The Maelstrom Mod introduces three new races to the Sins of a Solar Empire Universe. They are independent of the original races and have unique strengths and weaknesses. Maelstrom is available Rebellion, Diplomacy, Entrenchment and Original Sins.
We are pleased to announce the third release of the Maelstrom mod for SoaSE
Posted by soase-maelstrom on Jan 15th, 2011
The Maelstrom mod is now available in two series, Standard Series and the Expansion Series
The Expansion Mod includes a new Capitalship known as a Dreadnought. A Dreadnought is a very large and powerful Capitalship that once at level six or beyond can be upgraded into a Super-Dreadnought. All six races have Dreadnought Capitalships. Dreadnought's are automatically and repeatedly built by a special Dreadnought factory ... only one unique factory is made available for each player at the start of the game.
Also included are more aggressive Pirates with Capitalships, capable of colonizing, and a pirate carrier cruiser. Finally beware of dangerous asteroids which fill the gravity well of various planets, they can severely damage fleets through collisions.
The new release also sees further optimization in both memory footprint and speed. Attention was also given to re-balancing, though this process is not complete. Also you will find new content and rework of some old assets.
For contributions in testing and concepts I would like to thank ...
ICEman, Quiet_Man, Chemical_Art, Volgun, doomser1 and many others
For mod optimization special thanks to ...
The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)
The major changes in Release 3 are as follows ...
- TradeAlliance: fixed missing UI crusier button for TA - Diplomacy
- All: updated build UI icons (capital, cruisers, frigates) for new races
- TradeAlliance: bomber/fighter can all fire
- TradeAlliance: capital carrier firing corrected
- Norlamins: cosmic ray collector now has planetary shield ability
- General: 'Dangerous Asteroids' collide with one another, mitlia and pirates
- General: Original Sins Maelstrom mod no longer crashes on exit - number of unique texture files reduced
- TradeAlliance: light frigate slot count increased from 5 to 6
- TradeAlliance: reduced number of strike craft for ability "Strike Force" for Carriers and Capitals
- Norlamins: backed off shield mitigation in culture and shield mitigation research.
- Replicators: back off research. maximum level for any research area is 2.
- All: reduced scouts firepower for all new races
- General: reduced number of mines for E & D, Stars have max of 100 mines, Planets 50, Home Planets 150.
- General: reduced trade bonus for "Planet of Legend"
- Replicators: added research for Cybernetics Factory
- Replicators: added research for Nanite Plant
- Replicators: added research for Orbital Cannon
- Replicators: added research for Antimatter Recharger
- General: 'Dangerous Asteroids' do damage on collisions
- General: some particle impact effects fixed
- TradeAlliance: Diplomacy ... Starbases no longer move
- Norlamins: Diplomacy ... Starbases no longer move
- All: 42 new orbital structures with new hud, mainview, info, picture icons.
- All: Dreadnoughts included for 6 races, new models for the original races
- All: Dreadnought Factory included for 6 races, new models for all races
- Replicators: added Antimodule cruisers for Replicators
- Replicators: added Orbital Cannon Structure for Replicators
- Replicators: added Orbital Antimatter Recharger Structure for Replicators
- Replicators: added Orbital Cybernetics Factory Structure for Replicators
- Replicators: added Orbital Nanite Plant Structure for Replicators
- Replicators: deleted Orbital Production Factory for Replicators
- Replicators: Added Trade ship for Replicators
- Replicators: Added Refinery ship for Replicators
- Norlamins: Deleted Orbital Planetary Shield for Norlamins
- Norlamins: added Antimodule cruisers for Norlamins
- TradeAlliance: bomber/fighter tangents fixed
- General: Reworked Planet Ancients
- General: Reworked Planet Fortified
- General: textures for planet modules optimized
- General: sound files sizes further optimized