VDC is incredibly useless!
We are, but at this exact moment we haven't written much of new lines. You can add me on Steam or Discord (Cvoxalury, #9681), I'll let you know as soon as we have anything substantial to record.
A'ight people, I'm not answering any more questions of 'will we see X in the mod'. X standing for whatever creatures or cut characters, weapons, an so on. You'll have to wait and see for yourself, and not ask for spoilers ahead of time. More fun this way. Keep guessing and speculating on various forums, we do read them.
We kinda have our own thing cooking here. Not to sound rude, but we don't actually have 'your suggestions' department. Fans love to fantasise about Consul, we don't, we're not replacing retail Breen, he's not a placeholder. There's no other model that looks better than him, and there's certainly no other written/voiced dialogue than that executed by Robert Culp. Hence, Breen is the one and only good option, and we're trying to build a good mod here.
We're keeping retail citizens (non-gasmasked) for the same reason Valve abandoned the gasmasks concept.
We're not switching to other leak models (white-shirted or green-shirted citizens) because they're either of worse quality, or they've been shown in every other mod, so that would be lame repetition. We would rather develop our own take but so far the retail models have good enough quality to not bother with replacing them.
We do not believe in any must-have demands, such as 'if you're making a beta mod, you must include this or that'. So far there haven't been one outside suggestion that would feel like a great idea to us, all they do is just make me write paragraphs explaining how we do not, repeat, do not need advisors and how we don't care for demanders.
(edit: I remember one exception now. TypicalRussianIvan asked if we'd include Gargantuas. We haven't thought of it, and it's a fun prospekt.)
Breen's not going anywhere. Retail citizens aren't going anywhere (but we may make additional models/types in the future, just like we have the workers). But sure, it'd be nice to have a proper animator and more people on the side of voice acting (hopefully we'll be working with RTSL towards the latter).
I've explained it to enough people who can't read or can't be bothered to. Go to hell.
Pay attention to the installation guide. You can find it in the release article.
Нет, не как выпадающие трупы (хотя это-то крайне легко устроить), а как настоящие враги, которых можно захедшотить в ответ, которые могут перемещаться между укрытиями.
Насчёт назойливых быстрых врагов - у нас ведь ещё есть и инопланетный убийца.
Спасибо за положительный отзыв!
Мы не хотим менять Брина на какую-либо другую модель. Во-первых, те "приличные модели" это рескины, и нам они не очень нравятся. Во-вторых, мы не собираемся заменять самого персонажа и его озвучку и диалоги, а внешность уже как-то вяжется по привычке.
Мы определенно изменим модель Аликс, но пока неясно, насколько. Зеленая куртка с гибким костюмом под ней - определенно один из вариантов, пожалуй, самый разумный. Даю почти 100%, что лицо останется то же, возможно с дополнительными элементами - защитными очками, снятым респиратором вокруг шеи и всем таким. До этого пока далеко, мы даже не обсуждали это.
Конечно, в сюжете она будет, мы включим тот рассказ-фрагмент Лейдлоу, про саботаж поезда. Но при этом самой Аликс будет немного, как в ХЛ2, уж точно не как в Эпизодах.
Насчёт женщин-ассасинов - забавно, мы как раз накануне обсуждали это и как их можно вписать. Я думаю что да, но мы почти наверняка изменим текстуру и подправим модель. Я хочу вооружить их снайперскими винтовками, как на концепте, и дать им роль юнита поддержки, снайпера на отдаленных позициях.
I don't think there will be enough space in the story/level sequence to put her in. In the first chapter of Part II you encounter the Hunter-Chopper. Then some synth boss-type enemies, and semi-bosses in the wasteland. Plus, Gonarch, in my opinion, is kinda boring, this typical phase-to-phase arena type of monster. We've seen it before.
The hyperbole made it hard to understand what was real issue to you and what in the video was supposed to be... funny? I guess the slowmo segments are a meme or something. I didn't catch the meaning of that.
There was a point made that "this mod introduces things and then drops them". You have to realise that this is supposed to be a part of the bigger narative. Who says you won't meet Odell again? Or the foreman character, Barney, et cetera. This is like if you played just Point Insertion chapter of HL2, and would proclaim "oh so this character didn't matter because they disappear", about Alyx for example. Dark Interval: Part I is the Point Insertion to the beta storyline.
There's setting things up and there's payoff. And then there are immediate things that are needed right now, to make a level work. Those levels, segments, concepts were cut because they didn't get the passing grade from Valve when they needed to be entertaining. I see that they're still not entertaining enough to some. Oh well.
We tried to make them work as best as we can, and according to hundreds of players, we succeeded. But we're not stopping, we're not taking a break, we will improve and we'll always be going back and adding to the previous parts.
This isn't Episode Three
You mean you didn't like the style of voice itself? I wanted them to sound less human. Then the mic threw in its garbage noisy layer so it also sounds as if it's coming out of a speaker rather than a living being.
I didn't like how the changed the vorts in Ep2 so they're way more human-sounding, so I went the opposite direction.
I think it would be absolutely swell to see the Gargantua roaming the Wasteland. I'd love to bring them back and I think it won't be too hard to do.
If you know someone who can record vortigaunts for us, please tell. Otherwise I had to rely on myself and my garbage mic!
You do not need HL2, nor the Episodes. All necessary content is provided within Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer, which is aquired for free (it's in the Tools section of your Library).
No, but feel free to use the original model from the leak.
Sounds very odd. As a temporary solution, open the developer console (press ~ key) and type in the following command
ent_fire klscn_suit2 start
It should initiate the next dialogue and let you proceed further.
I can't understand your question?
Not sure how it could've happened, since we definetely did update the file (the size is different, etc, so I didn't misclick), but you can always download the patch itself (the 200mb file) and apply it to the installed version.
That's strangely specific, but ok. Don't worry about him =)
Maybe because it's on its last legs, being stuck in a sewer for who knows how long. And it breks down completely after several minutes of use. You do have CC, apparently, so you should know.
Но ведь здесь нет озвучки из беты. Вся озвучка была нами записана с нуля, новыми людьми. Оделл, солдаты, Кляйне, Барни...
Thanks for that list! Actually, almost all of them have already been fixed, and the patch is on its way. Of those that haven't,
4) This is a kind of 'non-canon' scenario, you cannot progress further and you have to kill the 2nd soldier and get a special game over message. So, to say bluntly, it doesn't matter, because this isn't considered normal gameplay anyway?
5) (the CP thing) Yeah, I've been seeing it for years. No idea how to fix it. Probably unfixable, because in HL2 you don't normally get that scenario and Valve never made working chase animations for pistol/SMG.
8) There's a funny story associated with the 'teleporting' guy. In short, he's been born from a small glitch and we decided to keep him as a slightly creepy/surreal element. Who knows where else he can pop up...
1) In addition to what Shift said, I see no reason to -replace- the Striders. How do you replace a 4-storey tall tripod with a tall humanoid ground trooper, anyway?
2) Well it's ironic, because the model of the statue in the leak has the exact same face mesh as Breen. So, essentially, it is Breen. That's why I took the liberty and replaced that old model with the one made based on his retail mesh.
3) I wouldn't want to cram too many stuff in too little volume of a chapter. Think about it. Archers would be cool, but what about the water bullsquid? Seeing as there probably won't be any large masses of water (almost certainly less water than there is in retail's Water Hazard), I'd rather dedicate those pools and reservoirs to the bullsquids rather than Archers.
Flockers - in RtB there's a mention and a concept sketch for a similar enemy, I'd rather be making that one.
Stukabats are tricky. I'm not sure how they'd fit, except in some majorly redesigned way.
So what I'm saying is we have to balance it out and select the few most deserving specimens to populate those areas.
1) We do want to bring back the old red dropship, and redesign the gunship in the same vein. I'm not saying "we will" bring them back because I'm not 100% convinced we'll be able to produce all the assets, but we'll try our best.
2) 'Brutal Consul' is a myth. The Consul never had a developed persona attached to him, he was just a face on the screen. Then he became Breen and was retconned as the Administrator, which happened very early on, at least at the 'intro train ride through the wasteland' phase if not before that. Breen is the only properly developed, and the best version of that character, so we're staying with him. It's another question how we'll solve custom voiceover for him.
3) Cannot answer that at this time.
4) Same as 3.
5) YES. Yes and yes and again yes. I would very much like to expand on Xen fauna (and flora) and bring back a lot of the creatures from Raising the Bar. It would be far easier if we could find a good animator for the models, though. Make the Canals/Wasteland much more of a Xen-infested settingm, with not just enemies, but the entire environment affected? More never-before-seen creatures? Resurrect classic old monsters? Hell yeah.
Wait a bit until he finishes speaking. There's a trigger at the end of his dialogue that unlocks the door.
Полупрозрачные предметы сделаны для удобства. С ними удобнее, например, складывать пирамиды, если надо куда-то забраться, или закрываться от врагов, но всё равно видеть их, или идти с предметом в руках и видеть, куда идёшь. Собственно, в нормальных играх сейчас это повсеместно.
Полная прозрачность предметов - баг движка: полупрозрачность не работает правильно на моделях с прозрачными текстурами (такими как пластиковый ящик).
Thank you so much!
The dropship's model from the leak could be used with a couple fixes, this is likely they way we'll go with it. The old helicopter, I'd think it would be confusing to see a regular Earth military helicopter firing on you? Unless you happen to know & recognise it from the leak.
We actually made a sketch for a 100% custom gunship model, inspired by the red 'beetle' dropship, I'm looking forward to building it later.
Thanks for a detailed review!
One question though. When you say 'virtually no fights besides headcrabs and manhacks', what's the reason you're omitting 1) worker zombies 2) stalkers 3) synth scanners?
Also, really surprised you called my C17 maps 'huge'. Suprised in a good way - I'd only like to make them sprawl even farther, with more sub-locations, unfortunately not feasible on Source 1 (we were hitting various limits with most of the levels).