With great thanks to everyone who tried and tested the beta and supported the game during its creation, I'm proud to announce that SYNSO: Squid Harder v1.0 is now complete and ready to download. The feedback I received helped shape what turned into v1.0 and all of it proved invaluable. I thank you all. You're great. Rather than expend energy on extra levels, given the game was already feeling pretty complete I opted to settle with just the 4. Tidied up a few loose ends, tightened up some stuff including the scoring, new accessibility stuff and a new enemy to change the dynamic of play a tad.
Naturally, it's not over yet and after a small break, I'll be revisiting this and adding some new content along the way but for now, it's complete and ready to go. Enjoy!
SYNSO: SQUID HARDER
So, some new stuff, some old stuff, some changed stuff. What's different in v1.0?
Changes since the beta version:
- Changes in scoring: The faster you shoot an enemy, the higher the score. Clear them off before they score low points.
- Backgrounds: New background images. Can be turned on/off in the options screen.
- New title sequence and game end. Just a little bit flashier.
- New enemy: The chaser. Rides the edges of the screen bringing death and destruction to anyone it touches. Ok, it's just a blob but it doesn't hurt to make it sound grandiose. Does not appear in practice mode.
- More Motion Blur Options: From none to silliest.
- Closed Captions: On screen display of audio cues.
- Various misc. bugfixes. Lots. And lots.
Stuff that didn't make the cut in the end:
- Extra levels. Sorry. Ran out of ideas and the will to live.
- Alternate controls. Tried. Didn't work. Broke the game design. So no go.
- Colour blindness support. Broke at the last minute. Took it out. Will patch in at a later date after a small break.