What is this?
This is a mod from R4L(me) and ThatOneRandomDude that adds 3D models to Metroid Dreadnought, and fixes a few other problems so it can run in the latest GZDoom. This originally started as a joint venture between RockstarRaccoon and myself, but considering the fallout he's had and the overall reputation of this failed "Metroid Doom" mod, I figured I could at least upload my share of work from that project and integrate it into the base mod so that it isn't entirely lost and distance myself from the drama. I've been working with this mod on and off for 3 years (6 years now!) learning my way around modding tools, and this is kind of the culmination of that. While this isn't a ton of stuff, it's work that I'm semi-happy about, and feel that maybe it could improve this already fantastic mod some more.
- New and improved HUD! Now at a higher resolution and re-arranged to look more like Prime! All new hand-drawn HUD graphics by ThatOneRandomDude!
- New items and abilities! Charge up a shinespark and get to those hard to reach places! Pick up the Varia Suit for additional protection and physical defense, and the Gravity Suit for free underwater/lava movement! Pick up items in morph ball form! Acquire the Charge Beam and charge up, now with the added ability to fire half-charge shots and pull-in items from a distance ala Metroid Prime! Use the Grapple Beam to swing from fixed grapple points!
- Experience a true Metroid single player experience. Players only start with the Power Beam, and have to acquire the rest of Samus' upgrades as they play. Items have been tiered so that all playthroughs feel natural and critical items are found early on.
- A WIP Scan Visor! Currently some items can be scanned but the idea is to unlock certain buffs on enemies.
- Optimizations for certain attacks! Wave Missile combo has been toned down drastically so that it doesn't kill FPS or everything in sight anymore. Hyper Beam is lag free! Charging is slightly faster. Bombs are changed to recharge like Prime. Overall, various beam changes has been made for better balance.
- Improved jumping similar to Mario. Make small hops or hold down Jump to maximize your jump height!
- More CVars to customize your playthrough. Play with the default missile/power bomb cap or turn them off, disable that annoying Speedbooster flash, change values like pull distance for Charge Beam, Shinespark/Boostball velocity and more!
How To Play:
You will need GZDoom 4.8.0+ to play Demon Hunter. It will not work with Zandronum!
Use a launcher like ZDL to correctly launch the mod. The order of .pk3s should be:
You will have to set your controls in-game before you can properly play. Morph Ball defaults to Z, Shinespark defaults to X, Scan Visor defaults to F.
NOTE ON MULTIPLAYER: Not advised! Demon Hunter is focused on a single player experience! Your mileage may vary!
Demon Hunter comes with a revised levels WAD that came with Metroid Dreadnought originally. There's also a quickly made map for learning the shinespark technique and a test map to try the Grapple Beam and Scan Visor.
Currently there is a single campaign map in progress. You can load it by opening the console with ~ and typing map arrival.
...you add to it!
I started off just adding some lava sections to test the gravity suit when I add it in, and now its gotten completely out of control. It's becoming more of a tech demo now to show off what can be accomplished with MDO.
Check my 10 minute exploration video to see.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add file and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.