After about another 15 months, a new update to NR is here. Life is still busy, but among changes are a fix for "jamming" shotguns, 64 new worldtiles...
"Naferia's Reign: Invasion of the Dark Mistress" is a 12-1/2 year long project for the BUILD-engine title "Duke Nukem 3D", though not all of those year had progress due to HDD failures destroying older versions.
It is hard to put this mod into anything like a one-line summary, as it can't do the feature list here justice. :P
One of the chief features of NR is the RPG-style mechanics mixed with traditional style FPS gaming, such as having improvable stats for Health/Armor/Attack/Defense/Speed, and being able to level up. Other elements include an extended inventory system to carry lots of items. Status buffs/ailments are present as well. But the most important feature of the RPG-style system is by far the multiple-character system. Unlike Hexen and it's ilk where you choose one character to use for the entire game, in NR you find new characters and increase the size of your group and can switch between them at will.
- Play as Duke Nukem and up to 14 additional characters, each with their own special abilities and such. All of these characters are also in one large party, RPG-style, not like Hexen's method of selecting 'classes'.
- Monster interactivity is improved. Monsters can now drown, take damage from slime, pick up health and armor, and even pick up powerups laying around.
- Players and Monsters alike may level up and increase their stats as they fight.
- TEN difficulty levels from "Eat it Boy, Eat it!" to "The End of Your Destiny"
- Customized menu system from choosing your characters, looking through your items and other methods.
- Several classic-Duke3D bug fixes, including "teleporting Trooper damage", "Shrunken monster damage" and more.
- Status Ailments and Buffs for players [monsters might come later]
- More you will need to check out the site and play to game to discover!
- Numeric Keypads can be used for accessing doors and security. [NEW in 4.82]
- Hand Scanner switches allow to limit switch access to only one or a couple of specific characters per scanner. [NEW in 4.82]
- Four new keycard colors(Blood, Brown, Green, Silver), and two new keypad readers to support these new colors. [NEW in 4.82]
- Airbubbles will restore your air supply underwater as well as your scuba gear. [NEW in 4.85]
- Shops are now available in the game [via the DEALER actor for now] [NEW in 4.85]
- Fall-damage system revamped to be more like classic Duke again. [NEW in 4.85]
- New Radar System that displays actors on the overhead view as arrows. An item must be found to use it though[MERCURYCOMPUTER]. [NEW in 4.88]
- The displays for the basic stats and the menus and shops are changed and optimized for better clarity and less obstructions and more user-friendliness in general. [NEW in 4.88]
Recreated versions of the original damagefloor textures that can be quickly utilized by placing an INITIALIZER[#17] sprite in a map. [NEW in 4.88]
- Most Pickups in the Game can now be stored to your inventory for later use if needed. [NEW IN 5.11]
- Drivable Vehicles: Empty Pigcop Riot Tanks can be found and driven in three different colors: Green, Blue and Red. Each has their own pair of attacks and other functionalities. [NEW IN 5.12]
Requires EDuke32 [included in downloads] to play.
The HRP is not required to play this at the time, although there is since January of 2010 an HRP download for NR itself.
This mod is not made for Multi-Player. The game will go out of sync if so.
It is highly recommended to play at at least a resolution of 1024x768 or greater so the displays don't look too large.
Note: Go to the homepage for the most recent downloads first. >.>
* CHANGELOG *
+ Weapon Bugfix: A critically annoying bug concerning the Shotgun randomly 'jamming' after switching characters was FINALLY fixed after having been around since the inception of the multi-character system. Hint to all future developers of mods like this, make sure the player struct called "random_club_frame" is reset to 0 upon switching characters. The problem was linked to having the shrinker/expander [or any weapon with a 'glowing' component] selected on one character and then switching straight to another character currently equipped with a Shotgun.
+ Jump Mechanics: Jumping is redone. No more sudden decceleration and reacceleration in midjump when jumping really high. Crouching and then jumping causes you to jump very low [the old system meant if you released crouch while in the middle of the jump you suddenly went from hugging the floor to launching into the air XD]. Also, air-jumps are now only 2/3s as powerful as a normal ground-launched jump. Crouching while falling will also SLIGHTLY increase a character's falling resistance to help reduce potential impact damage.
+ Display Bugfix: Fixed it where having undamaged SuperArmor would cause the description for damaged/used Super Armor to display in the inventory screen if you highlight it's blank spot holder
+ Bug Fixes: Fixed a bug where invulnerable monsters can kill or affect a player by getting within range of one of their deployed Holoforms.
+ Feature Change: ATMs are changed. Cancelling from Deposits, Withdrawls and Wire Transfers go back to the options screen after an account login instead of completely logging the character out.
+ Feature Change: If you hold extra Duke3D-inventory items in your main inventory, you can press that item's respective button to give the current character one of that item if he/she is not currently carrying one directly already. [Applies to Portable Medikits, Holoforms, pairs of Night Vision Goggles, Jetpacks and Vitamin Xs]
+ Feature Change: Picking up a Duke3D-inventory item when the character has a partially depleted item of that kind in use, will instead put the item into the main inventory instead of refilling the partially-depleted item. [Applies to Portable Medikits, Holoforms, pairs of Night Vision Goggles, Scuba Tanks, pairs of Protective Boots, Jetpacks and Vitamin Xs]
+ Weapon Change: Pressing "4" will now cycle two firing modes for the chaingun, for those bitching at me they want the old chaingun back, you can now switch between bullets and rockets. :P
+ Displays: The weapons bar will show "4B"/"4R" and "5G"/"5S" to designate which mode of weapons 4 and 5 are current in use.
+ Worldtiles: A new set of 64 worldtiles have been added to the game's code, making up a total of 256 [from 19