Lots of things have changed since 2007. The gaming industry as a whole, the Source engine community, ModDB itself, and of course this modification. It actually feels like 5 centuries. I remember like releasing with 5 maps and a really buggy beta version. However it was playable and fun for the most part. There wasn't any goal set other than experiment and improve the initial concept. So here we are five years later...
And what's new in 3.8, check out these highlights: (full notes)
- Quicker gameplay: player speed, reload, rate of fire and ironsights. Higher accuracy.
- New content, 4 levels featuring custom modes: Snowy (push the cart), Forest (gun searching and zone capture), BigBarn (obstacle placement) and Coldblood (survival). New winter themed and nature assets
- Zombie survival sandbox mode, includes new custom zombie AI and original engagement rules
- Improved DM and Team versus bots (navigation, enemy acquisition, objective completion and customization)
- Bank account: per server rank that tracks your cash earnings
- Mare's leg secondary attack mode (quick fire)
- New local server creation menu, easier to use and additional options exposed
- Bullet penetration system (bodies and map geometry)
- Important fixes: lagging hitboxes and animations events not playing correctly (both SDK bugs)
All I can say after this time is: thank you for your support to all those who walked this way by our side. This is, like someone said, a game made by gamers for gamers. Not just some BS slogan but the pure truth. Too weird to live, and too rare to die, hahah!