So we want to bring Team Fortress to AvP2. It shouldn't be too difficult, all of the weapons we need are already in AvP2, and configuring armor and run speeds and whatnot isn't too hard. What we need, however, is input on how this should go down, and modders to make the more difficult things happen, like possibly adding new weapons and more importantly, new GAME MODES, like Capture the Flag or Assault, things that teams do that aren't Team Deathmatch. However, this is AvP2 Fortress, so everything should have an AvP2 twist to it. Like Preds and Aliens on the teams realistically, but not whorishly. No Predator rocket-launcher guys, for example, but a Predator as the Spy, a class that's supposed to cloak and primarily use a knife anyway. -- SMID
We made good progress implementing the CTF gameplay, and we're happy to showcase it with a video!
Posted by Herr_Alien on May 29th, 2008
We are glad to announce that good progress has been made in implementing the CTF game mode mechanics:
A short description as to what's going in the video:
- 00:00-00:10 - configuring the server and selecting the CTF testbench map
- 00:10-00:16 - capturing the blue flag
- 00:16-00:20 - red team scores
- 00:20-00:37 - the blue flag is captured again, but it's dropped due to character change.
- 00:37-00:50 - the red demolitions picks it up again, and scores.
- 00:50-01:08 - the red demolitions makes another capture, then changes teams, becoming a blue demolitions. The blue flag is dropped.
- 01:08-01:20 - the blue demolitions retrieves the blue flag.
- 01:20-01:35 - the blue demolitions captures the red flag, then changes (yep, again ...) the team, becoming a red demolitions. The red flag is dropped.
- 01:35-01:43 - the red demolitions captures the blue flag
- 01:43-01:46 - the red demolitions returns the red flag (dropped at 01:35 by the blue demolitions)
- 01:46-01:50 - the red demolitions can now scores (which he eventually does)
- 02:00-02:15 - the perspective of capturing the flag and scorring while using the runner character.
For a higher quality version of the movie, head to the videos section.
As you also noticed from the video, there is no scoring mechanism set up. Yet. Also not in the video, two minutes after droping the flag, it will be automatically reset (returned to it's home base).
The following alpha builds will be focus on improving the scorring mechanisms, for both WAR game mode and the upcomming CTF game mode.