This is a STAND ALONE mod that merges Brutal Doom's modern gameplay with many new features that will make it closer to a survival game: scarcer ammo drops, bleeding wounds that you can actively treat, Inventory items that can be used to help you in your mission, and randomized monsters and item spawning. Also new weapons, new monsters, new 2D sprites, and new difficulty settings and player classes to tailor the game experience to your personal tastes.
In the future I also plan to add a crafting system and other features, based on your feedback, so please give this mod a look so I can improve it, and also improve myself as a first-time noob modder!
Ah, the good old Doom, those were the days. Played it since I was I child. But what changed from back then? Graphics in gaming became more beautiful, year after year, and the gameplay evolved. Replaying doom felt nostalgic, but not as creepy and hard as the first time, when I couldn't aim and ended up wasting a lot of ammo for no reason. It was still a lot of fun but something was missing... the survival horror atmosphere, the sense of costant danger... gone. Is anyone with me here? Ah, those were the days... but modern gaming brought some nice things too. Just think of Brutal Doom, the awesome mod from Sergeant_Mark_IV. Adds so many good gameplay mechanics and eyecandy... So what to do? What to do?
-------------------------------------- BRUTAL BOOF! ------------------------------------
It's a STAND ALONE mod that merges Brutal Doom's modern gameplay with many new features that will make it closer to a survival horror game and give a sense of novelty and replayability to the good old games.
CORE GAMEPLAY CHANGES:
- Ammunitions spawns & quantities completely overhauled to be more scarce, including the maximum you can carry.
- Completely revamped weapon damage and monsters' health: most weapons now do more damage but ammo will be more scarce, or they will have a heavier recoil.
Most mid-to-high tier monsters are generally more resistant, although they'll have weakpoints.
- The Axe can now break if you use it for too long. Keep an eye on the durability counter.
- The chainsaw now consumes fuel on use, but its primary attack is very useful for 1vs1 fights against bigger monsters.
- Fuel tanks added. You can use them to refill chainsaws, flamethrowers and napalm launchers, or carry them with you for when you actually need them.
- Supply Crates: find keys on former humans'corpses and use them to get some useful equipment! (with a custom 3D voxel made from scratch)
- Sacrifical Altars: find a sacrifical dagger and find a beating Hearth to sacrifice to acquire demonic powers!
- New Fire mode for the Shotgun: .10 gauge Slug rounds! With realistic reloading/switching between the two ammo types.
- New weapon: the Revolver! Powerful but difficult to handle (credits to RainboWarrioR for the sprites)
- New weapon: Claymore Mines & Sapper kit: Place Mines to ambush and trick your enemies, then use your pincers to disarm them.
- New Rocket Launcher AltFire: uses 3 ammo but shoots an high-speed rocket with increased damage.
- Randomized loot: ammo, health, weapon and artifact spawn points are now randomized. You'll never find the same stuff in the same map, but you'll also never find a BFG instead of a Shotgun. I made my best to make it balanced.
- Randomized monsters: many enemies now have rarer variants, with the chance to spawn in place of the normal ones. Some monsters will also spawn under specific conditions. For example, be careful in dark areas!
- Many new useful items to use from your inventory: flares, bandages, portable sentry turrets, night visors, and many more!
- Many new difficulty settings to choose your ideal playstyle. This mod is NOT conceived to be played with normal difficulty settings (Hurt me plenty, Ultraviolence, etc.). You still can, but an experienced player will probably find them too easy.
- New player class: the Survivalist! Similar to Brutal Doom's Tactical Mode, but you can now suffer from bleeding wounds inflicted by claws and bites, and you will also bleed to death if Your health conditions are too poor. Different items like bandages and medical supplies can stop the bleeding. Furthermore, you start the game with no weapons, and you'll lose some weapons and ammo every time you move from a map to the next one.
- Reward Crate: Kill every monster in a map to receive a crate full of useful items and/or ammo that you can carry around before opening! Can be a lifesaver when playing in Survivalist mode.
- Rebalanced Armor system: new armor types, with different damage absorption percentages. The higher the tier, the less the pain! Also, armor has a crucial role in mitigating/nullifying the effects of bleeding wounds.
- The flashlight now depletes energy "cells" over time. Flares and night vision goggles are finally useful! (Of course you can cheat with the gamma correction but... meh. Should you play this mod if you want to do that?)
- Many, many new 2D sprites to replace old ones and to fit the new items and ammunitions included in this mod.
- Crosshairs are now hidden when aiming from ironsights.
- Reworked Berserker pack: You become a mindless and almost unstoppable beast for 40 seconds, then you'll start to feel dizzy... better find a place to catch your breath!
- Bug fixes... lots of them. And still not enough. Oh no, no, very far from it.
- Crafting system to let the player craft even more items and battle drugs.
- Collectable data logs that you can read from your personal in-game infopad, explaining the new implemented gameplay features of the mod in a very lore-friendly way.
- Monsters with armor, to encourage using armor-piercing rounds and weapons when facing them.
- Difficulty settings rebalance (there are too many hard and unnecessary ones).
- Better Hitboxes for some monsters.
- More items, more monsters, more everything!
- Bug fixes... yeah, more of them. They NEVER STOP.
- ***** Moddb.com
for SPOOKY monster sounds
- ***** Moddb.com
for SPOOKY ambient music
- ***** ANY map pack that doesn't alter gameplay gameplay, monsters and stuff like that. You could try merging them, but expect troubles.
- ***** Most graphics, textures, and other visual mods and addon are completely compatible with this.
NOT RECOMMENDED MODS:
- ***** Gameplay mods, Total Conversions and other standalone mods (duh).
- ***** Map packs with bad game design: ok, jokes aside. This mod is not balanced to let you survive when you are forced to stay in a 3x3m space with hundreds of monsters teleporting behind you. Many mappers do that kind of stuff.
- ***** Slaughter maps: please don't do that to yourself.
Launch this with ZDL or another mod manager for Doom. Once the game is launched, there are some things I advise you to do before playing (In the future I plan to make most of these operations automatic):
- Make the "full helmet" HUD your default one (from the brutal doom player options) and scale it to fullscreen (from the hud scaling options). I edited this HUD to have more informations, and it has been adapted to the mod, unlike the others (for now)
- Go to the brutal doom gameplay options, then "mutators", and take advantage of the included light & fog mod to make your doom look perfect to you. The mod adds many items like flares and ACTUALLY USEFUL night vision goggles, so if you want to play the mod as intended, set your game to leave the dark areas of the levels actually dark... or not. Your choice.
- Customize your keybindings. There are some new commands from brutal doom and other ones that will cut some features out if you don't use them. Also remember to rebind inventory navigation keys.
Full credits can be viewed inside the mod's main menu. Tell me if someone is missing from the list.
BUGS AND TROUBLESHOOTING:
I'm a very inexperienced modder, but I'm doing my best to improve. Right now the mod is still in beta, so it has many flaws that I plan to refine with enough time. Your help will be very appreciated: if you encounter bugs, problems and other things you "would have done better" feel free to give me feedbacks, critics or ask me anything, and I'll surely give you my attention.