Announcing The Original Trilogy Version 4 release! There is a wide range of new content, a host of bugs are fixed, and many balance issues have been dealt...
The objective of this project is to recreate an accurate space combat experience from the Original Star Wars Trilogy. Our team has analyzed all the original space battles and, to the best of our abilities, we have attempted to capture the same style and overall atmosphere from the films. Just like the movies, ships have high velocities, a focus on primary weapons, and encounters are deadly and only survived by those with experience, teamwork, and some skillful use of the force...
We chose to use the powerful and actively maintained Freespace 2 Open engine. It provides an engine that is easy for almost any machine to run while at the same time allowing for high quality visual effects, smart AI, and massive battles. The engine is constantly being updated and worked on, and provides very effective modding capabilities along with excellent mission/campaign creation tools.
Multiplayer missions including co-op, team vs team and all out dogfights.
Custom AI profiles have been created and specifically designed to be smart,
deadly, realistic, and highly focused on the Star Wars style combat.
Also, each type of craft has its own custom AI set, which specifically plays on
the strengths of that craft.
Warfull's beautifully created Star Wars ship models and other effects are put into full visual effect.
Custom music and sounds directly from the Star Wars galaxy are completely incorporated.
Balance and game play are modeled with the feel of the
films. Each craft has its own specific handling, capabilities, and combat
styles--all which are directly adapted from the Star Wars movies. Balance is
key, as any craft can be deadly and efficient in the right hands. For example,
the TIE Fighter is a deadly craft that while easily destroyed, can avoid damage
through superior maneuverability and speed.
Custom missions and campaigns that will take place over the course of the Original Trilogy. The
player will have the chance to fight in and influence some of the most iconic events
from the films and fight through randomly generated mini campaigns. Fight for either the Empire or the Rebel Alliance. Both a ‘Fight for Freedom' and ‘Imperial Enforcement' storylines will be
Latest FSO 3.7.2 Final features are incorporated.
Open modding and mapping capabilities, the table files are logically organized and arranged to allow others to alter, tweak, or expand upon the mod.
Everything has been modified to represent a Star Wars atmosphere. Ships are fast, lasers
are deadly, proton torpedoes are explosive and powerful, X-wings and
TIE Interceptors have auto convergence, jumps into hyperspace are just like the
movies, ships with R2 units have some slow auto repair abilities, and etc.
Freespace 2: Open engine, Media VPs 3.6.14, and FSO 3.7.2 Final. Freespace 2 can be found on gog.com for under 5 US dollars and the free FS2 Open 3.7.2 and Media VPs 2014 are located at this site: Hard-light.net
-warfull for the amazing models: X-wing, Y-wing, A-wing, Nebulon B Frigate, Correlian Corvette, Star Destroyer, Mon Calamari Cruiser, TIE Avenger, Fighter, Interceptor, and Bomber, Assault Gunboat, Rebel Transport, Lambda Shuttle, Space Station, Freighter, and Z-95 Headhunter.
-coffeesoft for support, advice, custom interface, all the ani head files, custom planets, and following models: escape pod, speeder bike, and small container ships.
-MetalDestoryer for advice, support, access to the custom star-field, DS2 background, and the preliminary BoE and Asteroid field missions.
-Altureus and Gen_Rhys_Dallows for voice over work.
-FekLeyrTarg for the support, Outer Rim hyperspace buoy, comm. satellite, container ships, missions, new X-wing maps, and pilotable Blockade Runner.
-Hobbie for the custom escort mission.
-Pomate for the invaluable feedback and new radar screens.
-Axem for his prompt box, invaluable FRED tutorials, and advice.
-Ki-mo for some of the planets.
-DaBrain for the updated effects.
-Daniel 'Yitzchak' Bennett for some of the music.
-Puma767, Cornhelium, Darth Maul, Darth Doull, and TMaster_Syrus for the sounds and music.
-BlasterNT for the hit indicator.
-FelixJim for in-mission tech room script.
-Sushi for mouse joystick script.
-fightermedic for the asteroids.
-Galemp for the satellites and secondary models.
-Raphael de Bouchony for the TIE Pilot.
-abdyla for the Rebel Pilot and escape pod.
-Retired open content Star Wars Galaxies for the cockpits.
-HLP Community for the support, answers to questions and advice!
We will continue to work and attempt to improve this mod based on feedback. We will also create more missions and expand the campaigns. If anyone is interested and wants to work together with the team to developing missions, new material, or anything else please contact us or leave a message below. It would be greatly appreciated, plus the mod will improve faster! Thanks!
The biggest additions are the multiplayer missions and new HUDs. That's not all though, read below for a full explanation of all the changes. Also, this is a standalone release, so please just delete any previous versions and use this version. It also include the fixed Prologue mission.
First some screenshots:
Version 4 Full Change Log
- Added two new multiplayer missions, one TvT and one FFA.
- Added custom HUD for the Rebels and Empire.
- Added new music and improved the soundtrack diversity.
- Added many new and improved Imperial HUD animations and a set of new neutral pilot animations. Credits to coffeesoft.
- Added landing capabilities to the fighter-bays.
- Added Bridge subsystem to Imperial Star Destroyer.
- Added improved model of the Millennium Falcon.
- Added B-wing AI profile, weapons, and HUD icon.
- Added new secondary weapon specifically for the Assault Gunboat, the Heavy Rocket. Thanks to FekLeyrTarg.
- Added better Death Star backgrounds.
- Added hiqh quality new briefing animations. Credits to coffeesoft.
- Add better animations for conversations in Prologue. Credits to coffeesoft.
- Fixed ship radius calculations to improve AI performance.
- Fixed crashes related to the mouse script and hit indicator. Unfortunately that means neither script is in the mod any more.
- Fixed all major bugs with the Prologue not working correctly.
- Fixed the mini-target icon inconsistencies.
- Fixed the collisional holes in the Imperial XQ1 Station.
- Fixed some subsystem naming errors.
- Fixed some thruster placements on various ships.
- Fixed a rotation time error.
- Fix messages.tbl and names of hud ani's.
- Fixed fatal tstrings.tbl error.b Credits to darthdoull.
- Balanced out primary weapon lasers on smaller ships to prevent snipe-like attacks in multi-player.
- Tweaked and improved AI settings.
- Better balanced the ion cannon.
- Better adjusted subsystem values.
- Balanced concussion missile damage values.
Note on Multiplayer:
For those of you who want to set up multiplayer missions but do not know how please refer to these pages:
- Setup: Hard-light.net
- Toubleshooting: Hard-light.net
- Standalone servers: Hard-light.net
- The entire wiki for multiplayer is here: Hard-light.net community at HLP is very helpful and friendly so they are a great resource if you are having trouble, too.
Note on Missions:
All missions are under the Mission Simulator in the Tech Room. Prefixes for the file names have been used to more effectively differentiate mission types. Missions with 00(0, 1, 2, etc) designate official missions in the OT campaign. An N, R, or E will also follow the number to signify Neutral (N), Rebel (R) or Empire (E) type mission. Coop missions are multiplayer missions, FFA designates Free For All and TvT designates Team vs Team. CC in the file name are community created missions. X shows missions that are concept ideas/tests.
Note on the new script functions:
-In-Mission Techroom: Alt-1 shows your ship info, Alt-2 shows weapon info, and Alt-3 shows info about target. You can check the status of the subsystems, which is very handy for planning an attack strategy on a larger ship like a Mark II SD. It is also included since all of the ships and weapons are relatively unfamiliar.