Celaria is a 3D Styled Parkour game which was heavily inspired by Mirror's Edge and Trackmania. You jump from building to building, performing wallruns and using different abilities like Speed-Boost and extremly high jumps to get over your obstacles. The goal is simple: Run to the goal as fast as you can. There are no enemys and no Story. Just one goal: be as fast as you can.
It's sometimes very frustrating for me to not be able to work on Celaria (or game-projects in general) because of school. :(
So, the whole development is very slow.
So, what is the first major update/change?
Well, i changed the Engine from Game Maker 8.1 to Game Maker Studio.
Why? (Especially because i was mostly against GM:Studio in the past)
There are a couple of factors.
The first video is nothing special. I'm just showing, that the basic 3D Engine of Celaria is running in GM:Studio. (It's a silly video, i know. Don't judge me.)
The problem with the "porting" from 8.1 to Studio is, that i have to rewrite a lot of things to make it compactible with Studio. The rendering was one of that things that i had to rewrite.But also the Loading of Maps, the external loading of custom assets, etc...GM:Studio is sandboxed which i have to get used to it.The next video is the new 3D Map editor which was also ported to GM:studio to make it compactible
As you can see, the editor also looks different. The old editor used the context-menus to edit the entitys in the scene. Because studio didn't support context-menus anymore, i was forced to change the whole control of the editor.
Also at the end of the Video you can see that the game uses now Polygon based collisions.
Previously the game used sprite-based collision checks on the xy axis. Because of the sprites, i needed to have a coordinate system with a very high resolution.Something like 1 meter = 32 or 64 Pixels. The less pixels per meter had, the less accuracy i got for the collisions.
This lead to some problems on the rendering side.The z-buffer wasn't able to achieve a high precision because of the very high numbers in the coordinate system. Now, because of the Polygons, i can scale the whole scene down. (Something like 1 Meter = 1 Pixel)without loosing collision-accuracy. This should also fix some precision issues in the z-buffer.
That was all for now. :)
See you in the next update.
Latest tweets from @darklewa
Currently coding the game-menu from scratch. It's a bit tedious. Next point on the list after finishing the menu: Spectator Mode.
Mar 2 2014, 2:24pm
@jol4n100 Let's say it is going to be a surprise. Both technically and gameplaywise. ;)
Feb 23 2014, 5:51pm
Working on a gamemode which starts with a "m" and ends with a "r". Now try to figure out what it is. ;P
Feb 22 2014, 9:26am
A bit late, but anyway: Here is the new video: T.co
Jan 26 2014, 10:02am
3D animations are now working properly in GM: Studio. Uploading a new video to youtube as soon as possible.
Jan 21 2014, 1:55pm
Found out that my Quad Core is only running at 2.0GHz instead of 2.5GHz. This explains the relatively low performance... that's great...
Jan 17 2014, 5:00pm
Probably found a way for implementing vertex-animations in GM:S. Not as "good" as in GM 8.1 but it's better than nothing.
Jan 10 2014, 3:56pm
Found another way of doing collision checks! This should increase performance greatly. (Using simple rectangle-circle coll instead of polys)
Dec 19 2013, 5:05pm
Optimized the polygon-collisions in Celaria. 30000 Blocks in the scene don't slow the game down. T.co
Dec 13 2013, 4:31pm
Trying to figure out, how to pass an additional mesh/vertex information to a shader in GM:S. (for 3D animation) Not easy...
Dec 10 2013, 10:47am