awesome too.

Jan 20 2010 Anchor

Someone wrote: Jackwhat: ...How many horde varients would be wanted? Or can we design one generic looking one?...

Im curious on that point as well.

Looks like some good brainstorms here, nice to see its beginning to take off. I as well have little time and lots of work so I havnt started yet >.< . These are looking promising. The description was a bit vague, but the 2 points that stuck out to me were - incarnation of evil and human semblance. Keep up the good work everyone.

--

Tamed with confidence of a brighter future.

Jan 20 2010 Anchor

cant make it to the dead line sorry = ( .. post is edited.

Edited by: reckon

Jan 20 2010 Anchor

If I wouldn't be overloaded with work right now I'd give this a try. Maybe a quick and dirty try at the end of the deadline =P

Cool works so far, keep it up and good luck

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.