Contrary to popular opinion, Rebirth didn't die, it just got put on the back burner for a while. Since Christmas 2011, I've been working on a PSX Disc One beta to be released as a demo / early version sometime around the end of next month / May 2012.
As proof, here's a video of me fighting the Materia Keeper, here called a Hexadragon to hint at his ice-weak, fire-absorbing elemental affinities. Rebirth's enemies are divided up into a small number of memorable classes with particular weaknesses and resistances, and often renamed to hint at those classes. It's just one of the things that (I hope) will make Rebirth a fun mod to play.
The disc one demo will include
- New materia and magic, including the much-desired water, wind and holy spells
- Rebalanced limit breaks
- Completely new equipment, with an emphasis on double-edged 'sidegrades' rather than 'upgrades'
- Enemies with more intuitive status and elemental vulnerabilities
- Stronger creatures and a noticeably increased difficulty
- More steals and higher steal-rates, finally making steal useful.
- The new 'disease' status, where Poison stops creatures from healing
- The 'defence break' mechanic