Added news 12.27.2014
Please support this project, it can use active participation from developers
this project started as a test to port 3-D models from the original games and rendered them directly in the browser, and it grew from there… a groundbreaking milestone was porting and rendering the 3-D models of light sabers in real-time in a browser, which is a unique accomplishment and the first of its kind, as far as I know. the current proof of concept also includes the dialogue example, quick bar, and abilities screen( press K in game to open the abilities window).. The current design includes an orthographic camera ( for a pseudo-isometric look).
Although this project is basically a standalone game made in ActionScript 3 here are some major Credits:KOTOR for 3-D resources, SWTOR for UI and icons. Kings Road from Rumble Games for the background images. the skills and talents classes are heavily influenced by Dragon Age Journeys. the dialogue Look and feel is from Mass Effect. The way the dialogue works is reversed engineered from KOTOR, based on tk102 dialogue parser/editor
More Credits: in the current state this project would have not been possible without SEA3D and Away3D, Starling/Feathers, Gildor(Kostya) UDK ActorX Importer 3DS Max script ,Khotar(Vito) Animation Transfer 3DS Max script
for the past few weeks or so I worked on implementing some behavior for target seeking and obstacles avoiding, and after poking around for a while, I ran into Eugene Zatepyakin's work Blog.inspirit.ru
the result is basic and far from perfect, but functional nonetheless. Currently when the player clicks, the 3-D coordinates are evaluated, if the click is on the path, a blank hidden character is created and positioned at the same coordinates as the click, and all the other NPCs are treated as obstacles, while the blank hidden character is set as target for the seeking class. The behavior is the same if the click is on an NPC, said NPC becomes the target for the seeking class, and the remaining NPCs on the map are treated as obstacles.
So far in my tests I didn't test moving obstacles, but the class is implemented to evaluate the NPCs position per frame and the difference between source character and target character also per frame, so ideally it should work just fine. :-)
TO DO: for some reason I'm reluctant to use physics, unless I learn of a specific benefit that comes from implementing physics, I'll make due using classes such as the above. Also, some rotation when avoiding obstacles may be nice
the source code of this project is now on GitHub, available open source