The Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott is a group of individuals who have pledged to boycott Valve's upcoming release of Left 4 Dead 2 on November 17th, 2009. We have assembled a manifesto outlining the basic concensus of many members of our community.

Post news Report RSS L4D2 Boycott Continues

As the famous L4D2 Boycott Group has entered their 20th day, the group stands stronger every minute due to an unstoppably devoted community.

Posted by on

***Please read the Moddb L4D2 Boycott Group Summary if you dont know about the boycott.***


As the famous L4D2 Boycott Group enters 20th day of its creation, incredible amount of articles/blogs have been written about the group's goal not only by the actual members but by famous sites too. The group now has reached 34,051 Members and still keeps growing rapidly. The one I want to write about is Valve's response in Kotaku.

Valve has made some significant statements regarding their plans for the original L4D game but hasn't yet explained the their route.

Newell wrote: E3 is a trade event where developers and publishers come to announce new games for the coming year. L4D2 — like any new product — requires an appearance at the show,

Newell wrote: Some in the community are concerned that the announcement of L4D2 implied a change in our plans for L4D1. We aren't changing our plans for L4D1.

Newell wrote: In addition to the recently released Survival Pack, we are releasing authoring tools for Mod makers, community matchmaking, 4x4 matchmaking, and more new content during the coming months for L4D1," Newell says. "We also agree with our customers that there needs to be an interoperability plan for players of L4D1 and L4D2, as multiplayer games are driven by the cohesiveness of their community.


These might seem like a little good news but while the boycotters are excited about the idea of new content, the group is still in the dark about it. What sort of content is it? For all we know, it could be a new main menu screen. Is it a new map, is it new monsters, is it new weapons, etc...?


With the actual appearance of an add-on system, we might be looking up to some new content. Thus I will continue this article by some entertainment, a parody created our former member, =VoodooKing=. Beware that video is very funny but may contain faul language. 13+

Selman wrote: -noflame- In my opinion, these might be just some strategies to calm the Boycott Community down thus they can release L4D2 without much resistance. Even though I trust in Valve dearly the video below is enough proof that they lied at some point to some degree and if they do it once, they can do it again. The Boycott Group is not going anywhere, there are still 100 days to anounced release date of L4D2. I will still try to keep informing the Moddb Community with significant bits because afterall, this is a story of consumers every gamer would like to know. I wanted to make this news entertaining with 2 videos, they are short but very supporting. -/noflame-


1. Chet's claim that the content for L4D2 cannot be applied to the current game without breaking it... It is absolutely a lie, especially if they're planning to offer the original campaigns for L4D2. Because they're using the same game engine, there is nothing that *cannot* be imported directly. On the other hand, that didn't seem to stop them from updating TF2.

2. "The amount of new content warrants a sequel"- Chet and others claimed that Valve would support L4D 2 with significant content updates. TF2 has been supported with new game modes, entirely new maps, new achievements, new weapons and a new pickup system. Left 4 Dead, which cost $30 more, has received 2 original campaigns updated to serve as 'Vs.' material and 'Survival' mode with 95% recycled maps and one new one.

-In direct comparison, L4D has received significantly less content than a less expensive game, especially on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW BEFORE COMMENTING

Sources For Further Reading;
Kotaku Article
Valve's Past Promises


Sources For Further Reading;
Kotaku Article
Valve's Past Promises

Comments  (0 - 50 of 310)
Wills
Wills

Totally agree, this has got really old now, and very boring to hear about.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+18 votes
selman_akinci Author
selman_akinci

(buried)

You do not have to read this you know, but unlike you apparently there are more than 90 people who care and support this, thus it is their dearest right to get informed about what they support. If you do not care, simply do not read. CASE CLOSED...

Reply Good karma-20 votes
symbolzzzz
symbolzzzz

Ummmmm i think you are a little overeacting compere Valve with EA and then tell me that Valve makes expensive addons.
I think i Dont need to tell you how many 30$ addons containing usually 10 - 15 new items EA has made for Sims, Sims 2 and a lot other games.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+3 votes
Fiestainabox
Fiestainabox

When people disagree with you, don't blow them off by saying "If you don't like it, don't read it." If your going to start a controversial group about a very popular video game series, expect to have people disagree with you.

Your just making your argument look weak. You and you 90 odd people have the right to say what they want, and the other million people have the right to say what they want too.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+1 vote
Wills
Wills

So you're not after opinions on the subject? Just people that agree with you? Sorry, my mistake...

Reply Good karma Bad karma+23 votes
selman_akinci Author
selman_akinci

(buried)

If I only wanted people supporting it, I would have deleted all comments, if you are going to flame an informing article, knock yourself out. Take notice that the article is written in perspective view, not a "You have to support us" view.

Reply Good karma-12 votes
Tatsur0
Tatsur0

Actually deleting comments would be breaking the rules and you'd received a warning (...heh learned that the hard way :D)

Reply Good karma Bad karma+5 votes
LongBottom
LongBottom

If deleting comments is against the rules then why is there a delete button then?

Reply Good karma Bad karma+7 votes
Tatsur0
Tatsur0

common sense would suggest the ability to delete advertisements, discussions completely off topic, and posts using language inappropriate for a majority of those that regular the site heh.

Reply Good karma Bad karma0 votes
Orion
Orion

People will always have their opinions on one side of the fence or the other when it comes to issues like this Selman... Opinions (Not Flaming) of which they are entitled to! So if you're going to be writing articles like this then this is what you should expect.

Btw, I can see where Wills is coming from... Based on your comments above and below, It DOES actually sound like you want EVERYONE to agree with you here... Sorry, but life don't exactly work that way! lol. ;)

Reply Good karma Bad karma+13 votes
feltorn
feltorn

Also, I notice how all of selman_akinci's comments are getting buried, despite them bieng good points.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+4 votes
LongBottom
LongBottom

It's because childish people vote on comments.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+5 votes
DESTROYER
DESTROYER

Agreed

Reply Good karma Bad karma+3 votes
Arxae
Arxae

why not?
they have a valid point, valve said they where gonna have alot of dlc and the only thing we got where a new gamemode and 1 new map or so :/

Reply Good karma Bad karma+13 votes
sbnewsom
sbnewsom

Really? Because in reality we shouldn't be basing on what we got with L4D currently, we should be basing it off of what valve has done on previous games. Look at CSS and TF2. They have receive plenty of updates and DLC. Its called a Track Record. There are reasons why such things exist.

Reply Good karma Bad karma-3 votes
Afnopo
Afnopo

(buried)

Three words for all the diaper wetting babys: Get Over It.

I want the game, and If you don't that is your problem, but don't ruin the experience for the people who want this.

Reply Good karma Bad karma-5 votes
macemaster11
macemaster11

You just don't get it. But once you have it, it'll already be gone.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+3 votes
Surfa
Surfa

Seriously I would have thought a modding community of all places would under-stand that the left 4 dead team are just creating something they want to create and the promises get broken all the time. I mean I support them 100% of the way because they are just creating a game because they want to and not because they care about whether they make a ton of money or not. So feel free not to buy the game because I am pretty sure the whole left 4 dead team are laughing hard at this group and all the cheap people who think that left 4 dead was a waste or money. You guys got seriously spoilt by the orange box (which was a bargin) and really need to come down to earth and compare left 4 dead with other games from different companies and not with the orange box/tf2.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+14 votes
AlphaPheonix
AlphaPheonix

(buried)

We were not spoiled, we were lied to. I will buy L4D2 once I get the new characters I was promised, the new weapons I was promised, the new monsters I was promised, and the new campaign(s) I was promised. I purchased the game at full price because I was told that I would get the aforementioned content. However, this content was nowhere to be see, except now Valve is releasing a sequel which contains the content I was promised, along with the content I paid for (Valve said L4D2 players will be able to play L4D1 campaigns, but with the new content added). Essentialy, I paid $50 to beta test the game, and now I'll need to pay again for the full product.

Think about it, why didn't we get an SDK until recently? We were promised a full SDK would be released 1-3 weeks after release. 6 months later we get a beta. If too much custom content was made, people wouldn't need to but L4D2 for the new campaigns, because dozens of good ones would be made by the modding community. People on this website should realize that.

Reply Good karma Bad karma-8 votes
Tatsur0
Tatsur0

Honestly, the only reason I agree is cause L4D wasn't worth the $50. Half the textures/props were from CSS heh. Congrats to how well it's doing and preference shouldn't count for anything but seriously... A $50 game recycling content? Still the boycott is silly *shrugs*.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+3 votes
CrazyIvan1745
CrazyIvan1745

I agree on why people are annoyed, and why most are not. On a Modding standpoint, based on what I have seen messing with their Map maker and everything. To update L4D to the standards of L4D2. You would have to re-download the entire game. Also, as much as I loved the first 4 survivors, it is kinda cool that they brought in new characters. Although I would have preferred if they added the 4 new with the 4 old, I don't see how they could have done this nicely without having to rerecord most of the conversation pieces. I do think they should have waited a bit longer to release L4D2, but it seems like they had a whole new audio person do the audio. I was very impressed in the demo with some of the audio recordings used for L4D2. Also, in L4D they mentioned they travel at night because then the zombies can't see you as easily, so I am hoping the day levels will keep to that idea and upgrade the AI to react differently in the daytime. I hate to be negative about L4D1 but when I tried to play online with people I didn't know I quickly got annoyed. One of my first attempts got me kicked because their strategy failed and mine worked. I didn't try to provoke them they just simply disagreed and when I was right they vote kicked me out. Anyways, good luck with the boycott, hopefully it will influence Valve to not turn into an EA profit driven company.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+1 vote
DJ-Ready
DJ-Ready

I concur, there should be much more attention

Reply Good karma Bad karma-3 votes
Afnopo
Afnopo

I concur, there should be no attention what-so ever. It is a game, either buy it, or dont..

Reply Good karma Bad karma+10 votes
Stockypotty
Stockypotty

(buried)

Im afraid I don't agree with this statement, because I feel it's very narrow minded and in some ways ignorant to say "it's just a game, either buy it or don't" as there are a huge amount of other factors to consider when it comes to game such as pre purchase information given to you that might persuade you to buy a game

Reply Good karma Bad karma-5 votes
Afnopo
Afnopo

Valve owes you nothing, you either buy their games or not. But don't ruin the game people like me are anticipating to buy.

This boycott is pointless and a waste of time. You might as well call it "TEAM ROOMBA: LEFT 4 DEAD EDITION"!

Reply Good karma Bad karma-4 votes
alex06
alex06

Yet it still boils down to either buying it or not.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+9 votes
MrMattWebb
MrMattWebb

... l4d still?

Just dont buy the sequel and this will be a closed case, but like I said...

Im sure at least a 1/4 of all the players in the Anti Valve group on steam will own L4D2 in a years time of its release.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+8 votes
Tatsur0
Tatsur0

i'd bed on 3/4 or more (real members not cloned accts)

Reply Good karma Bad karma+6 votes
AlCool Creator
AlCool

In one years time the price may be dropped so who knows. I for one will not buy the game regardless of the time later if valve keeps it up the way they are.

Reply Good karma0 votes
Daystranger
Daystranger

One year?
I say one week.
Half of whine-parade will get the game same week its released.
I doubt that 1\4 of it remember they joined it.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+1 vote
Nokiaman
Nokiaman

(buried)

Stop posting this bullsh*t. It won't happen.

Reply Good karma Bad karma-7 votes
BunnyJen
BunnyJen

This group is so pathetic. Just jumping to conclusions, assuming things with no proof. And why do they need to know what the new content is? They have a full game there which has had new content added already. They are so impatient. Why should Valve tell us what new content is going to be added? I would rather not know and find out as a surprise.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+11 votes
Arxae
Arxae

its not about whats new in l4d2
its about valve promised to support it, wich they did not :/

Reply Good karma Bad karma+5 votes
BunnyJen
BunnyJen

Newell wrote:Some in the community are concerned that the announcement of L4D2 implied a change in our plans for L4D1. We aren't changing our plans for L4D1...............

Reply Good karma Bad karma+6 votes
selman_akinci Author
selman_akinci

They also said they would release the full SDK few weeks after the launch. You have to watch the second video to have an idea.

Reply Good karma-1 votes
MR.sugar
MR.sugar

Man, you are an idiot, I´m sorry to say that, but it´s fact. For sake god, we all know that Valve is not good in setting release dates! Remember when they released OB SDK? It was couple of months after the release of OB, then they released the beta which was in beta for long time as well.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+5 votes
AlCool Creator
AlCool

(buried)

Most games RELEASE with the tools for modding. A company shouldn't make a release date if they know they won't keep it. "When it's done" is a perfectly valid answer.

Reply Good karma-6 votes
Wills
Wills

Oh dear lord. No, most games do NOT release with the tools for modding, most don't even HAVE tools for modding, and generally they get released after the game comes out. Valve are one of the few developers that actively supports and encourages modding and provides easy to use tools for the fans to use.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+8 votes
BunnyJen
BunnyJen

@selman_akinci Yeah I do have an idea I watched the video and have been following this. Yes I agree the full SDK isn't out but as MR.sugar says......anyone who knows Valve knows their release dates are never set in stone or to be fully relied upon.

As Wills also says, these boycotters want more more more from Valve. Not many companies allow you to play around with their games as much as Valve do, why should they? They don't owe it to us, Valve does it for us and because it supports the community. Now the community are turning it's back on them because they announce a game a year after the first one. Sure It's a bit soon however, people are assuming they are just abandoning L4D1. The entire Valve team are not just working on L4D2. They will have different teams of people working on different things. "Some in the community are concerned that the announcement of L4D2 implied a change in our plans for L4D1. We aren't changing our plans for L4D1." Newell
They will have a team of people working on content for L4D1 at the same time as another team working on l4d2.

Sure they need to hurry up with the SDK but Newell has said it won't be abandoned and Valve are always late with releases.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+8 votes
RockerFox
RockerFox

THANK YOU!!!! Someone who understands logic. I can list about 50 or more games that don't even allow mapping tools let alone what valve gives us. Really they came out with survival mode, they are coming out with the tools to get custom maps working and don't give me that "recycled content" bs because other games do it all the time. Take BF2, they took some large maps. The they scaled the borders down several times then you have three maps, a large one, med one and small one. Bf2142, they did the same thing but when they didn't even bother to scale it, they added the titan and changed the flags to missile launchers. Also how many textures can you do for solid gray walls really? like why should they make 100 diff textures when you have the texture that fits perfectly already so you can go work on something more important? Lastly stop talking about promised content, its getting old. Maybe Valve should save them self the headache next time and say "Since everyone bitched about Dlc for Left 4 Dead we may not have dlc for our next game. You can thank the people in the L4D2 boycott group." But its Valve and its not run by me or owned by anyone in the boycott group thank gawd.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+5 votes
AlCool Creator
AlCool

You mean their map editor. It hardly counts as SDK. Their "NEW L4D update" is complete trash that is nearing release.

And killerfry. Most games that are releasing an ENGINE have far more then the source editor has. IE UT engine.

Reply Good karma+3 votes
CrazyIvan1745
CrazyIvan1745

Why name games that don't support modding when you can basically list all of the engines that do in a VERY small list. The main Engines, would easily be:

Unreal Engine 3
Source Engine
Refractor 2 Engine (BF1942, BFV, BF2, BF2142)

Although, honestly Source is due for an update. It's a nice engine but could be better. While I'm at it, I would also like to point out that I REALLY hope the Frostbite and/or Frostbite 2 Engine will support modding in the future.

Still, I think Valve would really do much better if it released a brand new Game engine for games like Left 4 Dead to build sequels on. That way there is a chance of more graphical features like the zombies having the possibility of being more destructible. Based off the L4D2 demo I see you can blast off certain sections of the zombies, but they are set areas. It would be a bit cooler to rip them apart with hot lead more realistically. This is just my opinion on the matter, and while I plan to buy the game I see reason for some to be upset. I think they will follow their promise to make more DLC for L4D, but don't expect so much from such a large company that is probably cutting employees during the economic depression. All the other game companies have cut back a lot already.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+1 vote
Stockypotty
Stockypotty

Too be honest they have a decent argument. it's not like their not thinking irrationally and they don't seem to have a narrow mind set when they explain what they want. So when looking at both sides of the argument, I have to say that this group holds some very valid points and should be taken seriously.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+8 votes
AlCool Creator
AlCool

Hey look it's someone who has read and understood what the group has put forward. Whether he is in the group or not, at least he understood before flaming/supporting the group. Thx mate!

Reply Good karma+3 votes
Arkanj3l
Arkanj3l

Well, that makes two of you.

Reply Good karma Bad karma-3 votes
XVincentX
XVincentX

I whole heartly agree.

L4D2 shouldn't be (coming) out at all, at least not with so many broken promises :/

FRICKEN LOL AT HITLER!! :D

Reply Good karma Bad karma-1 votes
Hendrix
Hendrix

but they are going against a commercial company, not some nationalised industry, they don't owe you nothing, don't ever think they do.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+6 votes
selman_akinci Author
selman_akinci

(buried)

They dont owe us a new game, they just owe the content they PROMISED, look at the second video...

Reply Good karma-7 votes
Daystranger
Daystranger

Mom promised to buy me a Ferrari if I go to bed early tonight.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+5 votes
RockerFox
RockerFox

lol I was promised that I would get candy if i shot my teammate in the back, I was promised that I was going to get 50$ for cleaning my room, I was promised that Zm_missiles was a good map. People don't need to give you anything and don't owe you anything. Valve could have just told people to deal with the content they had at the game's release but they didn't. I don't know if anyone does think but L4D was a leap of faith, an experiment. They didn't know if it was going to flop, they didn't know if it was going to soar and i can't blame them. The team wanted to do more L4D so they did more L4D. I just think its shallow that people are calling things before L4D2 has gotten the chance to fully show its face.

Reply Good karma Bad karma0 votes
selman_akinci Author
selman_akinci

(buried)

You mean lies are ok? What kind of a human are you? Didn't your mother teach you lieing is bad?

Reply Good karma-7 votes
RockerFox
RockerFox

listen cpt. two shoes. Ive dealt with people lying and this was not a lie. They said they would come out with custom content, they did. They said they would come out with the sdk, they are working on it. Look at above post if you are going to use the very limp and floppy recycled argument. Also you are a two bit lair yourself for having a second account instead of standing behind the l4d2 boycott like a person that has a spine, no matter how silly it is.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+7 votes
selman_akinci Author
selman_akinci

(buried)

Second account has nothing to do with anything. My account stands for 1 human not buying L4D2 and it is exactly that.

Reply Good karma-5 votes
RockerFox
RockerFox

so why don't you use your real account then? Do i sense your doubt in how you feel about this group? or is it just that your the commander that would send his troops to get killed but wont take a step out of the shelter if he had a chance of getting a scratch? If your going to support something at least don't use a fake steam account, it makes you look worse then you already look.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+5 votes
germ1770
germ1770

What is this, a war? It's more like some people don't want to buy a videogame because the company that made it didn't deliver on their promises. Why make it a big deal either way? Just make your choice and sit down and pick your noses again.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+1 vote
MrTambourineMan
MrTambourineMan

SDK (not beta) will be released next week L4d.com

Reply Good karma Bad karma+1 vote
xxstalker24xx
xxstalker24xx

They may not own anything to us, but as buyers and them a company making a product not for THEMSELFS as that DOSNT pay their salaries, its us and they need to keep alot of their community happy. If they say they are gona support a product to a customer and show a lack of it just as they announce their next product, it dosnt show very well for them.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+2 votes
Mainblz
Mainblz

Oh please. Valve did nothing wrong, look at EA for Christ sake. Besides, their still going to make plenty of money, even if Anti-Valve whiners don't buy it.

Reply Good karma Bad karma0 votes
RockerFox
RockerFox

see that is a valid point but Valve did come out with survival mode. They did come out with the versus maps for the other campaign and they are coming out with the sdk. Really though look how long it takes to make content for Tf2 and other games and can you really blame them for taking so long? It can take a long time with other projects and L4D2 coming out (which no one should say anything about since no one has gave it a play through with all the new maps, features and character Easter eggs.) But when you think about it valve is selling less of maps in L4d2 and more of movies that have a plot that can be played out any number of ways. So please don't judge content until it comes out and you have played it yourself. Also Valve never said they would stop making content between L4d2's release and now. They still got about 5 months so just watch, wait and let the world turn.

Reply Good karma Bad karma+1 vote
AlCool Creator
AlCool

Survival mode added 1 map, that is it. Most of what it added should have came on release and would have taken no longer then a week to do.

Reply Good karma+3 votes
Post a comment
Sign in or join with:

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.

Established
Privacy
Public
Subscription
Open to all members
Contact
Send Message
Membership
Join group
Group watch
Follow
News
Browse
News
New
Post news
Report
Report
Share
Related Games
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead First Person Shooter
Left 4 Dead 2
Left 4 Dead 2 First Person Shooter
Related Engines
Source
Source Commercial
Related Groups
Valve
Valve Developer & Publisher