This replacement mission fixes all the bugs that were found with the Prologue mission. Everything is working now.
The objective of this project is to recreate an accurate space combat experience from the Original Star Wars Trilogy. Our team has analyzed all the original space battles and, to the best of our abilities, we have attempted to capture the same style and overall atmosphere from the movies. Just like the movies, ships have high velocities, a focus on primary weapons, and encounters are deadly and only survived by those with experience, teamwork, and some skillful use of the force...
We chose to use the powerful and actively worked on Freespace 2 Open engine. It provides a engine that is easy for almost any machine to run while at the same time allowing for high quality visual effects, smart AI, and massive battles. The engine is constantly being updated and worked on, and provides very effective mission and campaign creation tools.
Multiplayer support for missions.
Custom AI profiles have been created and have been specifically designed to be smarter,
deadlier, more realistic, and more focused on the new Star Wars type combat.
Also, each type of craft has its own custom AI set, which specifically plays on
the strengths of that craft.
Warfull's beautifully created ship models and other effects are put into full effect.
Custom music and sounds directly from the Star Wars galaxy are fully utilized.
Balance and game play have been taken into stride and corroboration with the feel of the
films. Each craft has its own specific feel, capabilities, and combat
styles--all which are directly adapted from the Star Wars movies. Balance is
key, as any craft can be deadly and efficient in the right hands. For example,
the TIE Fighter is a deadly craft that while easily destroyed, can avoid damage
through superior maneuverability and speed.
Custom missions and campaigns that will take place over the course of the Original Trilogy. The
player will have the chance to fight in and influence some of the most iconic events
from the films. Fight for either the Empire or the Rebel Alliance. Both a
‘Fight for Freedom' and ‘Imperial Enforcement' story lines will be
Latest FSO 3.7.2 RC4 features are incorporated.
Everything that I can think of has been modified to represent a Star Wars atmosphere. Lasers
are faster and deadly, proton torpedoes are explosive and powerful, X-wings and
TIE Interceptors have auto convergence, jumps into hyperspace are just like the
movies, ships with R2 units have some slow auto repair abilities, and etc.
Open modding and mapping capabilities, I have arranged the table files so they are make sense to others who want to alter, tweak, or expand upon the mod.
Freespace 2: Open engine, Media VPs 3.6.14, and FSO 3.7.2 RC4. Freespace 2 can be found on gog.com for under 5 US dollars and the free FS2 Open 3.7.1 and Media VPs 2014 are located at this site: Hard-light.net
-warfull for the amazing models: X-wing, Y-wing, A-wing, Nebulon B Frigate, Correlian Corvette, Star Destroyer, Mon Calamari Cruiser, TIE Avenger, Fighter, Interceptor, and Bomber, Assault Gunboat, Rebel Transport, Lambda Shuttle, Space Station, Freighter, and Z-95 Headhunter.
-coffeesoft for support, advice, custom interface, all the ani head files, custom planets, and following models: escape pod, speeder bike, and small container ships.
-MetalDestoryer for advice, support, access to the custom star-field, DS2 background, and the preliminary BoE and Asteroid field missions.
-Altureus and Gen_Rhys_Dallows for voice over work.
-FekLeyrTarg for the support, Outer Rim hyperspace buoy, comm. satellite, container ships, missions, new X-wing maps, and pilotable Blockade Runner.
-Hobbie for the custom escort mission.
-Pomate for the invaluable feedback and new radar screens.
-Axem for his prompt box, invaluable FRED tutorials, and advice.
-Ki-mo for some of the planets.
-DaBrain for the updated effects.
-Daniel 'Yitzchak' Bennett for some of the music.
-Puma767, Cornhelium, Darth Maul, Darth Doull, and TMaster_Syrus for the sounds and music.
-BlasterNT for the hit indicator.
-FelixJim for in-mission tech room script.
-Sushi for mouse joystick script.
-fightermedic for the asteroids.
-Galemp for the satellites and secondary models.
-Raphael de Bouchony for the TIE Pilot.
-abdyla for the Rebel Pilot and escape pod.
-Retired open content Star Wars Galaxies for the cockpits.
-HLP Community for the support, answers to questions and advice!
We will continue to work and attempt to improve this mod based on feedback. We will also create more missions and expand the campaigns. If anyone is interested and wants to work together with the team to developing missions, new material, or anything else please contact us or leave a message below. It would be greatly appreciated, plus the mod will improve faster! Thanks!
Much new content has been added, including the first official mission of the campaign, model point shields that are more accurate to the movies, cockpits, and a plethora of other features. In addition the big bugs have been fixed, along with a wide range of smaller ones. Also, balancing issues have been incorporated, such as increasing the effectiveness of turret AI, spacing of better LODs (for better performance), and overall ship hit point balancing.
First off some Version 3 screenshots:
A-wing squaring off against a TIE Fighter.
The new shield system. For example a SD can now lose it's bridge deflector shields.
View from the first mission.
Full Changelog to Version 3 (from Version 2):
- Added the first official mission to the Star Wars Original Trilogy Campaign. It is even mostly voice acted thanks to Altureus and Gen_Rhys_Dallows.
- Added 'model point shields' as a part of the newest features of FSO 3.7.2. Now, as in the movies, craft like X-wings have front and rear deflectors and larger ships have 'Bridge Deflector Shields' and ect. Similarly updated all shield HUD images to fit the new shield system.
- Added full ship cockpits for the following craft: X-wing, A-wing, TIEs, Falcon, Y-wing, and Z-95. The cockpits are especially nice for Track IR users. Also, these will likely get improved at later releases. On a side note: these are public assets from Star Wars Galaxies.
- Added a full custom Star Wars style interface background. Thanks to coffeesoft for all the hard work with that one, it looks great.
- Added a fun new mission, thanks to FekLeyrTarg. Be prepared to ambush some assault gunboats with a squadron of X-Wings.
- Added DS Surface and separate turrets for mappers. Thanks coffeesoft.
- Added hit/kill indicator, thanks BlasterNT.
- Added better radar images to differentiate fighters, bombers, and capital ships.
- Added In-Mission Techroom Script so you can review/analyze your ship and weapons, and your target's ships and subsystems during a mission (it automatically pauses the game). Thanks to FelixJim.
- Added mouse script for convenience of trying to hit or avoid fast moving TIEs. Thanks to Sushi for the modified version.
- Added guided missiles script, so other modders could play around with it.
- Added turret rotation sounds.
- Added animations to the Rebel and Empire tech room descriptions.
- Added Rebel and Imperial pilots and an R2 unit. Can be used for missions rescuing pilots or capturing them.
- Added a lot of custom pilot images such as Wookiee, Rebel or Imperial Pilot, Boba Fett, etc. Thanks coffeesoft.
- Added multiple different Death Star 2 images for mappers who may want to use different lighting conditions.
- Changed the center reticule and lead indicator shapes.
- Added subsystems on smaller ships.
- Added more planets like Endor, Hoth, Dagobah, Yavin, etc. Thanks coffeesoft.
- Added more variety to explosions and impacts of ships and weapons.
- Added many different types of large asteroids. Thanks to fightermedic.
- Added a neutral themed soundtrack.
- Changed splash screen to something more familiar, and added a new intro movie.
- Added a DS I surface (even has a trench) and turrets for mappers to play around with. Thanks coffeesoft.
- Fixed music bug, now there are no error messages about ranges when loading missions.
- Fixed the missing ship icons on ships that previously did not have one and redid all the others for higher quality.
- Fixed Falcon's incorrect cockpit and Moment of Inertia issue.
- Improved escape pod textures and model. Thanks cofeesoft.
- Fixed the 'Inactive' missile slot.
- Fixed name run over in target view for shield generators.
- Fixed some spelling.
- Fixed turret hitpoint issues on larger ships.
- Fixed Warpout radius and other stuff like leave time.
- Fixed various mission crashes and ensured that there are no longer any runover missions from the MediaVPs.
- Changed subspace sound.
- Updated credits.
- Further modified AI behaviour, especially in regards to turrets.
- Added a large revision of AI and ship classes. Also added many more ship commands for both larger and smaller ships.
- Altered subsystems on larger ships like turrets and shield generators.
- Slightly lowered range of primary weapons to 1200 m (rather than 2000 m) to improve balance issues in regards to the automatic convergent auto-aim.
- Further balanced shield and hit-point values.
- Add better spacing of LODs for better performance.
- Altered subsystem repair rate so now only ships with R2 units have hull and subsystem repairing. -Removed some unused files.
- Added more realistic physics for secondary weapons.
- Added docking points and hangar bay subsystem to the asteroid base.
- Altered the ion cannon to more closely resemble the Hoth Cannon effects in Episode V. It now better fit's its role as a disabling weapon/shielding removing weapon.