Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!

Forum Thread
Misery 2.0 feedback - let's talk what's okay and what's not (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : MISERY : Forum : General subjects : Misery 2.0 feedback - let's talk what's okay and what's not) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Jul 31 2013 Anchor

Apart from constant crashes.
Apart from the installation mess with textures.

I like what's been done. I do not find the game too hard, even starting via the Black Road. I actually spent over an hour without any weapon following some 4 stalkers and picking up/skinning whatever they killed, got this way over 30k RU pretty much right there at the start (that's a brand new AKM with a scope, for example). This means money in this game is not a problem. Some scavenging mixed with some mutant hunting (and then 'processing') = enough money.

I also like the variety of items, weapons, nature, weather, in short the whole game. Three are, nonetheless, several elements which are illogical and hence become annoying nuisances. I repeat, this is not about difficulty, but rather about reasonability and logic.

Firstly, there is almost no ammo on dead bodies + very expensive ammo at traders. Not sure if any of you shoot (as a sport), but this is a real world fact: ammo is very cheap, especially if its lower quality. I believe it would make much more sense if especially Russian ammo was much easier to find and cheaper to buy (I could imagine zone traders selling 7.62x39 or 5.56x39 by a bucket for a bottle of quality vodka). Hence, suggestion number 1: make regular Russian ammo fairly available. This would make sense especially as enemies unload hundreds of bullets at me but when killed carry... NONE. This is just silly. I do not mean the player should drown in ammo. I mean it should be reasonably popular, so to say.

Secondly, another real life fact: bread is very cheap to bake and pretty much anybody can do it. I see no logical reason why bread is so rare and expensive. At Skadovsk there surely would be a small baker selling their stuff en masse and fairly cheap. Suggestion number 2: make bread cheaper and easier available. You can always reduce its nutritious value to balance wider availability.

That's all at my end (for now). The rest is just fine. Thanks for the grand development team efforts.

Edited by: RedBullJunkie

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

Most definitely. I have to kill a damn bloodsucker for 15 bullets.

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

The stamina system makes me more frustrated than anything else in the mod right now. You would think that a guy would be able to WALK around with the weight way below the limit and not get exhausted after 20-30 meters. It was the same in the first Misery and it got changed in a patch. I hope it will be the same way now.

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

Some ammo is incorectly named, and some guns use the wrong ammo (despite their correct ammo being in the game, in some cases)

IE: Mosin uses 7.62x39mm despite the fact that IRL it uses 7.62x54r and 7.62x54r IS ingame, infact the Mosin in 1.2 used 7.62x54r - similarly, the Mosin got nerfed damage wise pretty badly. (Though the nerf makes sense, considering the weapon was given weaker ammo - but WHY was it given weaker ammo?)
7.62x57 Mauser should be 7.92x57mm Mauser

As mentioned, Stamina is broken. It's similar to Misery 1.0, I can't walk without losing stamina despite being 5kg under my max carry weight of 42kg.

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

real world fact: ammo is very cheap
bread is very cheap to bake and pretty much anybody can do it

Yes, but we're in The Zone. It's not even comparable to a warzone - it's more like a post apocalyptic setting where normal commodities such as ammunition and bread aren't produced. Assume that the ingredients for bread are difficult to come by.

Most definitely. I have to kill a damn bloodsucker for 15 bullets.
That's actually a good way to look at this mod. How many bullets does it take to kill a boar. How much money will you get for those boar parts? Will that cover the cost of replacing those bullets? Maybe using them on a boar isn't so smart? And so, when you're forced to kill a boar, not only are you using up valuable ammo, but you are also using up money which is more important this time around.

The stamina system makes me more frustrated than anything else in the mod right now
I admit the stamina system can be annoying, but it's there so that things like food and sleep actually have a purpose. It's also there so that players more carefully take control on their inventory system. No longer can you run across the whole map with 20 guns in your pack. You need to know where you're going, how to get there, what's along the way, items you'll need along the way, what you'll need when you get there, etc If you can afford it, maybe setting up some nearby stashes will help so you don't have to carry everything at once.

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

The first thing i noticed w/ my game, is the helmet was blocking my view, i took it off and maxed brightness in-game. My flashlight didn't work, i press the button, and it blinks, i have to rapid it tap it in order to see. Half of the inventory items would not display in my inventory menu, i got details and no icon. lots of textures refuse to load properly as well, trees, and zombies. is there a patch, or did i fuck up?

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

Even when carrying only 2 guns and 90 bullets being at 25 kilos/43 i can't walk for a very long distance. If it really is going to stay like that then every time i leave Skadovsk and go to let's say the swamp it will take me an entire day to finish that trip because i have to stop every 30 meters because Dicktayrev left his lungs at home and has stamina of a 70 year old male with lung cancer.

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

Glad to see I'm not the only person having problems. I had this horrible trek all the way across the starting area back to Skadovsk, throwing away broken pistols and rifles as I went, bleeding out, drunk and getting harassed by animals.

This mod looks like a real labour of love so thanks to the authors for spending so much time. It's extremely frustrating right now because of some of the aforementioned problems, however. I'm sure late-game things will improve, but right now I'm spending almost all my quest reward money on...two clips of ammunition and a loaf of bread? I spent all day crawling around gassed as an assault trooper and I'm now out of ammo for my assault rifle and the store doesn't sell any more. I expended one clip fighting the two bloodsuckers that spawn after you gas their lair, which was a nightmare to deal with because I was out of breath after about ten seconds so all I could do was plunk myself down and try to burst them down before they got to me and then the other clip fighting a gang of bandits who hit me from a 400-500 m distance with pistols. Otherwise I have my rifle on single shot, let other STALKERS do the work when I can, kill with pistol when I can, loot everything, I get how these games work. And I get that movies like "The Road" are a big inspiration, but I cannot take on the mercenary camp when I literally have to headshot each and everyone of them twice without missing. Creating such extreme scarcity can be interesting, but the problem is the way the base game is set up means this encourages cheese tactics, like following other STALKERS around or exploiting the AI pathing on the animals. There isn't an incentive right now to murder friendlies because they have no ammunition and their weapons suck. That and the crafting system is not explained in any manual, like all of these random materials like shovels or lubricant - how do we combine these things and use them to make repairs?

Also stealth is impossible, the AI stays too close together and is still psychic once you fire even a suppressed shot.

Edited by: falconpunc1375319585

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

falconpunc1375319585 wrote: Glad to see I'm not the only person having problems. I had this horrible trek all the way across the starting area back to Skadovsk, throwing away broken pistols and rifles as I went, bleeding out, drunk and getting harassed by animals.

I'm sure late-game things will improve, but right now I'm spending almost all my quest reward money on...two clips of ammunition and a loaf of bread?

Also stealth is impossible, the AI stays too close together and is still psychic once you fire even a suppressed shot.

1) Crawling around in the dirt all day for old bread? Welcome to Misery!

2) Stealth isn't even in the default game, and in this it mostly works. You can actually sneak into bases and take out people silently (you can easily clear the ranger station without the enemy firing off one round). The waste station is different because they are mercenaries - better guns, better armour, more experienced stalkers. That said, it's possible to take them down using default gear of the Assaulter. If you think it's impossible then you need more experience. Run away and come back another day.

I agree that the repair system is confusing. Buy a repair kit - read the descriptions so you know which one you need: the repair kit will show you compatible weapons and compatible items. If no weapons or items are showing up then you don't have anything compatible. This mod has far less issues than people are saying it does. You need to "learn" how to play before commenting on what you think is broken.

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

People wrote: People seriously being defensive towards feedback about the mod in the feedback thread

I have a bad feeling about this. A very bad feeling about this.

As from the feedback thread on Chan: "This is why closed beta-testing is a bad idea" .

In summation of what I think is wrong with the current release: The Zone couldn't exist as it's supposed to.

I beat Dark Souls on a SL1 run, but trying MISERY actually made me bitch about "artificial difficulty". It's to the point where it doesn't even make sense anymore.

It's going to get an unofficial difficulty re-balance which will be the recommended thing in the Stalker Generals threads over Vanilla MISERY, whether the play-testers thought it was too easy or not. Chan, aka THE fucking "FUCK OFF CASUAL" "GIT GUD" gamers, is already working on difficulty tweaks as I type this.

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

difficulty is perfect imo....

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

I want one thing that is it, I want to cook my food ingame and possibly can it as well if possible. I don't care how difficult the game itself is, though it does seem to be pretty crazy artificial.

Edited by: PaulaDeen

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

I really enjoyed my playthrough so far. The only actual problems I have had have been the repair kit and the batteries in the UPD (I think that's what it is called). Both of those I assume are personal errors due to me not knowing how to use it. The difficulty is nice, abeit a bit artificial.
The bandits always shoot on sight and I have been attacked by stalkers for no apparent reason while I was helping them fight boars (I assumed it might have been friendly fire which is so common in the original game).
The stashes are pretty awesome, and I assume that when I am happy to find a deck of cards they are well placed.
I do think that their should be a larger amount of ammo on dead bodies. That seems to be the worst thing for me.
I do dislike the extremely quick health generation along with the radiation degeneration.
The stamina system seems great to me, I am playing as recon and at the beginning (I chose Black Road) I could sprint almost forever, then when I started loading up on repair stuff and food I started having to stop running. That seems perfect to me, though sniper and assaulter may be different.
Ohh...and when I started out I was instakilled by the controller when it was in the dangerous cave and I was above it walking on the path.

I understand that there are a few (a ton of) bugs and I accept that. Even with them I still have had a playthrough much better than vanilla or MISERY 1.2

Edited by: qwerty2316

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

One complaint and one complaint only. NPC health. 2 shots to the head from a hand gun loaded with AP didn't drop someone in a overcoat. Other than this I've had NO issues at all with this mod but to me this health breaks the game for me.

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

Someone please tell me how to properly install this mod. I have the steam version and the in game textures are all out of whack.

Jul 31 2013 Anchor

Every Stalker having a 4-foot forcefield around them is so fucked up I can't even begin to understand it.

Aug 1 2013 Anchor

AoXo wrote:

falconpunc1375319585 wrote: Glad to see I'm not the only person having problems. I had this horrible trek all the way across the starting area back to Skadovsk, throwing away broken pistols and rifles as I went, bleeding out, drunk and getting harassed by animals.

I'm sure late-game things will improve, but right now I'm spending almost all my quest reward money on...two clips of ammunition and a loaf of bread?

1) Crawling around in the dirt all day for old bread? Welcome to Misery!

2) Stealth isn't even in the default game, and in this it mostly works. You can actually sneak into bases and take out people silently (you can easily clear the ranger station without the enemy firing off one round). The waste station is different because they are mercenaries - better guns, better armour, more experienced stalkers. That said, it's possible to take them down using default gear of the Assaulter. If you think it's impossible then you need more experience. Run away and come back another day.

I agree that the repair system is confusing. Buy a repair kit - read the descriptions so you know which one you need: the repair kit will show you compatible weapons and compatible items. If no weapons or items are showing up then you don't have anything compatible. This mod has far less issues than people are saying it does. You need to "learn" how to play before commenting on what you think is broken.

1) Okay, I'm usually pretty patient when it comes to survival RPGs but I do like progression. If the intention of this mod is to have you rolling with pretty much nothing the whole game, maybe its not for me.

2) Honestly maybe I just suck at stealth, but I put two silenced pistol bullets in a guys head from right behind him (if I can get that close without him spinning around, and yes I am crouching) and he yells as he falls somehow, his buddies come running downstairs and know exactly where I am in pitch black darkness and then we have a firefight.

Thank you for the tips on the repair kit, but what is the point of the crowbar and random junk that says "helps equipment maintenance" or whatever. Do I combine them to produce a repair kit? Do I just keep them in my inventory when I am making a repair, like charms in Diablo 2?

I think I could definitely deal with the lack of weaponry and money - it's the lack of ammo and stamina that are really frustrating. With the current stamina system I *WALK* everywhere. The game world is huge. I feel like I'm playing WoW again and trying to get from locale to locale with no mount, except there is no autorun feature and sometimes I come under fire and get sniped. What do you do when you get ambushed because your stamina is completely depleted because you are trying to carry a propane tank, a few stims, your weapons, ammo and nothing else?

I have also tried editing the actor.ltx file to lower the stamina drain, but my game is crashing now and I think that change is responsible.

Aug 1 2013 Anchor

Well, I take it you have your shooting experience in America. In other countries it is not so easy to get ammo, so it would not be so available or cheap. Even if I am wrong, there is another significant reason for extremely expensive ammo: you're in a cordoned off radioactive wasteland. There's not exactly a factory pumping out fresh rounds right in Pripyat, that stuff is getting smuggled in, and on foot too. The trader can easily overcharge as well, because what are you going to do? Go without? Good luck stalker, you'll make it three feet off the skadovsk without any firepower.

Aug 1 2013 Anchor

First version of the "Unofficial Bullshit Removing Patch" for MISERY is already up on Chan.

Not even 24 hours since MISERY 2.0 release? If you can motivate Channers to move that quickly, you've done something (or many things) seriously wrong.

Nerfed price disparity, damage disparity, and increased ammo spawns and box sizes.

Much "WTF" was had over the insane damage disparity between player and AI in particular.

Aug 1 2013 Anchor

What is Chan?

Aug 1 2013 Anchor

4 Chan I think...

But, Downloading now, I really hope they havnt removed a Realistic Inventory from the NPC's, if theirs one thing that really pisses me off is when you kill a guy who hasnt shot a bullet and he has fuck all ammo on him, or you get into a firefight with the guy, and he sprays ~100 Odd rounds, and still has no ammo on him...

If I can Run for 3/4's of a Kilometer wearing Full German Gear (Protection vest, Kevlar Helmet, Pouches full etc...) and I have pretty bad asthma, am unfit and not all that healthy them im sure a USS Operator can do MUCH better

Aug 1 2013 Anchor

falconpunc1375319585 wrote: What is Chan?

4chan. Specifically, you'll want to check the /vg/ board for the "Stalker general" thread.

Aug 1 2013 Anchor

falconpunc1375319585 wrote: What is Chan?

Could refer to other chans, but generally speaking a person is referring to 4chan with "chan" or "channers" as 4chan is the most active and diverse.

Very large and segregated communities. Specifically the "generals" community which maintains MASSIVE and perpetual threads on specific games with community made guides. 4chan itself is infamous, as are channers, but the video game generals "/vg/" community is very constructive and a fantastic place for resources, quick help, and guides on specific games. The STALKER community there was digging through the MISERY mod files and starting to assemble a patch within hours of release as well as documenting errors and discrepancies.

They are infamous for being elitist in a manner regarding difficult games, and it's very hilarious and alarming to see them actually consensing something is TOO artificially difficult. 99% of the time they see the issue is with the average gamer being too casual.

IMO it's actually important to keep track of feedback from an anonymous community rather than box up development in a closed beta, for reasons such as this mod. As such it's also alarming to me so many people are defending the mod against said feedback with bullshit. Curious as to how they'll try to defend the insane damage discrepancies though between player and AI.

Aug 1 2013 Anchor

Yeah I'm reading this thread and they seem pretty pissed. I'll be interested to see how long it takes people to beat the game with this mod and what kind of gear and strategies they end up using.

Aug 1 2013 Anchor

I love nearly everything they have managed to achieve with this mod. Putting aside stability issues and other things that are inevitable in a new release mod.

My major gripe is that from a game that touts realism that an enemy can take 3 head shots when only one will kill me. With the same helmet on no less.
That applies to Zombies too 3 shots in the face even with the smallest 9X18 round is too much.

Surely the team is aware how much trauma a single bullet in the face would do!!

I would prefer damage to be even both ways. Enemies take the same damage as I do in return.

Can someone please post a link for this "Chan" website? I curious to see what they have changed

Edited by: smellydrinks

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.