Forum Thread
kHED 1.0 Beta - a new low-poly modeling editor (Forums : 3D Modeling & Animating : kHED 1.0 Beta - a new low-poly modeling editor) Locked
Thread Options
Mar 10 2009 Anchor

Here you can see the basic kHED features:

• A simple, convenient and user-friendly interface, that is great for the beginers
  • A powerfull tool to create triangles and polygons, including polygons with holes.
  • A variety of tools for creating primitives: Plane, Box, Chamfer Box, Sphere/GeoSphere, Cylinder, Chamfer Cylinder, Tube and Torus.
  • Different primitive creation modes to avoid the need of aligning primitives after creating them.
  • A Lathe Tool to create rotational objects by an outline.
  • A multi-purpose Loft Tool, that extrudes a 2D object along path.
  • Tools to modify model geometry with ease: Move, Rotate, Scale, Extrude, Bevel and Inset.
  • Precise object selection in any viewport.
  • A planar, cylindrical and sphere texture mapping.
  • Automatic unwrap of complex meshes (Unfold and Flatten algorythm).
  • A powerfull Texture Coordinates Editor (UV Editor), that can handle elements, weld/unweld element parts and has handy 3D selection window.
  • Automatic Smoothing Group assigning by maximum angle between triangles and unlimited number of Smoothing Groups.
  • Two 3D control modes: arount center and first-person (with arrow keys navigation).
  • Exporting and Importing: Wavefront Object (*.OBJ), MilkShape 3D Binary (*.MS3D) Half-Life SMD (*.SMD) Half-Life Model (*.MDL)
  • Customizable user interface.
  • Complete user manual.

Screenshots:
Khed.ho.uaKhed.ho.uaKhed.ho.uaKhed.ho.ua

Official website:
Khed.ho.ua

Download page:
Khed.ho.ua

Don't forget to post your comments at forum:
Khed.ho.ua

Thanks for your attention:)

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 10 2009 Anchor

those models have terrible uv-maps and it seems like they consist mostly of triangles instead of polygons. I don't know about third party support, but if you were to export this to a games engine you might have some problems for it to render right. As the surfaces don't flex, I guess it doesn't matter much here, but in general traingles mean more computing stress to any engine.

Edited by: SinKing

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Mar 10 2009 Anchor

sinking, its just an example :)
i would say, add masive support to alot of game engines (standard importers/exporters) and you might have yourself a gem there ;)

--

°w°

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 10 2009 Anchor

Alright, but why post really bad examples, if you want to promote a software? I haven't tried it, but it looks decent and simple. I personally opt for Modo 402, because, opposed to 3ds Max, that's actually a program you understand and enjoy while modeling; it just needs more support, but that's coming.
A lot of the "old" 3Ds need a rewrite in my oppinion. Some, like Max, are just plugin collections, now. So I won't dizz this - errh - kHED again without trying it first. It's good to have simple 3D-software, which works well for low poly modeling. I cherish people, who make these programs, I was just a bit put off by the quality of the examples, respectively the mapping.

Keep it up! I need support for Vue 7 and Photoshop, please :)

Edited by: SinKing

Arxae
Mar 10 2009 Anchor

SinKing wrote: Alright, but why post really bad examples, if you want to promote a software?

maybe he didnt had any better examples at the time
but if you look at it, UV maps allways should be manualy tweaked, so from this we could conclude that the guy that made the example aint a good unwrapper :p

--

°w°

Mar 10 2009 Anchor

SinKing, don't you know that allmost every game 3d-model consists of triangles? And ofcourse the grafics card renders ONLY triangles. Polygons are just to organize model data, and they can be created out of triangles when exporting the model.

Skeletal animation and support for more formats will be added with next releases.

p.s. What exactly you all dislike in uv-mapping?

Edited by: jdphu

Arxae
Mar 10 2009 Anchor

bqd uv's apearantly
nothing to do with your app actualy
gonna try it out in a min :)

EDIT: tried it for a second
nnot much to say, only: TOOLTIPS!!!
tooltips would make starting out with it alot easier
snap to grid function would be cool too, i couldnt seem to find it anyway
allso the performance in the uv editor seems to be much much lower then the rest

Edited by: Arxae

Mar 10 2009 Anchor

Sigma, there's "Snap To Grid" option on toolbar.

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Mar 10 2009 Anchor

Why another modeller? Blender does it all... loop cuts and extrusion for the win :P

Mar 11 2009 Anchor

Yeah, especially Blender has "A simple, convenient and user-friendly interface, that is great for the beginers":)

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 11 2009 Anchor

jdphu wrote: Yeah, especially Blender has "A simple, convenient and user-friendly interface, that is great for the beginers":)

Hah, yeah, good point! And no, I don't know low poly models are made of triangles, maybe in XSI and Half-Life, but not in the current generation games. Of course that's just a way of modeling and if there are no problems or errors with the current generation game engines, fine. I think modeling with triangles is far more problematic than with polies, but that my be personal preference.

If you want good interface, great render capability and a working uv-editor (!) try out Modo. It's not your game-modding software, but it's a seriously great modeler (and more).

--

User Posted Image

Dragonlord
Mar 11 2009 Anchor

jdphu wrote: Yeah, especially Blender has "A simple, convenient and user-friendly interface, that is great for the beginers":)

It is simple, consistent and convenient. User-friendly is a rather subjective term in the end. Just because the UI is different than your generic windump-clicky-colorfully app doesn't mean it's bad.

Arxae
Mar 11 2009 Anchor

Dragonlord wrote:

It is simple, consistent and convenient. User-friendly is a rather subjective term in the end. Just because the UI is different than your generic windump-clicky-colorfully app doesn't mean it's bad.

its allso something you just have to get used to :p

--

°w°

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 11 2009 Anchor

DeathCaller wrote:

SinKing wrote: f you want good interface, great render capability and a working uv-editor (!) try out Modo. It's not your game-modding software, but it's a seriously great modeler (and more).

If he is the creator, why tell him to look at modo?

eh, I should stop - everybody knows I'm a noob modeler. Why Modo? -Maybe for inspiration. I only run the 30 day demo, but its a surprisingly cool program, so I wonder why its never mentioned. So yeah, purely for the inspiration.
Of course you can break polies down into two triangles, yet using two triangles means 2 vertexes more in your mesh, doesn't it? The only thing I wanted to say is that I couldn't model using triangles. I'm not sure, if that's the way kHED works. Trying it out might solve many problems. I'll probably like it, omg!!

--

User Posted Image

Dragonlord
Mar 11 2009 Anchor

DeathCaller wrote: Now tell me, where are those 2 extra vertices? And how does the triangle differ from the polygon in case of dimensions or visibility. They both look like rectangles correct?

Simple:

Quad(vertex indices) => (0,1,2,3)
Triangles(vertex indicies) => (0,1,2) (0,2,3)

You see, 6 instead of 4 vertices ( or rather their indices ), makes +2 vertices. But I don't know a model format used in games which does store quads but only triangles. It's easier to code loaders this way if you don't have to track quads. For modelling though quads are better since you see the edge flow ( mesh topology ). Triangles are for places you need specific control over the edge direction.

Edited by: Dragonlord

Mar 11 2009 Anchor

DeathCaller, i think you are confusing polygons with quads. A polygon can contain any number of triangles, unlike quads, that consist of two triangles.

Dragonlord wrote:
Quad(vertex indices) => (0,1,2,3)
Triangles(vertex indicies) => (0,1,2) (0,2,3)

You gave a good example, but you have a bad understanding of it:) Vertex no. 0 and vertex no. 0... (you won't believe) are the same vertex!But if we talk about modeling, not coding, that all really doesn't matter. The only thing that matter for modeller is comfort. That's why i whant to add quads in future releases as a view/editing mode.
p.s. When did i said that Blender is bad?

Dragonlord
Mar 11 2009 Anchor

Yeah, especially Blender has "A simple, convenient and user-friendly interface, that is great for the beginers":)

Could be me but that had a highly sarcastic undertone to me. ;)

What goes for the example for Blender this is the same vertex hence when I pull the vertex 0 around both triangles ( if I split the quad up ) are affected. That's the behavior I expect from a modeling application unless I put explicitly too vertices at the same place. But this kind of "pseudo hard edge" calls for troubles down the lane. In Blender I use edge creasing for this. Hence I have always the same vertex but if the edge is creased my export script turns it into a hard edge ( for the game it's also the same vertex but the normals are split up ). From your description it sounds to me like you work with isolated vertices which would not affect all polygons. But I could be wrong on that one.

Edited by: Dragonlord

Mar 12 2009 Anchor

looks like a new FREE low poly modeler that can be used instead of milkshape. To bad everything's high-poly now (well, for the most part).

Get id game support in there man. Those guys won't say "how silly, another modeling program when I already have one!". They'll say "sweet, another program I can model for Q1/2/3 with! :D"
I really three of the features:
A powerfull tool to create triangles and polygons, including polygons with holes.
A Lathe Tool to create rotational objects by an outline.
A multi-purpose Loft Tool, that extrudes a 2D object along path.

those aren't thinks people who are new to model know how great they are. :) Those things get buried in big app manuals but are very very handy!

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Neurological
Neurological Musician/Composer
Mar 12 2009 Anchor

Tried it, and is nice. Very usefull for make simple forniture models and such things. Put an ASE support too in there ;).

--

Neurological - Music Entertainment
Neuro-lab.net

Arxae
Mar 12 2009 Anchor

Neurological wrote: Tried it, and is nice. Very usefull for make simple forniture models and such things. Put an ASE support too in there ;).

as i said, put as much support in there for as much model formats as you can :p
the only reason i have 3ds max installed is to use the exporters :/ i dont like working with the programs, but it has the best support for game model formats (with or witouth plugins)

--

°w°

Mar 12 2009 Anchor

i agree: 3ds (and blender) seem to support pretty much everything out there, period. Very very sweet (I'd say 3ds has the upper hand as many game dev's used it while other apps were really expensive years ago & 3ds was very cheap by comparison)

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.