Forum Thread
DOOM 3 BFG EDITION ANNOUNCED (Forums : Console Gaming : DOOM 3 BFG EDITION ANNOUNCED) Locked
Thread Options
Ronnie42
Ronnie42 God Of Destruction
May 30 2012 Anchor

I know its been out on the original xbox but its coming to the 360 with achievements, thankfully now means I can go into party chat, play the game.

It will be out for both 360, ps3, will contain the original doom 3 and expansion, 'lost mission', all the original doom classics.

Also can't wait for this since played every doom, every version of doom from the pc to nearly every port, can't get enough of it since one of my favorite franchises.

Quote from video:

"
DOOM 3 BFG Edition is the ultimate collection of groundbreaking
games that defined the first person shooter. It includes DOOM, DOOM 2,
DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, as well as the 'Lost Mission.'
All DOOM 3 content has been re-mastered for PlayStation 3 in stunning
3D for an even more terrifying FPS experience.
"

Edited by: Ronnie42

--

Doom compile project: link (Taking a break), original game's design project: link (Back to working on it)

zekio309
zekio309 Student
May 30 2012 Anchor

thanks doom... now I'm gonna be bankrupt ;(. looks awesome, cant wait to see how they did with remastering it.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
May 30 2012 Anchor

Visually it looks like it's gone backwards.

May 30 2012 Anchor

I honestly couldn't spot any visual changes at all -- good or bad.

Ronnie42
May 30 2012 Anchor

Visual changes or not I can't wait for this so always looks great to me. :lol:

--

Doom compile project: link (Taking a break), original game's design project: link (Back to working on it)

Silvermarch
Silvermarch Stand User
May 30 2012 Anchor

lol, one main difference is shoulder-mounted flashlight apparently.

Ronnie42
May 30 2012 Anchor

Silvermarch wrote: lol, one main difference is shoulder-mounted flashlight apparently.

Just curious but where did you hear that? kind of liked switching between flash light since added to the tension.

edit:

Just found it here:

Videogamer.com

But I do hope it includes co-op like the original xbox did. Even used mods to help make co-op work on pc but sometimes can bug me since it feels overcrowded, this should help build the hype for doom 4.

--

Kyou.
Kyou. Mornin.
May 30 2012 Anchor

Im still not sure how I feel about this. It seems I need to get my feels in check...

ambershee
May 30 2012 Anchor

Retrospectively, I guess it would have to have gone backwards; it's reasonable to assume that in order to fit into memory the textures would have had to be lower resolution (given that a 512MB graphics card did not have sufficient memory to run Doom 3 at maximum settings). I suspect high quality anti-aliasing also went out of thw window.

A shoulder mounted flashlight ruins a very significant mechanic of the game. I'm not sure what to make of that.

ronnie42 wrote: this should help build the hype for doom 4.

Doom 4 was cancelled.

Edited by: ambershee

May 30 2012 Anchor

Can't see anything that says, but if it's not out for PC that's kind of a slap in the face to all the modders who took a game that looked great in 2004 & keep it looking great in 2012.

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Ronnie42
May 30 2012 Anchor

ambershee wrote:

Doom 4 was cancelled.

No it isn't:

Uk.gamespot.com

ambershee wrote:

Can't see anything that says, but if it's not out for PC that's kind of a
slap in the face to all the modders who took a game that looked great
in 2004 & keep it looking great in 2012.

Its been confirmed for 360/ps3/pc, you should have watched the trailer because it clearly shows the cover for them. Maybe I should have mentioned that at start. :de: :nervous:

They only recently released the source recently for the modders to make the 'hd graphics update' but the collection will be including 7 new levels for doom 3, will includes all the original multplayer maps, will have an optional 3d mode.

--

Jun 1 2012 Anchor

ambershee wrote: Visually it looks like it's gone backwards.

Consoles will do that.. Can't even get Doom3 to look good.. *sigh*

Ronnie42
Jun 1 2012 Anchor

formerlyknownasMrCP wrote:

ambershee wrote: Visually it looks like it's gone backwards.

Consoles will do that.. Can't even get Doom3 to look good.. *sigh*

If your only care about the graphics then buy the pc version since I already confirmed it was going there. Also I couldn't care if the graphics were were than minecraft because for me I have always loved playing Doom.

--

Jun 1 2012 Anchor

Someone wrote: If your only care about the graphics

Doom 3 was a tech demo first, a game second. But beside that, the main selling point that they're going for with this re-release was that its a remastered release.. despite actually looking worse lol. But anyway, if they can't get it to look good on a console there's something wrong there, Doom3 wasn't a bad looking game when it came out. In terms of making sacrifices for texture size, that's kinda confusing since Doom3 would have actually fewer textures than most modern games. I'd be worried this would be a bad port job. But I'd be worried anyway given the publisher.

Edited by: formerlyknownasMrCP

ambershee
Jun 2 2012 Anchor

formerlyknownasMrCP wrote: Doom3 would have actually fewer textures than most modern games. I'd be worried this would be a bad port job. But I'd be worried anyway given the publisher.

It's actually very texture heavy, since they are particularly high resolution. The Xbox port however didn't look all that bad, but I'm guessing the 360 'remastered' port has more in line with the PC branch (and naturally is expected to run at 1080p with all the fancy-doodads, rather than just 'run').

Edited by: ambershee

Ronnie42
Jun 2 2012 Anchor

ambershee wrote:

formerlyknownasMrCP wrote: Doom3 would have actually fewer textures than most modern games. I'd be worried this would be a bad port job. But I'd be worried anyway given the publisher.

It's actually very texture heavy, since they are particularly high resolution. The Xbox port however didn't look all that bad, but I'm guessing the 360 'remastered' port has more in line with the PC branch (and naturally is expected to run at 1080p with all the fancy-doodads, rather than just 'run').

I don't get why some are hating on the textures. Personally I think some are just being picky since theres nothing wrong with the textures. I wouldn't have minded if it looked exactly the same as the original since for me I'm mainly coming back because I love the story, gameplay, of course the pc versions always going to be better but I prefer playing on the console since means can talk to my friends plus it means I can get away from computer. After a while my pc just reminds me of all the personal work I have to do.

--

DragonNOR
DragonNOR Voice Actor
Jun 5 2012 Anchor

I guess its going to be a nice pick-me-up for those who haven't played it yet for whatever reason. But its not enough of a change for me to buy it over again x)
I agree with the flashlight, if they've made it shouldermounted then they've removed a large part of what made Doom 3...well Doom 3. I reckon they decided it was overly clumsy to use when playing it on console, but having to choose between being able to see and shoot was part of what made the game scary.

--

My VA Showreel:
Youtube.com

My VA Website:
Ssydtangen.wix.com

Ronnie42
Jun 5 2012 Anchor

DragonNOR wrote:
I agree with the flashlight, if they've made it shouldermounted then they've removed a large part of what made Doom 3...well Doom 3. I reckon they decided it was overly clumsy to use when playing it on console, but having to choose between being able to see and shoot was part of what made the game scary.

Agreed with you there but the only reason why they changed is because this generation are a bunch of cowards that constantly moaned about it making it too scary. Without the torch some moments will lose its atmosphere like when we have try (not forced) to protect a scientist in the dark before instand we get ambushed from every direction.

Including the doom 3 bfg lost mission trailer:

My reasons for getting this is the achievements, the ability to play in party chat, the fact that the controls are configured already for the xbox plus the fact that it will include new levels that my even show a sneak preview of doom 4. They did a similar thing with the doom collectors edition for the pc to show off doom 3.

--

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.