Warcraft Total War is a total conversion mod for Medieval II Total War. Our goal is to bring the Warcraft universe into a Total War game. This mod will feature epic battles with units from the Warcraft universe and a new campaign that will cover the events of the Third War and beyond.
I've re-uploaded the mod 2022-07-22 - and it's been updated with too many gameplay changes to count, as it includes stuff from last year - it also has fixing and gameplay improvements. Thrugg added new family members, traits and ancillaries, Abeam made new unit_info cards for 70+ units & I have fixed and improved stuff. The Official RELEASE of Warcraft Total War 2.3. Installation: (Steam) 1. You need to go into the folder named "Medieval II Total War" and then copy the file named "medieval2.exe" - then rename the copied file to kingdoms.exe. This is needed or the mod won't launch with Steam. 2. You do need to patch the medieval2.exe and the kingdoms.exe with a program named "4gb patch" or the "Large Address Aware"-patch. 4. You need to have just one folder named "WTW" as in "Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\WTW - and then You'll start it by double-cllicking the executable.bat-file of the mod. - CD instead it would be "D:\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\WTW
I've re-uploaded the mod 2022-07-22 - and it's been updated with too many gameplay changes to count, as it includes stuff from last year - it also has fixing and gameplay improvements. Thrugg added new family members, traits and ancillaries, Abeam made new unit_info cards for 70+ units & I have fixed and improved stuff.
Changes include but are not limited to:
1. Many new traits & ancillaries by Thrugg - for many additional family members.
2.Over 70 new unit_info-cards by Abeam - for mostly mercenaries and every Troll unit of the mod.
3. Fixing of bugs, including the Ahn'Qhiraj general and the Naga general Najentus who would both cause a crash to desktop in melee due to incompatible animations for the unit as compared to the generic general of the faction - so the generic general is a ranged unit for both the Naga and the Ahn'Qiraj factions - and a infantry unit can't be used without crashing as it is lacking the secondary animations used by the generic general. All generals are forced to use the same animations. I've removed Najentus as a general in battle and made him an officer there, while the Anub'Shatterer-unit is no longer available for Ahn'Qiraj and is the unique bodyguard of the Kingdom of Azjol'Nerub.
4. Given a bunch of units the "berserker" mental state & the "Warcry"-attribute - these units include the Sandfury Blood Drinkers of the Farraki Trolls, the Gurubashi Bloodslayers of the Gurubashi Trolls, the Amanishi Warmongers of the Amani Trolls, the God Hunter Slayers of the Drakari Trolls, the Naga Brutes of the Naga & the Dragonflayer Ironhelms of the Vrykul - all of them can now go berserk in battle which gives the unit a heroic attribute. They're as powerful as the Blademasters and the Trollslayers in this regard but with different stats of course.
5. Garrison Script remade in both campaigns - First off all the mages/casters have been removed so there won't be spawning mages out of nowhere when you attack an important settlement, and second Lordaeron, Quel'Thalas & Stromgarde won't get garrisons in the Reign of Chaos-campaign except for Stromgarde in its capital. The Scourge would never stand a chance otherwise and in order for the Blood Elves to spawn, or the Forsaken (both of which spawn at the same time) Quel'Thalas needs to be down to 1 city and Silvermoon needs to be held by the Scourge. Lordaeron needs to be down to 3 cities left - for Death Knight Arthas to spawn in this campaign - So I didn't want the Scourge to face too many armies which made the spawns impossible. I therefore deleted said garrison script for the Alliance of Lordaeron-factions.
6. Bandit Raiders fixed - they used to not be able to attack any other unit in melee, something I found out a few months back while playing the Goblins/Trade Coalition - I had to fix the animations in use for th emodel by changing things around in one of the files for the unit to start attacking enemy cavalry and infantry - but then another issue showed up - the unit had no weapon in melee. I had then to edit the model in MS3D and add a secondary weapon to it - the unit will now use axes in melee against any enemy unit and will no longer be worthless. The unit is a mercenary unit for all the factions int he game in certain areas on the map - and it's one of the Trade Coalition factional units as well.
7. Blood Elves and Scarlet Crusade starting armies nerfed - they've been remade into basic/medium with very few elite infantry units. They no longer have elite armies entirely made up of elites.
8. Lordaeron, Quel'Thalas and Stromgarde starting army numbers in the RoC-campaign cut in half - with their best units replaced with weaker units. These factions have been made weaker to make things a bit more fair to the Scourge AI.
9. The Scourge and the Vrykul are now allies in both campaigns - as the Drakari Trolls are the most powerful faction in Northrend and always wins it would seem. They were allies in lore and the only reason we had them as enemies was that we thought Scourge needed an enemy - but the Drakari is the one in need of a stronger enemy alliance.
10. The Farraki Trolls has a Huge_City capital instead of a large_city capital.
11. The Farraki Trolls unit Sandfury Darkcallers - a unit of young female Farraki Troll mages - were only available from castles in the older releases - I fixed this and they're now available from cities as well.
12.The Ahn'Qiraj cavalry - the Silithid Behemoths and the Silithid Colossi - have been nerfed by reducing their HP (Hit Points, points that they can take before dying) from 4 & 5 to 2 & 2 - the Farraki cannow kill their cavalry even though the Silithid Cavalry is still deadly but now they aren't immortal.
13. Trade Coalition giants - the Colossal Warform - were never recruited for the faction. It would seem I had placed the wrong hidden resource causing this unit to be only recruitable from the wrong locations in the mod. I've fixed the mistake and it is now available from all the starting settlements of the Trade Coalition - cstle or city doesn't matter - but it needs to be a huge city or a citadel, and you'd also need the correct building.
14. In the Frozen Throne campaign I've moved Prince Muradin of Khaz'Modan to Frosthold in Northrend, he was moved there together with 10 units of Khaz'Modan dwarves - he also has access to the 10 previously rebel controlled Frostborn dwarves - Khaz'Modan (and/or the Darkiron Dwarves) can recruit the Frostborn Dwarves from Frosthold when captured - and now Prince Muradin starts in Frosthold. He travelled to Northrend together with Prince Arthas Menethil so it made sense.
15. The Horde starts with Stonard in the Estern Kingdoms, where they have one big army of Orcs - they take the role previously held by the Burning Legion as another enemy for Stormwind - the area became no challenge at all for Stormwind after removing the Legion so the Horde really were needed here.
16. Regent-Lord Lor'Themar Theron for the Blood Elves in the Frozen Throne-campaign - now has the same battle model in battle as he has on the strat-map.
17. Might be other tweaks and fixes in here as well.
I've re-uploaded the mod 2021-05-04 to version 2.2 - and it's been updated with too many gameplay changes to count, as it includes stuf from last year - it also has two unique campaigns, giants working, heroes in battle etc!
The mod will now require you to launch it through the Medieval 2 Total War Engine overhaul Tool (M2TWEOP-tool) - go to Hyrule Total War: Classic Ultimate and it's page to find an article with instructions on how to use it - including a video - I will create one for Warcraft soon.
The update is huge, as it includes content from last year that wasn't in the previous releases - content that I released a week ago on the Discord - but it also includes fixes since then and a bunch of new heroes in battle, a couple of new units and what-not.
Changes of this version compared to release from a little more than a week ago:
1. New Kael'Thas strat-map model in the Reign of Chaos-campaign using a blue skin!
2. Prince/King kael'Thas now has a unique battle-map model!
3. New Vereesa Windrunner custom-skin in battle!
4. The great demon Kazrogal added as a unique custom hero to battle!
5. Night Elven Huntress Naisha a custom hero in battle!
6. Tyrande Whisperwind is now a custom hero in battle!
7. Varimathras added as a hero to the Forsaken in battle - all the Dreadlords in the Legion have unique skins made by warcraftHero in battle. The Dreadlord-general no longet CTD - the bodyguard of the Burning Legion are now Dreadlords - Wrathguards were too small for the Dreadlord-general to handle.
8. Amaren and Nials of Stromgarde now has unique female custom models!
9. New Lady Vashj custom character and a new Naga bodyguard/general!
10. Scarlet Crusade leaders are now Grand Scarlet Crusaders in battle!
11. New HE Sylvannas Windrunner/Undead Sylvannas Windrunner!
12. Paladins of the Silver Hand replaced with a new model!
13. Strat-map models of Lady Vashj, Undead/HE Sylvannas and Uther the Lightbringer!
14. Naga Sirens a new unit for the Naga!
15. New Scarlet Crusade unit - "Onslaught Crusaders"!
16. Warcraft Total War now has two diverse campaigns - Both the campaigns are now different from each other!
17. New starting buildings for most factions!
18. New starting garrisons in both campaigns - for all the playable factions and the rebels/Minor factions!
I've re-uploaded the mod 2021-04-24 - and it's been updated with at least 69 new strat-models at minimum. It also has a few updates to both campaigns - removing any CTD-friendly unit and improving things. - Now it also has big changes to the Frozen Throne-campaign, and it has been changed over the entire map.
New WIP-version includes:
1. Fixed Dryad Merchant.
2. Added custom Ymirjar Champion generals to the Scourge.
3. Added custom Banshee generals to the Scourge and the Forsaken.
4. New Forsaken custom heroes and agents on the map as strat-map models.
5. New Kraken ship for the Naga.
6. New High/Blood Elven strat-models (where in the prior Discord release).
7. New Naga strat-models (where in the previous Discord-release).
8. New Burning Legion strat-map agents and generals including custom ones.
9. A remade Frozen Throne campaign with every continent and faction changed to better fit the FT-timeline.
- Gameplay changes in the FT-campaign includes:
1. Increased Scourge starting-garrisons in five settlements in Eastern Kingdoms.
2. New settlements at the start for the majority of the factions.
3. Alliances between the Horde, Theramore and the Night Elves in Kalimdor.
4. Lordaeron at war with the Blood Elves/Naga at the start.
5. Certain factions moved like the Naga and the Blood Elves have been moved from Eastern Kingdoms to Northrend - the Blood Elves still hold Silvermoon and the Sunwell in EK.
6. Stromgarde has Southshore and Lordaeron has Dalaran, Lordaeron only starts with Dalaran, Theramore has the Kul'Tiras Isle including Daelin and Tandred Proudmoore, Khaz'Modan has Menethil (harbor).
7. King Kael'Thas and Marshall Garithos Othmar have elite armies to better enable them to fight the elite Scourge-armies.
8. And besides these changes Death Knight Arthas now spawns in Northrend as well where he will besiege Ulduar held by the Blood Elves through a script.
This is not the promised next release however, this is more like a minor update showing off what's to come. Still these strat-models have taken their time to implement.
The Official PUBLIC BETA RELEASE of Warcraft Total War 2.1 - UPDATED april 24 2021.
Always start a quickbattle after re-starting the game using the new version, before you launch a new campaign.
1. You need to go into the folder named "Medieval II Total War" and then copy the file named "medieval2.exe" - then rename the copied file to kingdoms.exe. This is needed or the mod won't launch with Steam.
2. You do need to patch the medieval2.exe and the kingdoms.exe with a program named "4gb patch" found at this link:
3. It's a program, extract it anywhere on your computer, then run it as an administrator - then browse to both .exe-files inside of the "Medieval II Total War"-folder and select one of them and click on "patch" - then repeat the process with the other one.
4. You need to have just one folder named "WTW" as in "Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\WTW - and then You'll start it by double-cllicking the executable.bat-file of the mod.
5. With the CD instead it would be "D:\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\WTW - and you'll still start it by double-clicking on the executable.bat-file.
Also, download the MedievalII.Preference-file that i did upload on here & place in main Medieval II Total War folder - replacing the old file there. This will enable you to play defensive battles in hotseat, as well as prevent a bug causing CTD when clicking buildings on the campaign - it will also make FMV's work.
WARNING: DO NOT PLAY THIS MOD WITH ADVISOR ON, NEVER CLICK ADVISOR - mod will CTD!
Version 1.9 changelist:
1. New Vrykul faction in both campaigns.
2. New campaign victory conditions for all the factions in both the main campaign and the Frozen Throne custom campaign - for both the short and long campaigns.
3. New projectiles for the 4 most OP mages based on Warcraft 3 - Priests of the Holy Light, Elven Arcanists, Far Seers and the Orc Shamans. The first two were totally Over Powered in 1.6.
4. Many units available for other races in the custom battles in "All" based on lore.
5. Mercs in the campaign over the entire world. Rebel units are now mercs if they were not enemies in lore. - This means that Centaurs etc are still only rebels. But lots of the others such as Furbolgs & Bandits are now mercs.
6. Regional recruitment between Humans, Insects and Orcs in the campaign.
7. Better starting garrisons for certain factions such as Theramore.
8. Vrykul cities are Scourge-cities in the campaign.
9. Troll recruitment only done for cavalry in castle-type buildings- you can recruit any cav-unit as any troll-faction, when you conquer the other trolls.
10. Theramore has a new skin for the Golden Pikes and the Theramore Cataphracts.
11. Vrykul Battlemaidens and Stormgiants have new fixed models.
12. Two EDU-files - the old one but updated in the sense that the rebel/slave-faction no longer has Vrykul and Trade Coalition/Goblin units. The giants are also once again single-units in the custom battles.
The new alternative EDU is a version edited for the "memory editing"-tool by Aura and another guy. I attempted to add single-man giants, dragons etc to remove the old CTD in the middle of the battles. But the Burning Legion still crashed. I decided in the end to just remove all the giants, giant monsters (not counting mammoths and kodo riders) and other units that caused CTD mid-battle.
-They are edited out in the EDB and could be easily re-activated in the file as the entries are still there. However, for them to be single-units you'd need to use the EDU with "memory editing" in it's name. In order to do this you'd need to rename it to the name of the other and vice versa. And also you'd need to run the memory editing program or tool found in the WTW-directory. Will work better than before but the Legion is gonna crash a lot.
If you use the vanilla one and play with all those units removed i think the mod will be very stable.
Credits of V 1.9;
Bantu Chieftain - Rigging the new Vrykul models, creating the new projectiles for the four casters, updating the Theramore skins, fixing the old Vrykul models.
Mr_Nygren - Coding the rest of the updte pretty much.
Aura - Memory Editing tool.
Version 1.5 CREDITS:
Elder Scrolls: Total War and LordNazgul for the Night Elven custom settlements (skins by Bantu Chieftain) and for the Undead village/town in use by the Scourge.
Hyrule Total War and Undying Nephalim for lots of custom settlements in use by many factions (skins remade by Bantu Chieftain)!
DBM and it's creator for the Aztecs vanilla settlements that he/they did have available as files in their mod used by the Troll factions in this mod (reskins by Bantu Chieftain)!
Great Sea: Total War Beta and Undying Nephalim for one of the custom settlements (water removed) in use by the Ahn'Qiraj faction!
Third Age: Total War and the Alternative Patch by leo.civil.uefs for the custom settlements in use by the Dark Iron Dwarves!
- Link to his thread over at TWC as requested from him in order for me to use his stuff:
More to come in the article i am about to write!
Enjoy the update as it's vast!
Mr_Nygren, Eoghan Wolfkin, Bantu Chieftain, TheHappyCrusader, Sulfurion Blackfyre &WarcraftHero - all the work on the mod itself turning things into Warcraft style, adding units, adding new menu, new scripts, new animations, the whole EDB, EDU, descr_strat etc - all work on turning the map-only alpha into this version.
Warcraft3Underground fan-site for Warcraft 3 moding - lots of models that we riged for the mod.
Undying Nephalim and Hyrule Total War - Animations and Undead siege engines.
Myth Total War - Animations.
Akhtross Total War - Animations and projectiles.
Call of Warhammer/The Sundering/Beginning of the End Timess - Animations, strat-models for elven princesses, projectiles, Siege engines, ship strat-models and base models for our new models.
Elder Scrolls: Total War - some of Eoghans Undead units were based on Undead from this mod.
Bare Geomod - UI textfiles.
East of Rome - Marka Horse basemodel and texture
Europa Barbarorum 2 team - Skynet Battle AI and campaign script.
Stainless Steel - Savage Campaign AI.
Changes since the demo are too many to list here. Enjoy!
"The "Warcraft" logo, the characters, races, places, names, story and background are Blizzard property, the mod is in no way tied with the company, this mod is only a free fan-made project with no profit involved.
The "Warcraft: Total War: Official PUBLIC BETA 1.0" is not an attempt at a "World of Warcraft: Total War", - it is an attempt for a full release of a Warcraft Three (Third War) Total War."
PS: Don't use too many Mountain Giants, Sea Giants, Molten Giants or Infernals in the same battle or it will CTD due to polygon hardcoded limit in Medieval II being breached - and try not to have too many big demons in the same small area neither.
Otherwise strat-map is fully stable and battles may only CTD randomly. Always save before a battle. CTRL S will create quick saves.