Patch 5.1.4 released!
We're happy to announce the release of our 5.1.4 hotfix. While the changes were originally intended for 5.2, we felt that some of these improvements were too significant for us to needlessly hold on to it. It doesn't fix every bug reported, but it should improve your mod experience nonetheless.
A few notes:
- If you're having trouble unzipping the download folder, try this mirror.
- If you have B-DizL's mini-mod installed, uninstall it. It may conflict with some of our new changes.
- While a campaign restart probably isn't required to see most improvements, the patch will not take full effect unless you start a new game.
The key change in this update is that autoresolve imbalances are fixed: artillery and machineguns no longer have ridiculous autoresolve advantages. This bug has plagued TGW since some of its earliest updates, and long-time fans will surely be pleased to say "good riddance" - myself included.
This change appears to have some significant propagative effects on the mod in general. In battles, we see an AI which now targets all of your units, rather than just artillery, and possibly better AI tactics overall. We also expect that the issue of spontaneous routing has been fixed.
In the campaign, several campaigns have shown a much stronger Germany (see teaser), which typically holds its own against France and Russia. Austria-Hungary has seen similar improvements, and, along with Russia, appears to be more active than before. This effect may transfer to other nations that may have been hampered by unfair AI vs AI battle resolution.
Finally, we've tried to locate and address some of the campaign crash bugs. One of these has been definitively fixed, and campaign play-throughs by the team have not resulted in any crashes. However, some of the areas where users have identified problems, such as the improved field gun technology, don't appear to have any problems associated with them. We're therefore not sure to what extent campaign crashes have been reduced, but please let us know if you used to have problems and no longer do.
- autoresolve imbalance fixed
- unit voice bug fixed
- greater AI emphasis on artillery
- trench warfare doctrine research time reduced
- tachanka machinegun unit disabled
- autonomy building disabled
- airports now buildable in fort slots
- farms and airports separated
- fixed tactical mode building distortions
- highlanders and new zealanders made recruitable
- Ottoman campaign map models no longer vanilla
- tactical and classic scales brought up to date
We hope you enjoy, and let us know if you see any improvements!
~The Great War Dev Team
PS. Picture courtesy of ZeEmperor from TWC.