FEB2012d is the current full installer. MSC returns, just after Valentine's Day, to show that it still loves you, then comes back a few days later with...
Master Sword: Continued 1.2 is an ongoing expansion of Master Sword.
FOR THE LATEST DOWNLOADS VISIT:
The Official MSC Downloads Page
INSTALLATION: Install the Full Installer and the latest Betapack linked above, in that order. Both packages should be linked on the above page.
REQUIREMENTS: Note that this is a Half-Life 1 (GoldSource) mod, not a Source Mod. The Source Mod is a separate project that has yet to be released. This mod requires the original Half-Life be installed. (That's the original "Half-Life1" - not "Half-Life2: Episode 1". You'd be amazed how many folks we have to explain this to. ^_^)
FUZZNET: Servers with [FN] in their name are connected to the central character database "FuzzNet". Your character will be available across all such servers. If you wish to host an MSC server with access to the central database yourself, please contact Blasto or Thothie through the MSC Forums.
- HISTORY -
Master Sword, a first-person MPORPG mod for Half-Life, was first created in 1998 by Dogg and Evaan. For over a decade now, dozens of developers have come and gone, contributing to and expanding the project.
When Steam came about, the game looked doomed. But then, in 2005, Kuroneko combined forces with several members of the original team, as well as many new ones, and managed to update it for use with Gabe Newell's new beast, giving the game a full makeover in the process.
Since 2005, we've gone from 11 maps, to over 50, from two spells to over twenty, from a dozen weapons to nearly a hundred, and added litteraly thousands of monsters, NPCs, quests, and features. It seemed that the newly dubbed Lanethan's world of Daragoth would go on expanding forever.
However, after some drama in mid 2008, things were looking grim. Despite the devastation that resulted, now, we're slowly crawling back from the brink. Several new maps and models are nearly ready to go. Many bug fixes and new features are lined up for release. All we need is the green light from our project lead (The Man in Black), and we'll have a release - or at least that's how things stood, as of October 2009.
Now it's 2010 - and although we still don't have jetpacks and hovercars, we do have MSC JAN2010! It seems the dev team is back in business, if not as prolific as we once were. Still, things are moving along despite all the efforts to stop us, so that's gotta count for something.
- CURRENT TEAM -
The Man in Black - Coder and Project Lead
FER - Modeling Department Head
Thothie - Scripting and Mapping Department Head
Sabre - Modeler
Jelly - Additional Scripts
Dridje - Mapper
CrazyMonkeyDude - Models and Additional Scripts
Blasto121 - FN Hosting Service
Kuroneko - Official web space, godfather lead, and keeper of the All Important Forums!
The MSC Community - MSC is first and foremost a community built mod, and many members of the MSC community regularly contribute artwork and media to the on going project.
- WHAT WE NEED -
Master Sword is a community supported project, so we take donations of artwork from any number of sources. Although there's a great deal of original artwork in Master Sword, we're also keen on salvaging artwork, or even maps and code, from dead Half-Life mods. We have indeed done so from over a dozen now (all credited in the "credits_betapack.txt" file in your MSC folder). If you have any materials you would like to donate, stop by the Forums, introduce yourself, and contact Thothie.
In particular we are looking for:
• Coders - experienced in the HL1SDK who will not have too many nightmares after seing a decade old source code that's had about a dozen hands in it. You must be able to compile in ye ancient VS2003.
• Modelers - especially those who can animate and/or UV map
• Mappers - either eager to make new creations, or willing to donate their old sources, are always more than welcome.
• Scripters - MSC has a unique and robust scripting system. It has Othello syndrome, however, in that it takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master. This is the backbone of the game, however, so if you have heavy coding experience and the patients to learn a new language, we are always desperate for more experienced hands in this deparment.
• Voice Actors - Ever fancy yourself a voice actor and want something for your portfolio? Here's your chance. We've a ton of NPC's, both male and female, with extensive dialogue that we'd like to attach actual voices to. Again, contact Thothie at the forums, and we can get you started.
* Sage advice from the Descartes Troll.
This optional** patch has all the goodness of FEB2015a plus:
• Shield buggery. *
• Scriptflag issues causing push resistance not to register and the like.
• Various monster DOT/AOE registration issues.
• Multi-map global quest tracker issues (Shadahar and Lodagond, among others.)
• Boss tag FN XP multipliers failing.
• Rune Blade issues.
• Tomahawk issues.
• Bunch of other minor stuffs.
- Flesheater Crash (Possibly)
- Musak (Recompile pending for some new chests)
- Vanishing mob issues
- Abyssal Worm teleport issues
- Abyssal Worm chest issues
- Abyssal Worm resource issues (now suspends all spawns while present).
- Blood Goblin Chieftain boss recurrence chance and chest
- Slime boss now appears
• The_Wall: *
- Insta-death on spawn. (Go hug Forsuth for us, he's been lonely!)
* Requires client have patch.
** FEB2015c or later is currently required to play on [FN] (and FEB2015d is required to play The_Wall.)
Should be the last patch of the month. Beware, again, come MAR2015, or whenever the next patch is ready, Rmines, Fmines, and Underpath will be hidden-flagged maps, as per Oyster's demands. (Assuming we can get this darn Gatecity source to behave.)
Comes in both full installer and update patch variants...