This excellent expansion/6-map pack is brought to us by the talented vIE888, who has graciously allowed me to adapt it to work with the epsilon packs...
Quake Epsilon is a graphically enhanced build of shareware Quake 1 for Windows/Linux/Mac, which can be upgraded to the full version of Quake along with it's mission packs Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity by copying the full-version .pak files into the correct folders.
It's made out of the Darkplaces engine and many mods from members of the Quake One forums and elsewhere (these are listed in the readme for each pack) as well as my own work. If it were not for these people, this build would not exist, so consider thanking the authors directly. These builds are legal and do not contain pirated content. Just simple unzip-and-play stuff.
There are four graphics modes, which you can switch between via a batch file ('High' is the default):
I don't want to clutter this summary, so more details and all credits can be found in the readme for each pack and on the homepage (http://www.xpfree.org/epsilon).
If running Linux and you get the following error: "error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory", try the following:
1) Download a compiled libjpeg package from 'packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libjpeg62'
2) Extract the libraries from the package into the game folder. I extracted the following files "libjpeg.so.62.0.0","libjpeg.so.62".
3) Change the launch bash script to the following:
4) Launch the game)
You could potentially also have a similar problem in Linux with the libpng package, if the game displays a warning "PNG_LoadImage: warning: Application built with libpng-1.4.0 but running with 1.5.13" and the wrong menu was shown. To fix this:
1) Download the source code of libpng 1.4.0 from 'sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/files/libpng14/older-releases/1.4.0/'
2) Extract it somewhere and in the terminal run "./configure && make"
3) Copy the directory content of ".libs" to the game folder.