This member has provided no bio about themself...
Got a few questions:
- is this version compatible with map mixer? I've been sticking with ~v0.4 for a long time since I get crashes using newer versions with map mixer.
- did the dodge key for keyboards indeed make it in this release?
Thanks again for all your awesome work on this!
Got a few other requests:
- Deadzone slider in the menu (crucial for getting the most out of your sticks)
- ThrowWeapon bind in the menu (should have been in the default game)
I'd also add that it'd be nice to have a button-based weapon picker solution, since analog sticks are finicky for this purpose. what I used to do (via scripts) is:
alt fire moved to right bumper
dodge on left bumper
left trigger was my custom "weapon alternator" bind
without holding left trigger, weapon binds were as follows:
X - rocket
Y - sniper
A - enforcer
B - link
while holding left trigger, the weapon binds became:
X - flak
Y - shock
A - bio
B - stinger
This seems hard to remember, but since I paired things in groups - explosives (X), rifles (Y), pistols (A) and rapid fire (B) - there's a pnuemonic device built-in and I found it very intuitive. If a graphical cue were added, where the corresponding weapon icons displayed over a diagram of the ABXY buttons, and toggled appropriately when the alternator button was held, I think it'd become very easy for others to learn quickly.
I am having the same problem. Just upgraded from version 3 and never had this issue before. I also tried with/without map mixer. I'm not playing campaign either, so I don't think "CMTest" is needed in the console (never was in v3 anyway)
Hey thanks for the update. I have a couple odd feature requests, could be implemented as optional rather than mandatory but here they are:
- dodge button for keyboard/mouse
(this way if all the controllers are being used, a player who has gotten used to the gamepad dodge doesn't have to relearn using double-taps)
- jumpboots activated on 3rd press of the jump key, instead of the 2nd
(this way you can still use regular doublejumps even with boots, and can't accidentally waste the boots)
I skipped the last update cause someone said it didn't work with MapMixer. Has this been fixed?
Keep up the awesome work!
Really love this mod, totally solves all of UT3's UI issues and adds a lot of functionality which should have been in the default game.
Quick question...I am experiencing a bug where randomly all bots in a match appear as a generic Iron Guard male instead of their proper skin/character. At first I thought it was something I mis-configured, but I've tried everything to solve it and haven't found a solution. Is this a known bug and is there a fix? Thanks.
I think the per-player profiles work great. I actually haven't tried to set a specific character/model for the 2nd player yet, is that possible yet? If not, it'd be nice, as would be aliases, but they don't really affect gameplay so it's not a big deal.
One thing I have noticed is I have an unusual set of binds for player 1 that foxmod is overwriting at the beginning of each match. It's not the end of the world, cause I made a keyboard bind to rewrite them that I can just slap at the beginning of each match, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to. I will post the binds when I can home from work if it'd be helpful to you for bugsquashing purposes.
Last thing, I keep forgetting to check, does foxmod have a deadzone slider already? That would be handy, cause one of my controllers is starting to drift the crosshair on its own.
Really diggin v0.4. Being able to save 2nd-4th player controls is a gigantic improvement. There is a minor learning curve to the way their controls are set in the UI, but after that it's really easy to manually set people up when they first start playing. I really ike the new implementation of the "splitscreen players" slider. It makes it really easy to drop my gf out when she breaks to shower/cook/whatever. The ability to disable auto-aim effectively adds at least 5-6 new difficulty levels to the bots; we had to dial it back to Adept to even stand a chance, which is GREAT, because thrashing the Godlike bots time after time had gotten boring.
All in all, despite the lack of conventional Xbox Live-style profiles, I'd say the experience is almost perfect, and it provides much-desired functionality which Epic should have been included out of the box in the first place.
I thought I'd mention Mapmixer: it's a really good companion piece to foxMod. It actually nullifies foxMod's chat menu glitch which causes the 2 minute pause between map changes by substituting a user-defined break period (I just set it to 1 second). Despite the fact that both mods make changes to the UI, they work together flawlessly, and abilities like saving map lists, making multi-gametype maplists, setting different player/bot counts for each map, and accessing the "players vs bots" option offline, are all really handy for the kind of couch gaming sessions that foxMod caters to.
Minor feature request: in the 360 port of UT3, the impact hammer was removed from the weapon up/down cycle so you could only access it via a bind or the picker wheel. It would be nice to have a toggle for this in foxMod, cause this is really tripping up one or two of my friends who started on console.
It would also be nice to toggle the appearance of the weapon picker wheel when using other weapon switching methods, though it's a nearly as big an issue as I made it out to be earlier.
There is some advice on multimonitor here (scroll way down):
I assume it will work the same w/ Foxmod, but I haven't tried it myself yet.
I just want to say, this mod looks extremely promising, and really seems to 'get' what Doom was originally all about, whilst updating it in a way that doesn't break it. I can't wait for the release!
Yes! Can't wait to try this after work!
Awesome, can't wait for the release!
Really looking forward to the local profile system! Also glad to hear the hammer bind getting dropped from defaults - my girlfriend dies from that constantly. Another one I'd suggest nixing - "autoswitch weapon on pickup" - turns weapon pickups into hazards which get you killed.
My one request would be to make the quickpick wheel optional. I think the whole point of the quickpick wheel is that it allows users to choose between a beginner and advanced method for switching weapons. Those of us who've assigned and memorized a direct bind for every weapon, or can consistently calculate the correct number of times to tap "weapon up" and "weapon down" to reach any weapon, would REALLY rather not have our view of combat be blocked by unnecessary information. My friends and I have played UT3 splitscreen since the [inferior] 360 port and never needed the quickpick wheel.
Keep up the good work!
Where would I find the value to adjust the max spread for the MG in variable spread mode? It seems none of the weapons actually have any spread using the variable spread except for the Chaingun and Shotgun. I'd like to make a mod in which the MG has a wider max spread but starts a tiny minimum spread and deals more damage.
Would be cool to add a semi-auto mode to the machinegun and an option to change the recoil, damage, and ammo capacity to reflect 5.56mm, 6.8mm, or 7.62x51mm. It may look like a P90, but a rifle-caliber weapon would add more to gameplay, allowing the player to deliver more damaging and accurate fire, but only at the cost of managing much heavier recoil.
Finally got to try v0.3. You REALLY nailed the aiming control on this one, I honestly don't think I've ever played any other game with analog stick control that was simultaneously so smooth, snappy, and responsive. Even with the sensitivity and quickturn set very high (~12 each), it doesn't feel jerky and innacurate like in other games, and you can still make fine, subtle adjustments to your aim. It *almost* feels like you're operating a mouse with your thumb.
I got a few questions comments:
1) Is it currently possible to bind the additional players' controls via a script? If so, how? In that case it would be relatively easy to have someone tap a keyboard key to rebind everyone at the start of each match. This would be a perfect workaround for the profiles issue.
2) There is a frequent bug where the menu/scoreboard gets stuck for ~2 minutes before transitioning to the next match. If you click A, B, primary fire, or attempt to click the "back" option on the menu, it triggers sound affects as if you are operating the menu, but the game continues to do nothing. This is by far the most annoying bug besides resetting the configs between matches.
3) Is there a way to deactivate gamepad autoaim? The aim control is so good that it's sort of unnecessary.
P.S.: Disregard my previous post.
Wait, so is there still some way to disable to gamepad autoaim?
Would it be possible to remove the mandatory binds from the default ini? Being unable to save changes to the player 2/3/4 profile would be acceptable if the default profile could be tweaked outside the game to ones' preferences. Back in v0.1 I tried to edit the default player ini to match my girlfriend's normal config. I was able to override some of the mandatory binds by removing all references to them from all the ini's, but somehow, a few, such as the weaponpicker, kept coming back and overwriting my settings every time I loaded UT3 no matter what.
Were it not for this factor, foxmodd would basically suit our purposes perfectly.
Love this mod, whoever designed the weapon balance REALLY understands the way weapons in an FPS are supposed to be. Everything from the combat rifle's single shot accuracy, to the chaingun's BRUTAL sound and firerate, is spot on.
If I could make a couple constructive suggestions:
- The chaingun tends to make prior weapons a bit obsolete once you get it. If it had a belt change every 100-200 rounds that took longer than the shotgun reload, it would balance things out perfectly (try one of the LMGs in RS Vegas terrorist hunt - the reload makes you seriously consider just taking a rifle unless you have a teammate to cover you)
- The combat rifle alt fire could use some more recoil during rapid fire, and you might want to increase the minimum refire delay. If you mash the trigger, it's possible to fire even faster than in automatic mode, without any accuracy penalty. Also, I understand the technical complications behind it, but it'd be nice if the headshot hitboxes were more reliable. I find myself hitting a lot of shots in the head that don't kill, or from higher angles the bullets pass right through due to a discrepency between the hitbox and the sprite. Anything that could be done to help that situation would be awesome.
- Single-barrel shotgun spread could be wider - i.e. more like the Quake 2 single barrel shottie. Right now it seems even tighter than in original Doom, and often puts 7-8 hits in a zombie at long range faster and more reliably than the combat rifle. I'm all for retaining the spirit of the original game, and avoiding the awful "broad side of a barn" exaggerated spread of modern games, but it'd a tad railgun-ish right now.
I hope these suggestions don't sound too critical, cause it's an awesome mod which does a lot of great things w/ doom which are long overdue. It's just that it's SO awesome that it makes you want the minor little imperfections fixed that much more.