Western Europe 410-962 - The Winter King
v1.7.1 - compatible with CK2 patch 22.214.171.124.
Western Europe 410-962 - The Winter King is a total overhaul mod for Crusader Kings II, set in Western Europe in the Early Middle Ages. A wide array of characters, ranging from Arthur to Clovis and even Beowulf, is playable, and as the mod is still under development, more will undoubtedly follow.
The mod MUST be placed in your documents folder (<your user documents>\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod), and NOT in the game main folder. Also make sure you delete any older versions of the mod (including "Britannia.mod") and the settings folder (usually it is <your user documents>\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\Britannia) before installing the latest release.
Isinfier's portraits have been added as an additional module. DO NOT enable the The Winter King - Portraits submod unless you have all of the required portrait packs (Celtic, Norse, Mongol, and Early Western Portraits), as otherwise you will face graphical issues.
- A completely new map covering Britain, Ireland and part of modern-day France.
- A campaign scenario starting in 479 AD, and revolving around two major struggles: the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain, and the religious conflict between the ancient british Gods and the "new" catholic faith. The campaign end date is set to 867 AD.
- Custom Events and Storylines. There are hundreds of new or modified events, including a search for the legendary thirteen Treasures of Britain (choose the ambition "Restore the Old Gods"), a basic druid selection and education system, events regarding Anglo-Saxon and Frankish invasions, religious conversions, trading routes with the Mediterranean sea, seasonal events, and much more.
- A number of new traits, modifiers, decisions and ambitions/objectives.
- A dynamic 'Music Module'
- A dynamic 'de jure' map system that allows multiple 'de jure' map configurations.
- Custom buildings, appropriate for post-roman Britain. Several of them are culture-based or terrain-based. Many unique historical buildings (the baths of Aquae Sulis, the tidal bay of Mont Saint Michel, etc.). All buildings have a larger array of effects compared to vanilla. Barracks, stables and military buildings, for example, will reduce your tax income, increase risk of disease, and so on. There are custom building "sets" for specific purposes: justice buildings to reduce revolt risk, health buildings to prevent diseases, smiths and forges to improve your units effectiveness, etc.
- Culture-based de jure titles and kingdoms. In 479 AD most of Britain is divided among British, Romano-British and Cumbrian kingdoms. However, with the Anglo-Saxon invasions new de jure (non titular) kingdoms and jarldoms will slowly emerge: Mercia, Northumbria, Lindsey, Bernicia, Deira, and so on. Each title has different requirements and some of them may never appear, but in the long run at least some of these new Anglo-Saxon realms will pop up and grow, aggregate, etc.
- New military unit types (there were no knights or pikemen in 5th century) and combat tactics.
- Custom graphics, artwork, icons, portraits, etc.
How does the de jure change system work?
The Anglo-Saxon duchies will appear de jure once they are formed, under their respective kingdoms. Frankish titles will appear after either the duchy or the kingdom above it has been formed. Briton titles will reappear as the formable Anglo-Saxon duchies are completely reconquered, and they can recreate their own titles on Anglia and Cantia by creating Icenia and Cantuaria, respectively. Romans have a more complex system; formable Frankish duchies will be removed once they are removed, but duchies on the starting Frankish territory will form de jure as they are created, similarly to the Anglo-Saxon model. Broceliande, Benoic, the Visigoths, and the Burgundians are re-integrated once they have been completely reconquered, and Britannia will be re-integrated after you take the Ius Imperii Decision, available after forming the Gallic Empire and conquering most of the important cities of Britannia.
I've just reloaded a save game and all the de jure changes have reverted. What do I do?
Because of the way the game engine currently works, we can't save county de jure changes in the savegames. To get around this, there are hidden events that trigger after a day to reset the de jure setup to what it should be.
How do I form Britannia?
As the adult (over 20), male king of one of the Briton, Romano-British, or Cumbric kingdoms, you will see the decision to claim the High King of Britannia. Once you have fulfilled all the requirements and taken that decision, each of the other kings will be asked if they will support your claim but remain independent, support your claim and swear fealty to you, or dispute your claim. If your claim is disputed, you will have the choice to back down, which means that you will be unable to claim the High Kingship for the next 5 years; possibly bribe him, which will make him a full supporter; or declare war. If you win he will be forced to accept your claim and you will be able to claim the High Kingship again, but if you white peace or lose your character will never again be able to claim the High Kingship. Once all the other kings have supported you, you will gain the High Kingship, and any king that supported you fully or was beaten in battle will become your vassal.
How do I form Aenglaland?
The system is much the same as that of Britannia, but with the additional limitation that there must be at least 3 independent Anglo-Saxon kings ruling kingdoms of the Heptarchy.
Is this compatible with any other mods?
Unless they have explicitly said so and/or made a special compatibility patch, then most likely no.
What DLCs is this mod compatible with?
All DLCs are compatible with this mod, though some (e.g. Sword of Islam, Sunset Invasion, etc.) do not (currently) have any ingame effects. Just leave all your DLCs enabled.
Does this mod require any DLCs?
No, although The Old Gods is highly recommended due to the large amount of pagans at start. Celtic Portraits, Norse Portraits and Early Western Portraits are also suggested in order to cause characters to appear as we intended them to look.
I've noticed a bug, or something doesn't seem right. What do I do?
Report the bug in the thread. Make sure to report everything that seems buggy, no matter how small or minor; it might be 5-minute fix, but it'll never get fixed if we don't know about it! If it happens in a certain situation, be sure to keep a save; we'll often ask for one, since it makes reproducing the bug much faster and easier.
The mod always crashes right before it finishes loading, no matter how many times I install and re-install it. What do I do?
This mod uses a large, detailed physical/terrain map, which can be too much for weaker computers to handle. Try disabling trees and other terrain features in settings.txt to reduce the load, but otherwise your computer may simply not be powerful enough to run the mod. We will be looking at making the map easier to render in the future.
For more information, and for a full list of included mods and contributors, visit our thread on the Paradox forums: Forum.paradoxplaza.com
We're also active on 4chan, specifically the /gsg/ threads. Any poster claiming to be us is an imposter, unless they use this tripcode: !!IU+3RjeYoJI
Pretty soon after version 1.7.1 of our mod was released earlier this month, we got reports of some big bugs. We are therefore happy to announce the release of version 1.7.2, which is, just like the previous version, completely compatible with CK2 version 126.96.36.199 and the Jade Dragon dlc. See our thread on the official Paradox forums for more information and a changelog. We are happy to hear all your compliments, criticisms and reactions.
Release of version 1.7.1 of The Winter King, compatible with CKII version 188.8.131.52.
Version 1.6.0 of our mod has finally been released.
Version 1.5.0 of our mod has finally been released.
Version 1.4.0 of our mod has finally been released.
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add file and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.