Forum Thread
Call For Content: 4 Week Modeling Challenge (Forums : 3D Modeling & Animating : Call For Content: 4 Week Modeling Challenge) Locked
Thread Options
DeviantGerman
DeviantGerman German and deviant
Oct 4 2011 Anchor

Alright, so, I'm planning to get into my next self-imposed modeling challenge. The format, as I stated in the old challenge, has changed and now is not segregated by months but rather run a 4 week course, in which there is a week of rest before the next 4 week challenge. So, in preparation for the start of my next 4 week challenge, to begin on Friday, I am calling on you the community.

I need a topic. This should be a topic that would allow me to do a singular model from start to finish, textured, posed if needed, and rendered. What this means is that obviously environmental challenges are beyond the scope of the week time line for each successive model, so it is a prospect that needs to be attainable within 1 week, allowing me to do 4 models within the 4 week challenge time frame.

So, any ideas or suggestions you, the community, have for a topic will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to re-starting this self challenge and putting out some more content for those of you who are paying attention to me.

Edited by: DeviantGerman

Oct 4 2011 Anchor

A goat!

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

DeviantGerman
Oct 4 2011 Anchor

Haha, well it needs to be a broad topic, something that can sustain 4 separate models over the course of 4 weeks. Though interesting. I wonder if I could do 4 different versions of a goat, haha.

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Oct 4 2011 Anchor

Teenage Mutant Ninja Goats.
Do you prefer one thing over the other (characters, hard-edged objects?)

DeviantGerman
Oct 4 2011 Anchor

It's not about preference, it's about challenge. Challenging myself to model and create things outside of my norm to increase my experience, ability and repertoire. And inspiring others to do the same so we may, as one, grow into better artists. So whatever you can think of is perfectly fine.

And I'm now giggling in my head in regards to the visual of a bipedal goat with a bandanna and a pair of hooked-horn nun-chucks.

Oct 4 2011 Anchor

DeviantGerman wrote: Haha, well it needs to be a broad topic, something that can sustain 4 separate models over the course of 4 weeks. Though interesting. I wonder if I could do 4 different versions of a goat, haha.

Just search for some goat images.

Off the top of my head: mountain, pigmy, angora, saanen, nubian (one on my profile page), and boer.

--

DeviantGerman
Oct 4 2011 Anchor

I'll keep it in mind Friar, thanks for the suggestions. If I get enough suggestions then prior to Friday I will list them all and pick one at random, then throw all prior suggestions into the que for later challenges.

Oct 4 2011 Anchor

I'd say animals in general would be a good practice because you have a nice variety of features to deal with: faces like people, but not like people so it's a different type of face to model, multiple legs, fur, etc.

--

DeviantGerman
Oct 4 2011 Anchor

Indeed, and admittedly, a current weak point of mine. I do like the idea of sticking to a single animal and seeing how many ways I can make them interesting. Each week starts with a new concept, so while 1 could be of a regular goat of some breed, the next could be some awesome anthropomorphic steam-punk goat character, or whatever else my mind comes up with.

DeviantGerman
Oct 4 2011 Anchor

Indeed, and admittedly, a current weak point of mine. I do like the idea of sticking to a single animal and seeing how many ways I can make them interesting. Each week starts with a new concept, so while 1 could be of a regular goat of some breed, the next could be some awesome anthropomorphic steam-punk goat character, or whatever else my mind comes up with.

Oct 5 2011 Anchor

DeviantGerman wrote: the next could be some awesome anthropomorphic steam-punk goat character.

That would be neat looking. :D

--

DeviantGerman
Oct 6 2011 Anchor

Yeah, it does randomly sound awesome, haha. If I wasn't so heavy in concept work for my side-scroller indie game I might consider doing that just for fun. Perhaps on a work break or something when I'm bored, considering I always carry a mini-sketch book with me.

Oct 6 2011 Anchor

Steam punk vehicles!!
Hmmm, thats a thing i have never tried out myself.. @_@

--

Think It. Sketch It. Create It. Repeat. 
User Posted Image

DeviantGerman
Oct 6 2011 Anchor

Alright, so 2 options thus far, goats and steam punk vehicles, haha. If no one else pitches in it'll be a choice between those 2. Admittedly, I like them both for the creativity they would allow in expanding on the themes. Steam punk as well is another very weak spot for me, and anything really related to hard surface modeling, so steam punk vehicles would sure be a lesson for me.

Oct 9 2011 Anchor

Architecture would really help me :) if you are any good at it

Oct 9 2011 Anchor

Space ships

Edited by: masternerdguy

--

All posts are phase shifted and routed through the main deflector dish for quality assurance purposes.

DeviantGerman
Oct 9 2011 Anchor

masternerdguy wrote: Space ships

Did that last challenge.

ProfNutButters wrote: Architecture would really help me :) if you are any good at it

It's not a matter of if I'm good at it, it's a matter of challenging myself to get better at it. Your request is validated. That gives me three choices now. Thanks for the input Prof.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.