Forum Thread
MGS 4 - best FPS in the world? (Forums : Console Gaming : MGS 4 - best FPS in the world?) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4
SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jun 8 2008 Anchor

Hell, now I DO wish I had a Play Station 3. It was pretty obvious for a long time that the fourth part of MGS was turning out into an amazing game. Twenty years to develop your game and story - ten years in 3D - is a lot to get your message across and MGS 4 is more than just a shooter. It has a deep story, which can sometimes make it hard for an author to stick to the point. I think, hope, MGS 4 manages to make you feel something for its characters again.

However - I don't own a PS3, so I won't be able to play this game (for now). Does anyone know, if it will ever be released to PC?
I wonder, how it can be possible for a game to score that great in every single review! I have only read few bad things about MGS 4 and I'd like to know what those people, who have a PS3 and play the game think about the reviews and the game itself.

What are the (three) main reasons, why MGS 4 is a better game than its predecessors? And how does it differ from other FPS-games? What makes it so special and justifies the very good rating in reviews?

Maybe I should hold this post, until the game is actually released, but I guess we can speculate and see how it really turns out later.

BrokenTripod
BrokenTripod Mapping now =O
Jun 8 2008 Anchor

You know it's not actually a FPS, right?

Although, apparently you can play it like one...I saw a video a while ago showing how diverse the control schemes/setting/whatever it's called is/are.

It's looking pretty insane, and I honestly think I might get a PS3 just for MGS4. Anything else I buy would just be an afterthought. I just wish they could drop the price a bit more. It's still insanely expensive.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jun 8 2008 Anchor

It's not as good as the reviews make out - in fact all of the reviews have been published based on certain 'criteria' set by the publisher - don't meet the criteria? Can't publish your review, says the preview contract. It's in fact probably not different to the three predecessors at all.

Wraiyth
Wraiyth That Guy Who Does Those Things With The Stuff
Jun 8 2008 Anchor

Yeah, its pretty dodgy with the criteria they said. For instance, the cutscenes and the fact that it required an installation wasn't allowed to be mentioned in reviews. Not a game I'll be playing anytime soon.

raxiv
raxiv I would, if I were you.
Jun 10 2008 Anchor

No "Best FPS in the world" will ever be operated by a gamepad. Not in my little world, oh no. And I think others think the same. Not mention that MGS is not an FPS but an TPP-esque game *i think*?

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jun 10 2008 Anchor

Well technically you can play this like any other FPS and the amount of weapons makes every kind of game play imaginable. It just wouldn't be the smartest way to play...
I think this is an awesome game and probably one of the best games I have seen so far. If I had a PS3, I'd certainly hit it.
It's not only the amount of features, its' how they are implemented. Watching some of those gameplay vids made me smile or drop jaw with awe. The ways you can stir a distraction are open to your imagination. I hope this is a good game, because sooner or later I'm gonna play it!

--

User Posted Image

ambershee
Jun 10 2008 Anchor

Did you never play NOLF 2 :P?

Jun 10 2008 Anchor

MGS4 Pushes the boundaries of the Game vs Art debate, it blurs the line. This is probably the only reason that I can see it doing so well. The story is amazing, the game play is fun and tactical - meaning its not a typical brain dead shooter, and it has a lot of content backing it. MGS4 will definitely save the PS3 and I think will be remembered more so than GTA4 as its innovating far more. In the end though I find most reviewers are going to be biased no matter what. Once I've finished the game I'll either come out like in MGS2 happy, or like with MGS3 pissed off at Hideo Kojima for making crap :D.

I'm just hoping he makes Snatcher 2 next :( Snatcher ftw.

BrokenTripod
BrokenTripod Mapping now =O
Jun 11 2008 Anchor

You didn't like 3?

I've loved all of them so far. Though I must admit some of portions of the game just get tedious.

Can't wait for this one. Though they neeeeed to make it so you can pause a cutscene. As far as I know, the other ones haven't had this feature. It makes me sad.

ambershee
Jun 11 2008 Anchor

Engadget.com

I couldn't help but laught at the lame product placement.

More to the point, I'll get a bit worried when a console game requires an install *and* two DVDs. I'm not sure what they're getting at.

Edited by: ambershee

AJ_Quick
AJ_Quick Arty type thing
Jun 11 2008 Anchor

ambershee wrote: Did you never play NOLF 2 :P?

Here's me agreeing that NOLF is awesome.

Want to play MGS4, but i dont own a console...so.. damn

--

"I will play but only if there is clopping" - Alex Quick, Sep 15 2012, 6:56am

Whizzard
Whizzard Accepted membrane
Jun 11 2008 Anchor

ambershee wrote: More to the point, I'll get a bit worried when a console game requires an install *and* two DVDs. I'm not sure what they're getting at.

They are getting to the point where consoles are becoming gaming PCs. Soon they'll create their own OS for consoles and Apple suddenly starts to make commercials about how bad consoles are when compared to Apple computers.

--

leilei wrote: i hear theres this concept called money you get free stuff if you give the stores this 'money', you can get almost anything you want with money!

Jun 11 2008 Anchor

BrokenTripod wrote: You didn't like 3?

3 Added a stack of backstory that was unnecessary and confusing, despite that the gameplay was exceptional and incredibly fun, it was the story that ultimately let the game down - I've actually stated before that MGS3 was nothing more than a filler for MGS4 in that they had some of the plot story already and just decided to make a separate game instead. It'll all make sense once they explain who Eva really is.

Midnitte
Midnitte Visual Prophet
Jun 15 2008 Anchor

Just got the game today... and omg... so.. much... fun...
I LUVE YOU BARREL!

--

Jun 15 2008 Anchor

Got it today. Played it. The best MGS game, the best game of the year, and arguably one of the best games of all time. If you deny that, play the game first, then you'll see why.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jun 15 2008 Anchor

I thought so...always!

So how are the cutscenes? I read the longest plays 45 minutes, straight. How does that mix with the game play, isn't it strange to suddenly watch an excellent machinima, instead of playing a great game?

Edited by: SinKing

Jun 15 2008 Anchor

No. It transitions very, very well. It's as if you're still playing. The way that the camera plays around, and then all of a sudden, the user interface sort of blends in as you take over, giving it this really nice cinematic feel. I never felt like I was taken out of the experience. I have not come to the part where I'm sitting for 45 minutes, but honestly, the story is so interesting and so... intelligent, that I don't really care. Even if it means you're watching half a movie, this game feels like you're smashing a very enjoyable game with a very enjoyable movie. I especially like the war atmosphere. Right now, I'm siding with the rebels, but next game, I'll side with the government. I can't wait.

--

Whizzard
Jun 16 2008 Anchor

Only thing is that... hand-to-hand combat seems to really suck.

--

leilei wrote: i hear theres this concept called money you get free stuff if you give the stores this 'money', you can get almost anything you want with money!

Hanzie
Hanzie Read. Read Code. Code.
Jun 16 2008 Anchor

Got the game too. So far it has been an awesome experience!

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jun 16 2008 Anchor

God - does everybody but me own a PS3??? I am always about to buy myself one, but on the other hand I really need an Intuos tablet and that's about the same price like MGS and the console. I don't feel it's worth buying the PS3 for the few great, exclusive games. Has anyone got an idea, if the game will be ported to PC? I don't mind waiting a year, but I nnnnneeeeeeeed to play this!!!

--

User Posted Image

Sallycin
Sallycin Mystical
Jun 16 2008 Anchor

I haven't played it, so realize that I'm basing my conceptions off speculation and reviews I've read. However, it appears to me that MGS4 is just a package for a hugely convoluted but interesting story that would be better suited for an anime or film. Nice cut scenes or not, I play a game to play a game, not watch a series of sub-par CG movies. Use the medium properly and don't make excuses about how "LOOK you can kinda rotate the camera in the cut scenes. Interactivity! Zing!"

Edited by: Sallycin

Gibberstein
Gibberstein Generic Coder Type Thing
Jun 16 2008 Anchor

I haven't seen much of the game yet, since I have to borrow time on other people's hardware too, but in the first ten minutes I saw cutscenes that really annoyed me for being more movie than game, just like you said. The cool stuff happened during the cutscene, then when the cutscene was over everything calmed down. I wanted to be playing that bit, not watching it!

It really does want to be a film, not a game, and all too often it shows.

--

"lets say Portal is a puzzle game, so its a rehash of Tetris"
- Wraiyth points out the craziness of stereotyping games by their genre

Jun 16 2008 Anchor

You both need to play it before you judge it that way, though. The MGS series is known for those types of cutscenes, but honestly, the gameplay is fantastic. It's really exciting. Hell, you get what appears to be 20 hours of gameplay (not to mention the online mode) with perhaps 2-3 hours of cutscenes. The story is such an amazing experience (it really envokes emotions) that I personally don't mind it. It may not be everyone's cup of tea if you're looking for nonstop gameplay, but the series was never supposed to be that way.

--

Hanzie
Hanzie Read. Read Code. Code.
Jun 17 2008 Anchor

A game is all about the experience it gives you and those cut scenes really add something to the experience!

Whizzard
Jun 17 2008 Anchor

I'm kind of really a sheep between two haystacks. I want Xbox 360 because it's cheaper and better than PS3, but i want PS3 because of the many great exclusive games it offers. Especially i want Fable 2 (X360 only) and MGS4 equally but they both will land on different consoles. But it seems pretty sure that both MGS4 and Fable 2 will end on PC eventually, but I really don't want to wait. :(

--

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.