Forum Thread
by member
Divinity 2 Concept Art Contest WIPs (Forums : Contests : Divinity 2 Concept Art Contest WIPs) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5
Jan 26 2010, 6:34am Anchor

Just an update on Thumb.4

The image was focusing mainly on the dragon to be honest, so I blurred him out and can see the guy first I think. went a bit overkill with the blur and stuff heh

User Posted Image

Jan 26 2010, 9:55am Anchor

nice work man, your thumbs could be considered finished pieces. keep em comin!

--

Tamed with confidence of a brighter future.

Jan 26 2010, 5:07pm Anchor

well, here is an early version of my submission. First image is a battle scene -- Lone survivor desperately trying to hold off a horde of attacking mutants.
Second image is a sketch of a demon soldier.

cfel
cfel Concept Artist
Jan 26 2010, 5:57pm Anchor

im in with first feel, fire is might be a yes, but right now not sure if that should be final - maybe going for purple flames. will see

User Posted Image

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Jan 26 2010, 7:05pm Anchor

lol christian u joinin aswell eh :P nice to see some new art !

Jan 26 2010, 8:39pm Anchor

Christian, good to have you onboard :)

Jan 27 2010, 9:33am Anchor

heres another wip. idk where the fish/demon head idea came from .. but i wanted something different than just a horned helmet. cheers.

--

Jan 27 2010, 12:28pm Anchor

Lot's of great new entries! Contest is heating up :)

Jan 27 2010, 2:49pm Anchor

Okey, finally I broke through to some reasonable idea. My first WIP. Although, I think about changing the sword, simple katana is not very much suiting Divinity athmosphere.
User Posted Image

Jan 28 2010, 9:44am Anchor

Hello guys,
I really love the demonic subject. Never really attempted painting pure evil creature, so I thought I would give a try. For sure it is not final composition, but it is a part of looking for ideas. What do you think? (Lord overlooking his army)

Jan 28 2010, 10:33am Anchor

looks pretty awesome, i always enjoy seeing the preliminary blocked in shapes, considering its something i have no patience for.. i especially like the demon in the foreground.

well here is an update on the 2nd wip. i decided on another helm. cheers

--

Jan 28 2010, 11:25am Anchor

nice rendering man, looking good.

Jan 28 2010, 11:35am Anchor

That tassle is awesome, blood stain too. I'm interested in how you render your chain mail, do you have a certain brush set up for that, or a couple? I'm somewhat of a noob w when it comes to photoshop. I like this helmet better. Imo flipping the direction of the axe will give you a more natural looking pose.

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Jan 28 2010, 11:40am Anchor

One week to go guys and I haven't yet received a single entry!

Looks like there are quite a few brilliant pieces coming though.

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

Jan 28 2010, 11:45am Anchor

thx a lot , the chain is a custom brush i found by Daarken, he explains how to make it, paint it out, then highlight accordingly :) saves tons of time, the axe im still playing around with to.

--

Jan 28 2010, 1:25pm Anchor

ah, cool, thanks. He has quite a lot of tutorials there.

Jan 28 2010, 4:17pm Anchor

A demon mount, maybe a mutilated fallen dragon? chopped off wings in order to mount and control. Anyways glad to join the competition.

WIP1-body mass

eh another concept, necromancer messed with some body parts i guess...

Jan 29 2010, 1:39pm Anchor

I definetely wanted some more dramatic angle and more action than in previous post, so I have started to work on completely new painting, used many custom brushes, and building form out of them. Good works so far people! Some creative ideas I can see! Nice sharp edges, wrowland.

Edited by: artozi

Jan 29 2010, 8:22pm Anchor

A lot of good looking entries so far. I like the change of scene artozi.
Some more progress.

Jan 29 2010, 9:26pm Anchor

A challenger has appeared!
User Posted ImageUser Posted Image

Jan 30 2010, 10:58am Anchor

Those last couple look pretty sweet; I will have to give this a shot. >,< not a lot of time 5 days but I will try and do my best.

Jan 30 2010, 2:08pm Anchor

ahh you guys are nailing down some good concepts :) keep at 'em

heres another messy design. I wanna get the right design before I start with the whole picture

User Posted Image

Edited by: Mohzart

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Jan 30 2010, 2:26pm Anchor

i really like that moh!
artozi: lookin forward to a more rendered one :) ur sketches look nice

Jan 30 2010, 11:05pm Anchor

Nice work going on, guys!

ycake: nice shape blocking! I like to approach thumbnails this way also. You may try next time to add variety in value of materials, like skin colour value, or some details in costume. You can build composition out of material colour also, not only placement of an object. Just a little humble thought:)

ezekiel: this is going to be a nice concept piece! I like the perspective very much:) I wonder how you will solve the lighting.

mohzart: You sketches are sweet! You've got crazy head:) I wish you shared with as some story ideas for this. I am always amazed by people choices in character design.

Am I the only one to have demonic dreams after brainstorming for this contest?

Jan 31 2010, 9:55am Anchor
artozi wrote:mohzart: You sketches are sweet! You've got crazy head:) I wish you shared with as some story ideas for this. I am always amazed by people choices in character design.

Haha. Well, I should've put some of my thoughts down. Sorry for being secretive ;)
For these sketches I've done, I'm listening to The Demon God tracks on Princess Mononoke OST. It really helps bring out the superiority in the Lords im creating.
Can imagine a scene where he walks to battle with his underlings and dragons. Creates a great hell-ish atmosphere in my head.
Thats the starting point :P
But the design comes freely I guess, being inspired from past animes, movies, games I've seen and it automatically transfers to my drawing.
I wanted him to look very intelligent and very superior to his kind. So I made him look quite religious, like a demon-pope or something :P By adding all the demonic crosses, the long cape and other cloth, the badges, the head-piece, which could be like a crown of some sort with precious gemstones on them or diamonds, and mainly the cross-rope in his hand. Maybe could look like beads that priests have. I didnt want him to show any weapons since hes THE leader and will be commanding more than fighting. But who knows, he might have some powerful weapons hidden underneath all his attire ;)

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.