Deus Ex is one of the best PC games in history, but even it isn't without its faults and shortcomings. Shifter addresses these and then some. Unused game content, buggy scripted events, several completely useless items, and certain design choices that can only be described as "annoying", all fixed (or at least "improved") by this little mod. I started Shifter in 2002 to fix just one of the latter -- the fact that weapons equipped with a laser sight won't turn it on automatically -- and the project has expanded exponentially since then. A few new weapons, some additional uses for existing items, new augmentations, and several fixes for existing Deus Ex bugs all exist in Shifter, along with a new multiplayer component. The mod is so popular it's been featured in Game Informer's July 2007 edition of Mod World; how many Deus Ex mods can say that? (only 3, to be specific) Shifter: "Removing the suck from Deus Ex" since 2002.
Another release candidate for v1.9. This version removes some demo-detection code which was causing issues for some users when trying to start a new game, and also localizes the "you discarded a combat knife" message, so that it can be translated by a localization file. This atop the existing improvements for compatibility with the new HDTP Beta, as well as the new "lootable containers" feature.
v1.9: - I'm back, baby! Almost two years since the last update. Whoops.
- HDTP: Added support for the MASSIVE number of new meshes/textures added by the HDTP beta relase. Only things I couldn't do were the new textures for Flamethrower effects and part of the changes for Flares. These had to be omitted because the resources can't be dynamically loaded like others, meaning for me to add them I'd have to make Shifter such that it required HDTP to run. I also had to omit the MJ12 Trooper mesh for the time being due to an animation issue which would actually cause the game to crash outright if you happened to look at an MJ12 Trooper who was sitting down.
- Fixed a bug that was causing Ketchup Bars and the like to appear at people's feet in TNM. Turns out it was also occurring in the normal game as well, it was just going unnoticed. The problem, if you care, was that I forgot a "break" statement in NPC Random Inventory and there were instances where it would spawn TWO items, the first one being completely forgotten while the second was placed in NPC inventory.
- Added a new feature similar to NPC Random Inventory: Container Random Inventory. Certain containers have a small chance of being given items if they would otherwise be empty. You are't going to find anything amazing from this, but you might come across some minor health items, consumables, or maybe even some ammo.
- Also related to Containers, I have made certain Containers able to be opened. When interacting with them you will first check their contents and take them into inventory, if applicable. Anything you don't will be dropped at your feet. From that point you will be able to pick up the items as normal. This currently only applies to trash cans, mailboxes, and wicker baskets.
- Added a tiny bit of code so you can't accidentally step on Cats and Cleaner Bots, subsequently killing/destroying them. I mean, JC isn't THAT freakin' clumsy.
- Fixed a bug in my code for the Received Items window which caused ammo pickup amounts to incorrectly display the total amount of that type of ammo you have on you, rather than the amount which had been added to your total.
- Switched around a little code in the function that controls you looting dead bodies for weapons/ammo/etc. No changes in the end result; the code changes just make sure that certain bits of code are only run when their output actually matters, i.e. no sense calculating ammo amounts when we aren't giving the player that type of ammo anyway.
- Added code so that when you pick up a weapon containing ammo it also lists the ammo you receive from it in your log.
- Fixed a long-standing bug with Lamps in Deus Ex. If they defaulted to on they would have an appropriate glow around them, but would not change the actual lamp object's glow and whatnot.
- Fixed another Deus Ex bug, this time with Containers. Carrying anything like an ammo crate or similar while going across a level transition would reset the contents in the box. The box's contents will now be stored prior to travel and restored after.
- Also fixed a variant of the above for barrels, which in this case would turn into plain boring barrels on level transition, as well as Datacubes, which would lose all text/images/whatever.
- Finally fixed the glitch that would give you two instances of prods, pistols, and medkits when you started a new game without quitting the old one. Turns out an existing DX function that is supposed to empty your inventory doesn't actually do anything.
- Fixed a few minor issues pointed out on the Shifter SVN. One was a bug with the ill-used Skull Gun aug that prevented you from getting any points from kills made with it. The other was not exactly a fix: some NPC-specific weapons like Gray Spit and Greasel Spit aren't useable by the player, as in even if you cheat to get them they won't work. I've added code so you can. You dirty cheater.
- Included a French localization file created by modDB user Babeuf97, as well as deusex-m. This should provide a translation of Shifter's new and modified text for any French fans out there. The file is DeusEx.fra. If your game doesn't load it automatically you can simply rename it DeusEx.int.
- Removed some code in the New Game screen left over from abandoned features from a few versions back. The code may have been causing some crashes that users were experiencing when trying to load the game.