This tutorial covers the installation of White Night, but since it is a total conversion for Amnesia: The Dark Descent, it also applies every total conversion mod.
First of all, I don't have a Mac, so Mac information is completely theoretical.
What is a Total Conversion?
This wiki article pretty much explains the basics of a total conversion mod in general. Since total conversion mods are NOT custom stories, basic way of installing custom stories won't work. I mean, if you put White Night into your custom_stories folder, it won't show up because the structure is completely different.
Default installation folder of Amnesia is:
- for Steam:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent
- for Retail:
C:\Program Files\Amnesia - The Dark Descent\redist
When you open this folders, you will see your Amnesia.exe; and this is your root folder.
Now, open the file you downloaded, white_night.zip, open the white_night folder inside it; and copy everything you see there to your ROOT FOLDER; where your Amnesia.exe is.
- Please not that, if your Amnesia installation is installed in a language other than English, you might need to set your main game to English. You can solve this issue by doing these:
"Change startlanguage=YourLanguage to startlanguage=english in main_settings.cfg, just that."
- If Steam doesn't work for White_Night.bat; try to exit Steam completely, then double click on White_Night.bat. This will open Steam again and this time White Night will work.
- 'I had the same "Amnesia.exe cause an EXCEPTION_ACCES_VIOLATION in module Amnesia.exe at 0023:004A67A8" error, reinstalled in English language and still wasn't able to run it. Then i deleted the Amnesia folder in C:/users/"your account name"/my documents, the one that have my profile and saves (Of course i made a backup of the folder), and finally got it running. Hope it helps others with this issue."'
There is a Frictional Games Support entry which covers the basic process thoroughly and it explains better than me: Support.frictionalgames.com
This one is a bit tricky. If you installed Amnesia as an application:
- Right click amnesia.app and choose Show Package Contents
or, if you are using Steam (credits to: Zumper):
- Add the files in "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/amnesia the dark descent/"
- Go on Steam, and then Set Launch Options
- Add wn_config/main_init.cfg
- Click on OK, and then start the game and your done!
This will open your root folder. Do the same extraction with Windows. However, keep in mind that .bat files doesn't work on Mac. So here's how you run White Night:
- Open the terminal and then you can type (assuming you installed Amnesia in Applications):
open /Applications/Amnesia.app --args wn_config/main_init.cfg
- You can also use Applescript and create bat like launcher:
Go to Applications/Utilities and start the AppleScript Editor then type:
do shell script "open /Applications/Amnesia.app --args wn_config/main_init.cfg"
and save as... Application and then it is good to go.
Installation is same as Windows, but this time you have to have proper rights for your Amnesia folder. Also, keep in mind that .bat files doesn't work on Linux either.
After installed, open a terminal and navigate it to your Amnesia installation folder, where your Amnesia.bin or Amnesia.bin64 exists, then run the Amnesia with adding wn_config/main_init.cfg to your command line.
You can use Desura to install White Night, or any other total conversion mod for Amnesia, on your Windows or Linux machines. It works perfectly.